Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Oddometer: 838
Hey Feyala, wow! you're a lucid dreamer too, cool!
Most people I meet don't even know what it is. I rub my hands, or remind myself that I am lucid, so I don't fall back into a regular dream or wake up. Other than riding, Lucid dreaming is my life. Somehow I feel that I am meant to do more with it, that it is part of my life's purpose, but not sure how and why yet.
Haha, funny you met Alex and Jim. I hope to see them in a week at Westfest, but chances are they won't even make it.
Keep riding and be safe!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Found this photo of myself riding Onion Creek in Moab Utah.

Hitting some dirt trails today and hopefully find a cool campsite in the boonies.
Kinda wondering about the bears though, seems there are quite a few of them here in Colorado
Spend 2 wonderful nights at Hayduke and Bonnie Abbzug's cottage. They are wonderful people and made me feel very welcome. Time to load up the bike, and try out my brand-new ATV seat pad. My old one started getting too many holes.
Gonna be off the grid for a while, wish me luck!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Ride safe, ride far...might bump into you if you also are scaling the peaks here on the way to Monticello,UT.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulDreamRider View Post
Hey Feyala, wow! you're a lucid dreamer too, cool!
Most people I meet don't even know what it is. I rub my hands, or remind myself that I am lucid, so I don't fall back into a regular dream or wake up. Other than riding, Lucid dreaming is my life. Somehow I feel that I am meant to do more with it, that it is part of my life's purpose, but not sure how and why yet.
Haha, funny you met Alex and Jim. I hope to see them in a week at Westfest, but chances are they won't even make it.
Keep riding and be safe!
I've been super aware of my dreams, into meditation, energy work, and such since I was a kid, I was obsessed with that stuff then.

It's strange, I'm given a distinct "choice". I'm fully aware that I'm lucid, that I'm asleep and this is a dream, but that awareness is something that my brain won't allow. I'm not super excited or otherwise emotional (that can throw you out too), but if I stick with it, reminding myself that I'm lucid, I get kicked out. Some dreams are good enough that I want to continue, so I literally forget that I'm dreaming and go along as normal. Sometimes I dream that I'm lucid when I'm really not. It's an interesting mix. I need to get back into disciplined practice (writing dreams down every night) but my sleep is often disturbed, so even remembering them is difficult unless I am off camping by myself.

Your purpose will come to you in time. Or, well, if it doesn't, at least have fun with it. That's about where I'm at in life.

If you do see Alex and Jim, give them an obnoxious bearhug and say it was from Fey!

Good luck off road! Shiny side up!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Spent a couple of days on Cottonwood pass road.

I'm getting a little more comfortable on dirt roads, and am glad I am, cause I found the coolest free in the middle of nowhere camping spot.
Fear definitely makes you miss out on life! It took getting over, or at least trying to get over, fear of dirt roads to be able to finally have the adventure on the road that I imagined. I still get petrified when seeing deep loose sand or gravel, but now at least I talk myself through it. "Stand up, grip bike with knees, hands loosely on handlebars, don't grip them tight!

I hung out an relaxed for a couple of days. Think I am going to mount a water bottle holder on the back of each of my Pelicans so I can hang out in the middle of nowhere longer.

Lounging in my epic Hammock, facing the mountains and dozing. :)

Made a shy friend while I was there.

Also woke up in the middle of the night and it sounded like an animal was tugging on something in the vestibule of my tent.
When I woke up in the morning my boots were halfway out of my tent and had been gnawed on!
Then as I hun in my hammock later on that day, I saw a chipmunk trying to take off with my toothbrush! I ended up chasing him to get my brush back, he dropped it and skipped away. I tell ya! Wild animals! LOL
As I turned around to walk back to my hammock, I noticed that something had gnawed through the tent cord as well. Hmmph!

Left this morning, and rode a few more miles of lose and packed gravely dirt to Butte Creek to get online.

Heading for Kebler pass in a few and then direction Aspen and Lake George.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote

Oddometer: 33
Great pics.

Glad I found this report. Nice pics. Jealous. You have a great spirit .. and a nice KLR.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Just the pictures for now, later my ride report.
I did go over Kebler Pass and found a perfect camping spot.
I did get a visit in the morning by this handsome cowboy, chasing the cows.
Just like in the movies he said, "Mornin Ma'am!"
He didn't mind I took his picture

I am getting a tad more daring! Yay!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
JonS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Yes, a tad more daring sums it up well! I look forward to the next episode.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

On my way to westfest in a few, so here are some more pics, with text to follow later happy1

toward my campsite

Yep, getting more comfortable on dirt roads

Worth the ride

Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Well, I guess I'm not getting to the write part of the report again, but here are some more pics.
Laurie and I went for a "tame" ride while the guys did the hard stuff, and we had a blast.
Found a really cool trail.

