Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #76
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontwheel21 View Post
@Albie your (off-)topic is unfortunately missing the point/problem. Gros Buck even didn't read that I am talking about problems with the position 1 mapping. But anyway, despite this obvious ignorance the point is that many guys are right now buying the new 690 model MY2012 because it is considered very reliable for a single cylinder. Imagine this new 2012 model has service intervals of 10,000 km, thus more than the LC8 Adventure with 7500 km service intervals. Moreover, the new model has improved also small technical issues like friction with the radiator/cooler and other parts. And yes, of course this bike has still some known "typical weaknesses". But together with the extremely cultivated performance of this single cylinder many customers have good reason to believe that they purchase a relatively reliable LC4, despite all the "negative information" from older models which they surely read before investing almost 10K Euro for the new model. That's why they still want to know in this special thread if there are still major problems with this model. I have just reported one major problem with the new model but that doesn't mean that I am unhappy with my bike...By the way, this is not my first KTM so I know why I made my buying decision...
You need to lighten up or the guys will mess with you.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #77
wino975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Frontwheller21,let me give you some advice, give a read at the topic on tunecu and the map for the 690....

You have confused ideas about the three map of the 690
wino975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #78
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
@Bill: The guys are already messing, because one gives a misleading statement to something which I have definitely not said and the other thinks I should have no reason to believe in improved reliability of the 2012 model with newly increased service intervals...I will give no further statement to them cause all this has nothing to do with the intention to simply describe the technical failure I experienced.

@wino: I have not confused ideas about the three maps, I have just suspected that driving with Akra exhaust without cat in mapping position 1 may possibly (!) be the reason for the technical failure I described. Maybe this citation is interesting in this context:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickwheeler View Post
These bikes are mapped VERY lean from the factory to meet EPA standards for emissions... putting a new silencer will open up the exhaust flow, causing it to run even more lean. The EFI will try to accommodate by adjusting to the new MAF (mass air flow) rate, but the base fuel mixture is still going to be very lean.

Regardless of the "feel" or how much apparent power there is, the valves and head will suffer with a mix that is too lean.
Frontwheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #79
wino975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
it's simply impossible.
In addition THE FUEL MAP IS THE SAME IN ALL THE THREE POSITION, the differences are only in the EP map...

please.... Take a look
wino975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #80
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Concerning the map select under the seat bank I found this here in the forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post

It switches between fuel map, ignition map LO map AND EPT map.

however the EPT map is the only one that you really notice.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...364511&page=36
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #81
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,166
The weak area on the '12 IMO is the dealers. They don't believe your problem or can't find the problem.
For me it is easy to get disillusioned with this bike.
There is always a worry with this bike, whether its fueling or electronics glitch of some sort. For a premium bike I feel the electrical is cheap.
My bike stalls at low rpm's. Hard to be confident in the technical sections with a stalling bike...
I fall uphill most of the time.
Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 08:57 AM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #82
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
I know, Pantah, that's the killer-I weigh 156. And it's nice to be able to get the stand down on a hill and still dismount to the high side. While only slightly taller than you I've adapted to it OK because my XR was as tall as the 690. I agree, this bike needs a 1 inch standectomy.
I put my Kouba Link on today and remounted the stock sidestand to see the effect. Wasn't really much different so I am having a half inch taken off. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

