Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #91
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
The only thing to be aware of is air mattresses don't work so well when its cold out. They often allow the cold air to come through them. Although in the summer, you might be thankful for that.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #92
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Bowling Green rush hour is busy but not bad (unless there is an accident)-3 lanes on each side of I-65 and Bowling Green isnt really that big. Now Nashville, rush hour sucks. I live in Indiana and my wife lives in Florida (work related) and I travel down a few times each year. I have been stopped in stop-go traffic from 20-30 miles north of Nashville to past Murpheesboro (sp?).
Back in 07, I took by little gz250 I had at the time on a 2500 mile trip to Florida and came back up 231 thru Alabama, Tennesee and KY, not too bad of a road except going thru towns and cities with a stop light every block.
Anytime anyone is in southern Indiana (Louisville Ky) area and need a place to pitch a tent let me know. I have 10 acres out in the country surrounded by hundreds of acres of a state forest; no neighbors except for deer, turkey, possums, etc...
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #93
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
The only thing to be aware of is air mattresses don't work so well when its cold out. They often allow the cold air to come through them. Although in the summer, you might be thankful for that.
A warmer sleeping bag and/or mattress cover can take care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
Bowling Green rush hour is busy but not bad (unless there is an accident)-3 lanes on each side of I-65 and Bowling Green isnt really that big. Now Nashville, rush hour sucks. I live in Indiana and my wife lives in Florida (work related) and I travel down a few times each year. I have been stopped in stop-go traffic from 20-30 miles north of Nashville to past Murpheesboro (sp?).
Back in 07, I took by little gz250 I had at the time on a 2500 mile trip to Florida and came back up 231 thru Alabama, Tennesee and KY, not too bad of a road except going thru towns and cities with a stop light every block.
Anytime anyone is in southern Indiana (Louisville Ky) area and need a place to pitch a tent let me know. I have 10 acres out in the country surrounded by hundreds of acres of a state forest; no neighbors except for deer, turkey, possums, etc...
You live in Indiana and your wife in Florida? And I thought I had it bad being separated from my wife part of each week by a 175 mile drive.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #94
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Ambivalent

I suspect many who have followed this thread have mixed feelings at this point: pleased you had a safe and enjoyable trip and sad to see your well written and entertaining report coming to an end.

Hoping you have many more such rides.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #95
jeff_connors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Or you can take your wife along to keep you warm. Or your G/F. Or your wanna-be G/F. Or find a girl on the Net...or find....
jeff_connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #96
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
I suspect many who have followed this thread have mixed feelings at this point: pleased you had a safe and enjoyable trip and sad to see your well written and entertaining report coming to an end.

Hoping you have many more such rides.

Ned
Thanks for the compliment. I can assure you I was much more sad than you are when my trip ended and I had to go back to work

I am also hoping for even better rides in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_connors View Post
Or you can take your wife along to keep you warm. Or your G/F. Or your wanna-be G/F. Or find a girl on the Net...or find....
Great Idea but I can't fit my wife and camping gear on the scooter at the same time.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #97
dpippin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
The Route: I had also wanted to ride North East West Virginia but ended up staying on 16 all the way. 16 was a great ride but the best part was between Marion, VA and Beckley, WV.
Win

Haven't seen you in ages. I stumbled onto your ride report and followed it.
When I go up to Parkersburg WV I take 16 from Marion to Beckley.
From Beckley I take a combination of 19, 16 through Gauley Bridge, pick up 36 at Clay Junction, then 14 at Spencer which brings me out to I77 at Mineral Wells. Then it's just a few miles of interstate into Parkersburg.
If you use a GPS I can send you the route.
One word of caution, Gauley Bridge is a speed trap. Be very careful if you ride through there. They will even make up things to give you a ticket.

Doug
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #98
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippin View Post
Win

Haven't seen you in ages. I stumbled onto your ride report and followed it.
When I go up to Parkersburg WV I take 16 from Marion to Beckley.
From Beckley I take a combination of 19, 16 through Gauley Bridge, pick up 36 at Clay Junction, then 14 at Spencer which brings me out to I77 at Mineral Wells. Then it's just a few miles of interstate into Parkersburg.
If you use a GPS I can send you the route.
One word of caution, Gauley Bridge is a speed trap. Be very careful if you ride through there. They will even make up things to give you a ticket.

Doug
Hi Doug, It has been ages. How have you been doing?

I'm happy to report that I made it over the Gauley Bridge, and the rest of the trip with no "performance awards"
On advantage to my scooter is that I generally don't have a problem staying at or near the speed limit on straights or in town. In the curves, on the other hand.....

As for GPS, I'm one of those technologically handicapped people, no GPS, no smart phone, never been on twitter

Hoping to make it up in your direction this fall for some dual sport riding.

Win

Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #99
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
I loved riding along [vicariously] on this thread! Very nice! I worked in Bluefield on the WV side for a little as a ... will save that for another story, and I drove all along that part of the state to just south of Charleston. Loved all those towns and the people! Great ride, pics and report! PLease keep em coming!

On another subject got me a new ride to go with Kira. I might be able to keep up with you now!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #100
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
First, what bike to take. I'm undecided between a slightly bigger scooter or a small Adventure bike. I guess I'll take what I happen to have at the time.
Second, I need to figure out how to camp better as already mentioned.
Third. I need to get a smart phone or small laptop so I can update my ride report as I go.
OK, that's about it. For everyone who followed along, I hope you enjoyed my report. To everyone who participated by responding, thanks and I hope to see you all on the road some time in the future.
Hey K:
I've heard "dance with the one what brung ya"" I'm guessing whatever you have that goes when you twist the gas will work. I don't think there is a perfect bike. Enjoy what you have works for me!!

Camping, stealth or glamping is an acquired activity, you will find what works for you. Practice makes if not perfect at least better.

A laptop worked well for us, and allowed me to carry on business as required. Another of Scooterchick's great suggestions.

Oh and by the way. you can grow up without growing old. Never grow old, you're too much fun to hang with the way you are. Thanks again for taking us along, we really enjoyed the trip.....even meeting your relatives....haha

Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #101
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Just found this RR. I really enjoyed it. 50% of my dna comes from RT 16 in Ritchie Co WV, and the other 50%, 5 miles from it. ( no jokes please...lol) Lots of familiar places.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #102
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
I loved riding along [vicariously] on this thread! Very nice! I worked in Bluefield on the WV side for a little as a ... will save that for another story, and I drove all along that part of the state to just south of Charleston. Loved all those towns and the people! Great ride, pics and report! PLease keep em coming!

On another subject got me a new ride to go with Kira. I might be able to keep up with you now!
Congratulations on the new ride. I'm glad someone else besides me liked those small towns. They seem to be depressing to a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey K:
I've heard "dance with the one what brung ya"" I'm guessing whatever you have that goes when you twist the gas will work. I don't think there is a perfect bike. Enjoy what you have works for me!!

Camping, stealth or glamping is an acquired activity, you will find what works for you. Practice makes if not perfect at least better.

A laptop worked well for us, and allowed me to carry on business as required. Another of Scooterchick's great suggestions.

Oh and by the way. you can grow up without growing old. Never grow old, you're too much fun to hang with the way you are. Thanks again for taking us along, we really enjoyed the trip.....even meeting your relatives....haha

I plan on doing more camping just for "practice". Of course I'll have to take some trips on my bike as well

I've always thought I would get a small laptop for traveling but todays smart phones do so much that I may go that way.

By the way, you have the growing old thing backwards. You have to grow old (or die), but you don't have to grow up. If you don't grow up then you won't act old. Also, there's often a big difference between being chronologically old, and being mentally and physically old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Just found this RR. I really enjoyed it. 50% of my dna comes from RT 16 in Ritchie Co WV, and the other 50%, 5 miles from it. ( no jokes please...lol) Lots of familiar places.
Have you spent any time in any of those towns in W VA? I'd be curious to hear what it's like to live there. As for jokes, I can think of far worse places to be from. I lived in New Orleans for a year

Old 07-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #103
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,927
Quote:

By the way, you have the growing old thing backwards. You have to grow old (or die), but you don't have to grow up. If you don't grow up then you won't act old. Also, there's often a big difference between being chronologically old, and being mentally and physically old.

Tell it like it is, Brother.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #104
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
We just came back from buying a bunch of camping stuff. Settled on a Ozarka Trail 4 person tent with a full fly. We're going to set it up in our house first to see if we both fit comfortably in it before getting it all dirty and then trying to return it later. So, we will be sleeping in it tonight and I'm going to turn a large fan on it full blast to see how it does...haha.

We have NEVER done this before as we have only been on one trip so far. But, we are going to do a "practice" run too for our anniversary. Thinking about going to Whidbey Island and some other places. Also, being a Veteran, I can get a pass to all of the national parks for a discount.....

So, we are reading all of these reports with great interest and taking mental notes on what works for most in the way of gear and what doesn't. Still need to get a GPS for longer trips though or that "spot" thingee that we need to do more research on.

Really enjoying this report! Thanks for letting us come along.
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"

Scooterchick screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 07:00 PM
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #105
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
People do put to much emphasis on having just the right bike

right on man. any bike will carry you down a road. you are as capable of adventuring on a 50cc as a 1500cc.

plus the lower your bike and fuel bills, the more money you have left over and the further you can go!

your 250 is the perfect tour scoot imo, comfortable at speed limits but low fuel consumption. go any bigger and it would cost more to buy and run, go smaller and wouldnt cruise as comfortably.