User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
rediRrakaD OP
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 679
Down for the count and back again.

So I tested out all my farkles the weekend after Memorial Day.
Traveling North on Berryessa Knoxville Rd. (Northern California) I found myself airborne after hitting one of the infamous water crossings.

Left a few marks.

Amazing how little algae one needs to instantly lose control.

Beautiful place to have look for damage.

Other then scratches, dented ego and a shattered passenger peg... the ability to walk away from a 4th gear wide open get off, is pretty amazing!!! I may have been having a spirited ride with Cap'n Ron or maybe it was just a slightly worn K60.
Nah, I applied WAY to much throttle a foot or so too early.
Next the aftermath,,,
Old 06-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
rediRrakaD OP
Whoopdie do

Still another bit of riding North to join the madness of another HLDMC!!
Popped a few Ibuprofen and kept hauling. Back to chasing the 990 Adventure.

With a full belly of soup, and possibly a beer (or 6) we began to access the damage.
Oooops the passenger peg mount is bent pretty good let's give her a bit of love.

Cap'n Ron encouraging from above ... I got the bracket bent back down to avoid breaking my leg on Saturday's ride.
Another inmate figured out the subframe was bent badly.
The passenger mounts had forced themselves into the subframe and it bent firmly into the gas tank.

My HDB guards REALLY soaked up the blow/slide nicely. Shattered the mirror and the crashbars took a good beating as well 1/2 clearance on the left and 4" on the right. Giant Loop Bag barely has a mark after sliding for 50', The Rallye 3 suit was incredible. Didn't even realize I hit my left elbow. The armor prevented damage period. FOUR days later I had a small bruise just below the hip pad and a some bruising down by that knee. Femur was slightly sore.
Pants are off at http://rainypass.com/ getting a patch for the right butt cheek.

Saturday went well. Others took dirt naps, I didn't feel the need.

(Thanks Bark for taking the pic)

Next, fixing it up.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
rediRrakaD OP
Whoopdie do

I spent the next 8 days hunting the interwebs for a subframe...
Ebay came through! Found by searching misspelled and/or missplaced auctions.
An auto dismantler was the answer I was hoping for. (The whole engine was going for a grand!!! complete rear wheel..$300 including tire,rotor,sprocket)

Cheapest new... $945 + shipping.
Ebay... $214.95 FREE shipping taken off a new 2012 F8.
Three days later.

$12 for 4 new subframe bolts and some time...

damage on the bike

and off.

One hour to disassemble!

Supported the fuel tank/subframe from the roof (working alone).

Kept track of the hardware.

Hour and 15 minutes of reassembly...
Ready for more action!!!
Neighbor came over to help convince the crashbars to return to their former position (Thanks Nick!!)
This involved leaning the bike against a large log, with the upper bolts loose.

< $300 bucks (including $65 for pant repair) I'm a happy camper.
I will be cutting the other damaged subframe and welding some plates onto it as a spare.
Originally this was the plan, but my 8 yo was upset that he wouldn't be able to go for the occasional ride.

Until next time.
S.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Things certainly could have been worse. Bike repaired, no significant personal injury. Well done.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
At least the sub frame is bolt on. A few boys over here have been disappointed with their Triumph 800XCs.

One of those hits the ground, they bend the pillion pegs and buckle the frame. It's all one piece. Instant write off.

Ouch.

I read of one guy who had a very minor off on gravel, and it creased the frame at the pillion peg, and he was howling about it being written off when he had the damage assessed.

Seems like such a basic design flaw you have to wonder why? When I had a look over the 800XC the first thing that ruled it out of contention for me was the one piece frame.

The introduction of the Husqvarna Nuda was met with some ridicule in F800 circles, it being a bit funky and all, but I'm intrigued as to how much of the main frame is similar to the F series BMWs. If it is the same basic mainframe, then the enduro styled rear sub frame and other bits will swap over. Eyeballing one I reckon you could build an enduro styled F8 at about 25~30kg lighter. Shed some of the plastics and crap.

Of course, a bolt on rear sub frame also leaves you with the possibility of having a complete rear fabricated for long distance touring. Bigger tank, reduce the risk of frame damage by building it a little more "crash friendly". Change the seat height to suit the task...etc.

So in short, you've proved the one single aspect that the F8 has over the 800XC....hands down.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

So in short, you've proved the one single aspect that the F8 has over the 800XC....hands down.
ahaha and I always thought how could someone bend that thing (reading the magazines criticizing the XC on that point). thanks to your "experience" I think myself lucky to have taken the GS .

I like how you took the damage report and some nice pics came out! That's the real spirit! My next beer is on your health and on your bike!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
rediRrakaD OP
Whoopdie do

I was concerned about the tank being compromised, but it seemed fine.
Maybe those German engineers are on to something.
However, the 1200GS has the same issue... similar crash and you're replacing the whole frame!!.

I always look at these incidents as an opportunity to upgrade. This time turned out to be a fun learning experience!
WOW the tail end is a complicated design exercise.
S.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
Definitely a known weak spot of the F8, I have already replaced 6 of those subframes from minor get-offs for other riders.

The issue is simply a matter of how the rear pegs push on the unsupported down tube when the bike is on the side, they always bend right where the pegs attach. If you want to make the subframe 10x more crash worthy, you'll have to remove them.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
rediRrakaD OP
Whoopdie do

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Definitely a known weak spot of the F8, I have already replaced 6 of those subframes from minor get-offs for other riders.

The issue is simply a matter of how the rear pegs push on the unsupported down tube when the bike is on the side, they always bend right where the pegs attach. If you want to make the subframe 10x more crash worthy, you'll have to remove them.
What if the distance between the inside of the downtube and tank were supported?
It is such a huge leverage point upon impact...
S.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
It would help, but there is no room there as the tank is in the way.

If you wanted to keep the passenger pegs I would strengthen the area by replacing the hollow tubing with solid, but only in that area so that it doesn't bend as easily. You still want the overall subframe to yield in a big crash, and not the main frame attachments.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
rediRrakaD OP
Whoopdie do

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It would help, but there is no room there as the tank is in the way.

If you wanted to keep the passenger pegs I would strengthen the area by replacing the hollow tubing with solid, but only in that area so that it doesn't bend as easily. You still want the overall subframe to yield in a big crash, and not the main frame attachments.
Experimenting will commence on the damaged unit!

The tank stopped the subframe from bending further.
An insert between the two might help dissipate force, the peg would still shatter though...

Maybe a removable system for the rare passenger.

A 990 Adventure went down on the ride in a similar fashion and was fine, but for the minor scratches.

S.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
The only drama here being that you can strengthen that portion of the subframe, but once you have pannier racks fitted, it's usually the rack hitting the ground in a fall (depending on the brand and the width), the peg still makes some contact, but the pannier frames take a lot of impact.

Being further back on the subframe they'll transmit the impact and bend the whole lot out of line.

Mine is skewed slightly from a minor off where the weight came down hard on the very rear of the pannier frames. It didn't damage the pannier frames, just twisted the sub frame. If I level the bike up and use a spirit level I can detect one side is about 10mm higher than the other. It wasn't like that when I bought it, I checked.

It's not worth fixing at this point. It'll only happen again, and who knows, I may hit the other side and straighten it out.

This is the reason I stuck with soft luggage off road.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,078
Ahhh, Marque Memories....

Broken
Motorcycles
Worldwide

Thankfully, my RTP hasn't lived up to the moniker yet.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote