Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #31
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I've had issues with Wossner pistons in a twin. The weight between the pair was 15 grams different. Just one instance but it did cure me of ever considering them again. Never seen that with Wiseco,ProX and OEM (ART).
Thanks for the advice. Wisco it is. I've used Wiseco pistons before in 4 strokes, and they worked well also.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
DocRogers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
My brother had one of these back in the day, the rest of us had IT 175s, YZ 125s, etc. we called the 465 the Beast, and it was a blast to ride. Here he is on it, circa 1981...
Great bike! Enjoy
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I can understand the beast title. As soon as they're started that thought come to mind, even before the clutch is let out.
I can wait to get it running again. As soon as the piston comes in, I'll send the cylinder and head to forward motion engines. Looks like the cylinder well clean out good at 86.5mm. While that's happening I found a lot of little things to fix. I'll just check it over one bolt at a time.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #34
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
At 86.5 MM the liner is bound to be thin. A suggestion or two. First run 32:1 fuel/oil ratio. Second,run race fuel. Not necessarily high octane but a good leaded fuel. I like the VP U4 series. My YZ is only on the second oversize and when I rebuilt the crank it was only to balance but if it's in my hands it gets new bearings. There's much to be said for good fuel and I'm sure much will be said.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #35
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
At 86.5 MM the liner is bound to be thin. A suggestion or two. First run 32:1 fuel/oil ratio. Second,run race fuel. Not necessarily high octane but a good leaded fuel. I like the VP U4 series. My YZ is only on the second oversize and when I rebuilt the crank it was only to balance but if it's in my hands it gets new bearings. There's much to be said for good fuel and I'm sure much will be said.
Sounds like good advice, because the fuel here is awful. I'm having the compression lowered slightly, for that reason. I'm sure it well still have more than enough power for the woods. All those trees coming at you, makes ya think your going fast anyway.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #36
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have the YZ465 together again. I sent the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr to improve the power band for woods riding, and to run better on pump gas. Now it seems to be making a lot of power everywhere. I want to get the jetting right. With the 86.5mm bore, it's now at almost 482cc's. I looked at the Carburetor, and the jetting is. Main jet 390, Needle jet Type 166 Q-0, Needle 6DH4, Pilot #45. Slide is a 3.0. I want to try a 3.5 slide mod, but I think then I'll need to install a richer needle, Like a Q-8. Do the Type 247 and type 166 flow the same, if the size number is the same? And how did Yamaha use the type 247 needle jet in the mikuni carburetor? Dose it use a different spacer?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
athomerecords25
Vintage YZ *****

Oddometer: 99
Thumb

So many great threads like yours on the Yamaha YZ465's and mine has completely fell off. Thank you for keeping us all updated. I know I appreciate it and it gives me motivation.
athomerecords25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomerecords25 View Post
So many great threads like yours on the Yamaha YZ465's and mine has completely fell off. Thank you for keeping us all updated. I know I appreciate it and it gives me motivation.
Thanks. Just keep working on it. It's been taking me longer to get my YZ465 together completely, than I'd like. I wasted a month at least just trying to decide how to paint the engine. Now the motors in and I started to think why did the last piston destroy itself. The bike runs great, but I want to have it last. That's why I'm asking more about jetting. This picture shows the motor in, I'll paint the frame later. I now have the pipe solidly mounted in. But I just bought new stock rubber mounts and well do it all over.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #39
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the carburetor on my yz465. The longer needle jet is a 247 and the shorter one is the 166 style. I bought a Q-8 247, thinking it would work and that I had a Yamaha mikuni. Well it had the 166 needle jet, so I guess it's just a standard VM38mm. Unless something is missing? Did Yamaha use a completely different mikuni carburetor body? Or did Yamaha use a spacer that allowed the use of the 247 needle jet? I looked up the yz465 carburetor, but some of the parts in question are no longer available. I ordered some more 166 series jets, just in case.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #40
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the old piston. This is what I'm trying to avoid. Plus I want the bike to start and run even better too.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #41
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I also found this. I've been told that a leaking crankshaft seal could cause a lean condition and ruin a motor too. And before I got the bike, a leaking base gasket was replaced. Maybe not good also.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #42
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 422
Mudmantra; PM sent.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #43
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,054
Laugh

I had one of these , bought new.
I wish I could be restored to my 1980 condition.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #44
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
I had one of these , bought new.
I wish I could be restored to my 1980 condition.
Yes I wish I could too. But when I fire up the YZ465 I feel 30 years younger. Much cooler to me than the newer refined bikes. Plus you click it into gear and it takes off like an absolute dragster.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #45
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed a new crankshaft seal. Started the beast, after I remembered to turn the gas on. I have to remember that out is off, and in is on. On the bright side and got more kick start practice. Blasted up the hill and almost flipped it over on the first hill climb. That was a rush. Things to fix. Silencer is still not mounted right. Pipe needs to be removed and mounted with the Yamaha dampers. The head pipe only has 2 springs, I think it needs 3. I think the pipe needs another hook brazed on it. If anyone has a picture of that, it would help. I need to look at the brakes too. the front completely stopped working. Might be an adjustment, but a better look them over, just in case I need to stop.