Little did we know that while we were having fun, Marty had broken his leg (in 2 places!)

Taking backward pic while riding, Laurie and Jeannie

I totally spaced taking other westfest pics, but I was happy to hit the road again.
Here I decided to take the part dirt and part pavement road from Grant to George Town over Guanella pass. I have to say, that if you can only ride one road in Colorado, this is the one!
Absolutely mind-blowingly gorgeous.
I could not really take any pictures cause it was raining.

Snuck in a couple though. Ass I was nearing George Town I saw this picturesque little Victorian town nestled in the Canyon. Wow! I could live there!!
Stopped at a gas station to get a cup of hot chocolate.

Amazing what they had to add to your drink!
Had to add an immune shot, (Echinacia) and an Alert shot

Kept riding in the rain cause there was no way I wanted to pitch a tent in the rain, so riding was preferable.
Ended up taking a dirt road past Fraser called cottonwood trail road, and after riding on a very bumpy and washed out road I finally called it quits and camped in between the cow turds. It had gotten dark, but he rain had stopped and the moon was out.
Sometimes when you park in the night without seeing where exactly you are, waking up in the morning can be a surprise.
Well...... not so much this time! Could not see a thing!

But after the sun showed its face a bit more was visible

Vision is a strange thing!! I rode this trail in near darkness, but truthfully, had I seen what it looked like, I might not have.
Knowing that I had already done it gave me the confidence to get out over the bumpy grasslands where I had parked and down the dirt to the main road.

Then I rode to Rocky Mountain National Park, which was really beautiful, but not nearly as gorgeous as Guanella Pass

In Estes now, and the sky looks pitch-black again!
Oh well, heading to Kansas now.
Being Dorothy for a little while :)

NomadGal screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 08:10 AM
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

It is Wednesday morning August first! Wow, how time flies when you are having fun! I am sitting comfortable in a soft couch in Jeff's and Leslie's house. Jeff is an ADV rider I met at Westfest and he invited me to stay at his place.
After I left Estes (where I parked in a fee parking lot, oops, did not see that!) I headed toward Nebraska. The hills slowly got lower and lower and all of a sudden there is nothing but flatlands. Amazing how it can change so fast.
I rode through Loveland and Greeley, toward Fort Morgan. The sky behind me looked black and I was hoping to outride it. Well, so much for that idea cause once I got to Fort Morgan it caught up with me. Out of nowhere the wind showed up and buffeted me across the road. I had to fight to stay somewhere between the lines. A few times the wind hit so hard I felt the bike swoop from under me and had to counter lean to stay up. Scary as hell! The rain came down so hard it was hard to see. I made it to a small town called BRush where I saw a sign Empire Motel. Phew! I made it. Decided to splurge for a night cause there was no way I wanted to continue riding in this. It was $50 for a night which was worth it.

Couldn't help but take a picture of the art in my motel room. For once a nice picture! Most of the time the stuff on the wall is just awful!

I relaxed for the evening and laid all my stuff out to dry, including my tent cover that never dried that morning.
Right next door was a supermarket where I bought some nibbles for the night, and rented Underworld Awakening. (Have the first 3 DVDs on my laptop). I must say that this sequel left much to be desired. I guess the next one will have to make up for it.
I slept great even though occasionally I'd wake up when a train thundered by, and was up and about early. Left Brush at 9 and decided to make it to Lincoln that day.
Talk about a sore butt!! I did it though!

Entering Nebraska! Yay, another state, now I need to find another cool sticker for on my Pelicans
Took a couple of breaks along the way and had something to eat.

Yep........... picture says it all!

Missed the perfect shot where you can see that both FedEx and UPS take the same train! I wonder why one is more expensive in shipping then the other?

As it got later the moon rose, almost full! Ahoooooooooo!!!

Took this picture aiming the camera backward, pretty good I think!

I got to Jeff's house at 9:30 a bit later than I had planned, but that's cause I got lost just a tad.

Jeff and Leslie live in a gorgeous part of Lincoln and they have this amazing house!
Leslie made me a salad with some of her homegrown veggies, Yum!

