User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,395
the bike

For those of you wondering how I can do this all again so soon, because this question always comes up sooner or later, so this is how –

I did get that pay off from the accident, not a large amount but I invested it and got lucky and beat the market.

So while I can still see (did you read the third paragraph in the first post) I’m doing a RTW on a very tight budget and I’ll deal with ‘real life’ later

Now a question to you???? If you live anywhere on my “kinda” route drop me a PM if you have tent space, it would be greatly appreciated

Or if you have suggestions of places to ride thru/ see in your area that I might miss if I didn’t know they were there…let me know

So what am I riding?

2009 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere…yes the one that never got here

With the Jesse luggage

the first 7000 miles or so I am using Wolfman Luggage and then I will ride back to Louisiana to swap back to the Jesses for the rest

I found a few issues when I stripped the bike down, I had bought a chain in South America last year and rode with it for a while, as I couldn’t find an O ring or X ring anywhere, I had to take a standard 520 chain and it stretched after only about 1000 miles and even though I was making adjustments almost daily it was hitting the swingarm. On top of this by the time I was riding in Alaska my shock was starting to fail on rough road even on the stiffest setting I would still bottom out of severe bumps, so the two main issues I had to deal with were a swingarm replacement and a new rear shock

Beside that not really any problems, most was just upgrades and enhancements (so that would be farkles then!!!)

From a strip down onwards - a few teaser photos

The old swingarm on the right and the new one on the left

the finished article

This is the list

Renthal twin wall bars
heavy duty risers
dual garmin gps set up
high out put spot lamps from monster ADV
front turn signal relocation
crash bars SW Motech
barkbusters
exhaust MTC
front suspension Hyperpro
rear suspension Ohlins
side stand foot enlarger - ME
center stand foot enlargers - ME
chain guard - ME
cush drive -ME
kev fuel mod
new swingarm
swingarm bearings
new hard luggage Jesse Luggage
chain roller All Balls Racing
chain and sprockets – JT Sprockets
quick fuel disconnect
valve adjustment
brake and clutch levers
headlight protector – ME
new 12 volt socket
mini rear turn signals
new license plate

There is a full report of all the mods that I did after the bike hit 50,000 miles - read it here

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 09:36 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,785
Looking forward to you stopping by if you can.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Looking forward to you stopping by if you can.
definitely...we'll do the other version of B & B
Old 07-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,788
San Antonio

te esperamos
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
San Antonio

te esperamos
i'll let you know when my front wheel is pointed in your direction
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
xrjak
Day Dreamer

Oddometer: 15
This is going to be good. Good luck. Subscribed
xrjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 785
In, Good luck.
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Cuba is a good ride, watch out around Gitmo thou

The road North out of Trinidad is a real nice ride up in the mountains and also the road South out of Baracoa on the East end are two that shouldn't be missed.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Cuba is a good ride, watch out around Gitmo thou

The road North out of Trinidad is a real nice ride up in the mountains and also the road South out of Baracoa on the East end are two that shouldn't be missed.
i figure with 3 weeks i should be able to hit most everywhere, not the first to warn me about Gitmo a friend of mine was there and watched a guy get arrested just for talking to priest in that area!!!!

Besides Gitmo, everywhere else is accessible? where did you stay hotels or camp?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i figure with 3 weeks i should be able to hit most everywhere, not the first to warn me about Gitmo a friend of mine was there and watched a guy get arrested just for talking to priest in that area!!!!

Besides Gitmo, everywhere else is accessible? where did you stay hotels or camp?
I think some rules might have changed a little since I was there in 2010/2011 and caused a little trouble.

I heard it is a little hard getting out to the Western most point without a guide now. They may be suspect of motorbike rider's at Che's memorial, they kicked me out thinking I was taking some pictures on the inside or something

I would inquire about an eco-tourism permit when you import the bike, I'm thinking you will be getting on and back on the ship in Cienfeugos since I caused all the stink in Santiago de Cuba so those customs may not know much about it.but I would ask anyway if you are wanting to camp. After my ordeal the officials in Santiago said to camp like I was you needed one of those said permits

I camped mostly but stayed with different people I met along the way. I stayed at one of the cheaper all inclusives for a little celebrating and drinking one night but really enjoyed camping on the island.

3 months would be better if you really want to ride the hell out of the place. I was there from Dec 18 to Jan 9 and could have used even more time. I drove to all the farthest cardinal points except the Eastern most and spent a lot of my time on the beautiful Western part in the Vinales area but didn't realize how much was on the much larger Western part. Also got hung up trying to get down to the Isle of Pines and spent some extra time doing so and ended up missing the ferry

Hopefully they will let you take your GPS with you, try and bring you a good paper map and I think I would load up some OSM or maybe even buy GPS travel maps Cuba, I heard it was done now.

One of the most interesting places I've ridden my motorbike.

BTW you might want to rethink that border crossing from Colombia to Venezuela that I saw on your map, that crossing down Puerto Paez is a complicated one with the aduana and immigartion, I would use Arauca, the next one up but below the main one at Cucuta. Arauca is mucho tranquillo and very nice riding around El Coyue in Colombia, might not be the safest thou to the South of there

Los Andes in Venezuela are quite nice as well, so much to see and so little time...

Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #26
Wikedhd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Can't wait Bro! Trinidad 2 Trinidad!
Wikedhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

BTW you might want to rethink that border crossing from Colombia to Venezuela that I saw on your map, that crossing down Puerto Paez is a complicated one with the aduana and immigartion, I would use Arauca, the next one up but below the main one at Cucuta. Arauca is mucho tranquillo and very nice riding around El Coyue in Colombia, might not be the safest thou to the South of there

Furthermore, depending on the time of the year (rainy season), the stretch from Puerto Carreño COL to Puerto Gaitan COL is not passable even in a well kitted out 4WD due to very long stretches being flooded.

If you do hit it during the dry season, it is a very nice road, secluded, with great vistas, lot's of off road riding (there are about 600 kms of mainly sand, gravel and mud) but you need to be totally self sufficient, because there are very few people to be found and no fuel.

This is not a normal border crossing. It is there, and it is used as a free transit zone between the small town of Puerto Paez VZ and medium city of Puerto Carreño COL by a lot of people on a daily basis, but they just go back and forth without any paperwork, because they don't go further than the cities AND they don't cross with vehicles. VERY few people use this border if they are crossing in a more permanent way (like if they need their passport stamped) or even fewer if they cross with a vehicle (like maybe only one or two vehicles per year). The border crossing is complicated, especially if you "do not fumar español" because it involves getting permission in Puerto Paez VZ (where the actual "legal" river border crossing is), then riding 70 kms to Puerto Ayacucho VZ, (where customs and immigration are), then riding back to Puerto Paez and after the authorities there are satisfied with the paperwork you brought from Puerto Ayacucho (which they might not, just because they are on a power trip... as is normal ), then you need to get in touch with one of the boat captains authorized to make the "international" crossing and negotiate a price.... It's not "hard" per-se, it just involves a LOT of patience, understanding how the local authorities' minds work and some luck... And IMO speaking decent Spanish is a must...

It DOES make for a very adventurous border crossing and route and if you end up deciding on taking it, I'll help you with all the details and tracks... just drop me a note. (As well as for any more info for Venezuelan and Colombian interesting roads, sights and any of the other border crossing details). Oh yeah, I've been known to drink a beer or two with fellow ADVRiders on occasion of them being in my neighborhood

Buen viaje!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #28
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

once i cross the darien on the stalhratte, the route is wide open, it was just literally a line on a page, i have 42 days to play with once i land in columbia so any ideas of routes, roads tracks, sights, border crossings to use or not!!! is great help for sure Throttlemeister, SS in Vzla. let me know...i will be in Guat for about 4 weeks doing language lessons so hopefully i can speak a little spanish by the time i leave there

Throttlemeister, i'm going to Cuba with Ludwig from the stalhratte, and yes we do go in to the port in Cienfeugos, he told me things change all the time but he is pretty sure he has got it all worked out for the import side, once there i'm solo unless there are other bikes on board, have to wait and see on that, i'm sure he has some suggestions on places to see and not go near as the case may be
Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,563

Subscribed. Best of luck Paul - if you were coming back to Canada, that tent space would be available this time. (Because I'd be home). Its still there/here if you change your route!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

thanks anyway, i can't believe i missed that Keiths offer last time

i won't be heading that far east this time, but if you want to join me on a ride to the HU meeting in Toronto, lets go its Sept 20-23...surely you can come with an excuse to get way???