The bike is definitely a little lower, though. I can get my leg over the seat without my stirrup mount method. Also, it is easier for me to tilt the bike right so I can get the sidestand up. 1/2 inch should be perfect. If not enough, I can always cut a little more.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #83
LanceSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I installed the Kouba link and dropped the forks 20 mm but then I had to shorten the side stand too. I found that the suspension 'settled in' after a period. With the link lowering the bike 41 mm (claimed, not measured but that feels about right) the side stand was way to high. Ended up taking about 40 mm out.
I had a machine shop turn me a plug that fitted into the 2 halves of the cut side stand but left a central ridge on the plug. So it couldn't slip further into either section. A small weld was then put in place and some black aerosol. Bobs your uncle.
.................................................. .........
Never argue, never justify, never defend
LanceSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #84
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceSA View Post
I installed the Kouba link and dropped the forks 20 mm but then I had to shorten the side stand too. I found that the suspension 'settled in' after a period. With the link lowering the bike 41 mm (claimed, not measured but that feels about right) the side stand was way to high. Ended up taking about 40 mm out.
I had a machine shop turn me a plug that fitted into the 2 halves of the cut side stand but left a central ridge on the plug. So it couldn't slip further into either section. A small weld was then put in place and some black aerosol. Bobs your uncle.
Thanks. My link is the shorter one. I won't be lowering the front either I don't think. It'll have a little more trail in the geometry, though. I believe my suspension had already settled in that I have about 3k km on it with quite a bit off-road.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #85
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
The weak area on the '12 IMO is the dealers. They don't believe your problem or can't find the problem.
For me it is easy to get disillusioned with this bike.
There is always a worry with this bike, whether its fueling or electronics glitch of some sort. For a premium bike I feel the electrical is cheap.
My bike stalls at low rpm's. Hard to be confident in the technical sections with a stalling bike...
I fall uphill most of the time.
Seems the 2012s have a few issues, the backfiring being one in particular which may be due to the bike running so lean. Mine was back firing through the throttle body and pushing the air box and rubber coupling along with it's sensors off. Back fired once hard enough to drive the TPS sensor into the frame and crack it. I had it at the dealer yesterday to get a new sensor installed. The dealer wasn't sure it would be covered under warranty because I had since changed the pipe and added the Akro map to richen up the fueling, however dealer made the call to KTM who acknowledged that the back firing is a known issue. This part is hearsay as I wasn't on the phone with KTM but the dealer came back and told me - yes it is going to be covered under warranty, KTM recognizes that it is an issue AND KTM is recommends adding a after market exhaust and the Akro map to fix the problem

My experience to date with a FMF Q4 pipe and Akro map with 2% fuel added pretty much across the board is no more backfiring and no stalling except due to my crappy skills on the trail. Last night I had the bike out for a pretty good run off road, high temps and lots of rough areas that required some clutch play to pick your way through and had no issues.

There is definitely some work KTM needs to do with the tune on the 2012.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #86
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Would you classify your backfiring as a lean misfire? That is what I have. I also had an issue with the throttle body but it was due to the airbox being pushed back as explained on the wunderfest tread, not a backfire. I rerouted some stuff under the airbox and its all good now. I do still get an occasional lean misfire, but it doesn't effect the throttle body.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #87
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Back fired once hard enough to drive the TPS sensor into the frame and crack it. I had it at the dealer yesterday to get a new sensor installed. The dealer wasn't sure it would be covered under warranty because I had since changed the pipe and added the Akro map ....
Thanks mate for the detailed description....so I think we got the same problem

My sensor was changed for free (warranty). Tomorrow I will go to my local dealer and have a serious word with him

In terms of different mapping choices, I think all this is just a "bonus". However, if this bonus bears the danger to damage essential parts of the bike, I will in future just drive with one optimized mapping.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #88
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I haven't had one single backfire or issue on my 2012. Weird.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #89
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
I haven't had one single backfire or issue on my 2012. Weird.
Word.

I only have 140 miles on it so far, but I'm a die hard rev-matcher for down shifting and happily use engine braking whenever I can...

So far...so quiet...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #90
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Hi,

I have been at my local dealer today. Although we could not clarify the cause for the TPS sensor failure, he got some interesting news concerning the Akra mapping. In June, there has been distributed an official round mail from KTM to all dealers (KTMDealer.net). The title of the mail: "Akra Mapping for 690 EnduroR/SMCR 2012".

In this mail they write that the Akra mapping for slipon and the complete exhaust system is available in the download center. (Basically it is the Evo 1 mapping KM765EU12B0231 which they call herewith literally Akra mapping). Now comes the interesting point. They write that this Akra mapping should ONLY be used in combination with the open air filter cover and not just with the closed stock filter cover. They write (translated): "The mapping is not exclusively for the exhaust system!...It requires for the 2012 models the open air filter cover".

Obviously, KTM realized that the new 2012 models not just need the Akra mapping if you have an Akra without cat but you also need that surplus of oxygen intake via the open filter.

I got this open filter today and the machine pulls like hell.