Slept like a baby!
Tonight is bike night, so we'll see what that is like
Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #27
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Lincoln is quite a town! I actually managed not to get lost there, the road numbers are sequential, that helps* :Hap1:
I found a sporting goods store and bought two 1 liter Nalgrene bottles and also four a mosquito net! Yay, now I can sleep in my hammock and those pesky little buggers won't ruin my beauty sleep! :nana I also stopped at Home Depot to get PVC caps and some weird plastic piping and bracket wiring.
When I got back to Jeff's house I worked on getting the water bottle holders on the back of my Pelican cases.

Now I can camp in the middle of nowhere for one more day!

A turkey came to visit in Jeff's yard, it did not want to strike a pose though

Euro bike night in Lincoln was fun. There were a lot of BMWs but also Ducati's Triumphs, Vespa's (scooters) and one very old BSA. Of course a few off-roaders too. I met a couple of Jeff's friends, David and.....? Oy! I am terrible with names.* :(
We had dinner together at a restaurant on the bike street and hung out for a while.
Jeff and I swung by a health food store to purchase some ready-made food for on the road (Tasty Bite Indian food) Absolutely delicious, just put one push in muffler side pannier, and when you get to where you are camping dinner is ready* :laugh:

I left late the next morning, Leslie wasn't feeling very well, and I took my time packing and re-arranging.

At around noon I left for Kansas to visit my friend Mike in Hutchinson near Wichita.
It was a hot ride and the Kansas scenery was very similar to Nebraska

I think I must have blinked, because I missed the Welcome to Kansas sign.
Spirit unfortunately did not like the fast pace and hot temperature and she stalled a few times, vapor lock I hear it's called.
I also messed up by not checking her oil, she was very low* :( I feel terrible!
Made it to Hutchinson by 5:30, just in time to ride to a thumper meeting with Mike, and give a talk about my trip.
Then Jack passed the hat around, and everyone put in a few buck for gas for me! How sweet! I was very thankful but it felt weird just having people I didn't know give me gas money for my trip. I got $83! Wow!!
Thanks all you guys! (never got everyone's name)
Today I will put something between petcock and engine, and figure out a way to lift my saddle bags so the air can flow through the vents.
I will be in hot climates from now on I think, so got to keep her cool somehow.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Well............
Where to start??? ?;>]--
Was in Oklahoma near a place called Nash, when an officer told me to take a detour on a dirt road due to an accident. He said, it's just a little bit of loose gravel.
So I'm thinking I can handle that no problem!
Well, he must not have been from the neighborhood, because ofter a tad of gravel I hit a dirt road with 6-10 worth of deep loose sand. Very dusty. I kinda freaked but then talked myself through it. Stood up, gripped the bike with my knees, very loosely haled the handlebars and let spirit do her thing. All went del for about 1/4 mile when the ruts started getting deeper and deeper. Then I made the mistake of trying to get to the left side of the road where it wasn't so deep. The middle part was about a foot deep and before I know it front wheel flipped sideways and I found myself airborne! Over the handlebars (maybe might have gone too fast???) and into the dirt. I had a soft landing so I didn't really think anything was wrong. My side felt a bit sore but that was it. There were a few trucks behind me and the guys in it helped me pull Spirit up. The third truck had a gal who was also a biker. She said just ride over the field, it was cut down wheat. I did and it was easier, then unto dirt again, but this time solid. Got back on the road and started riding when I noticed my rib popping and creaking. Not sure what was going on....
Rode to Enid and called my doctor friend in East Hampton. He said to just wait and see if the pain would get worse. He said there is nothing to be done about a broken rib anyway. It doesn't hurt to bad and I can breath normally, just not deeply.
It feels awfully weird though very loose and crackely! Oh well, On my way to Sparky's in near Muskogee
Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #29
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Spent the night at a motel in Perry OK. Did not sleep too well unfortunately, but I was glad to have slept at least some.
Really sore and stiff this morning and my rib is not feeling too good.
The good thing is I can still move, albeit slowly, and I can sit, so I can ride
Got some pics from yesterday. Too bad I didn't think of taking a picture of my bike in the sand. I was worried about the people behind me and didn't want to hold up traffic. I don't think they would have minded, I think I was a bit of a treat. single gall on a packed bike crashed in the sand. Something to talk about at home I suppose LOL

Almost in Oklahoma

The factory in the background really does not add much to the welcome sign

It has been really dry here as well!

After visiting with Spanky I will head North again, just too friggin hot down here!!
Neither Spirit nor I seem to care fort much. Missing the pine trees and mountains.
Wonder what the Ozarks look like.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,888
Too bad about the get off. I hope those ribs heal for you quickly.

Enjoy the Ozarks, they are wonderful.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote