ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
Tom Blum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
thanks for the fast reply OZZ

I guess I'm sort of resigned to buying them, but I still don't know how to load them into the Garmin.

I'm afraid I will buy the BICIMAPAS dataand then can't use the it.

Will BICIMAPAS open in the Mapsource program that garmin provides?

Tom
Tom Blum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blum
thanks for the fast reply OZZ

I guess I'm sort of resigned to buying them, but I still don't know how to load them into the Garmin.

I'm afraid I will buy the BICIMAPAS dataand then can't use the it.

Will BICIMAPAS open in the Mapsource program that garmin provides?

Tom
Yes, you can open it up in Mapsource if you buy the online downloaded version. Once you install it, you go through the unlocking proceedure invloving mapsource. After you can see it in Mapsource, you go through the uploading proceedure to transfer it to your GPS. Make sure your GPS is able to accept maps, I know some GPS's don't allow maps to be uploaded. Also, go through the Bicimapas site to make sure their map is compatible with your GPS. If your GPS is not mentioned, send them an email with specific questions, they have pretty good support.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
In Mapcenter2 for example, I have had no problems running the Installer versions of some of their map downloads on Mapsource and transferring the maps to the Garmin. Many maps however, seem to have only the Source or Binary type files available for download.

How do I work with these types of files, if at all? Thanks.
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
barefootrider
BMW airheads

Oddometer: 44
Laugh Brasil map works!

Thank to all who contributed.
I just downloaded from http://www.tracksource.org.br/
The site is in Portuguese but the maps work fine, downloaded installed in Mapsource and uploaded to my Garmi 60Cx, works fine. Remember to rename the existing gmapsupp.img before uploading. If you have the memory you can keep the files on the GPS and just rename when you need them.

Now trying Venezuela map, then look for Colombia .. all soon to be destinations.
barefootrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootrider

Now trying Venezuela map, then look for Colombia .. all soon to be destinations.
Hi Barefootrider,

Check out GPS maps of South America. I need to update the list as I just found and finished using a map for Ecuador that was excellent.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
Supergringo
Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer: 132
Hi All,
After riding from Argentina home to Los Angeles, I wrote a review of the maps I used in Central and South America on my blog. You can find that write-up here:

http://www.northbymotorbike.com/?p=675

I hope this is helpful for anyone planning a similar trip.

Cheers!
Supergringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #22
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergringo View Post
Hi All,
After riding from Argentina home to Los Angeles, I wrote a review of the maps I used in Central and South America on my blog. You can find that write-up here:

http://www.northbymotorbike.com/?p=675

I hope this is helpful for anyone planning a similar trip.

Cheers!
Thanks for the useful review
Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Wander4Days
Where am I?

Oddometer: 86
CenRut for C America

I was hearing good reviews on CenRut's Central America maps but couldn't find the download for the IMG file. (All link downloaded a .rar file that had PDFs and an EXE file but no IMG.) Then I found this link which also had a Mac map that i was looking for. So far everything seems good. We'll see when I am lost in the mountains of Guatemala how it works though

http://www.cenrut.org/adw/over.htm
Wander4Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
Yannis
n00b

Oddometer: 1
maps Garmin for all countrys

http://openmtbmap.org/download/

you can find all the countrys on this link

from Africa, to South America, to Canada, to Europe....

I just made a mistake, i loaded a map on my GPS Nuvi 1410 from Map source, and the original one (Southern Africa), desapear!!!

so becare, and tell me how to do, if there is a solution.

thanks

y
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
ezo
Ezo

Oddometer: 4
Maps for Brazil:

http://www.tracksource.org.br
ezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
hy

i use this site for my maps: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

you can either choose a pre-defined map for every country, or select the tiles manually to build your own map. what i like about it is, that you get a download link whisch shows many different formats of the map, a windows version with installer, a mac version and a gmapsupp.img to put directly to your gps (60csx in my case)

cheers
josef

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #27
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post

i use this site for my maps: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
+1 on that site. Good level of detail, points of interest, & routability. Best of all it's FREE, just like this thread title states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSTravelMaps.com View Post
Central America has some amazing back road tours. Many of them have been included in the mapsets by GPSTravelmaps.com

There are three distinct sets that you can get from them depending on the length of your trip.

Central America
Central America North
Central America South

There are also maps for Peru and the Caribbean as well.

Ride safely.
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #28
The Chief (tm)
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Question Using the http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ Site

It's been quite a while since I updated my GPS maps, so am wondering if Seppo or csustewy can answer what will undoubtedly be a ridiculous line of questioning.

In investigating mapping options for an upcoming trip down through mainland Mexico, I dug through http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/, downloaded the "osm_generic_windows" .exe file, and also the appropriate "osm_generic_gmapsupp" .img file.

Running the .exe placed a bunch of .img files, a .mdx, a .tbr, and an _mdr file into a new "Programs/Garmin/Maps/OSM generic routable" directory.

But the "osm_generic_gmapsupp" which came over is just one big .img file.

So, now what? Do I merely copy the big .img file onto the GPS' SD card, or do I have to do something with the files in the other directory? (There doesn't seem to be an executable in there, so I'm not sure what the next step is if it has to do with those.) Any and all advice appreciated!
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #29
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
It's been quite a while since I updated my GPS maps, so am wondering if Seppo or csustewy can answer what will undoubtedly be a ridiculous line of questioning.

In investigating mapping options for an upcoming trip down through mainland Mexico, I dug through http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/, downloaded the "osm_generic_windows" .exe file, and also the appropriate "osm_generic_gmapsupp" .img file.

So, now what? Do I merely copy the big .img file onto the GPS' SD card, or do I have to do something with the files in the other directory? (There doesn't seem to be an executable in there, so I'm not sure what the next step is if it has to do with those.) Any and all advice appreciated!
Not a ridiculous line of questioning at all. I don´t have a computer anymore (long story), nor much time online, but here´s a start from what I remember:

I only ever used that mapsupp.img file. Place it on the GPS SD card in a file folder that´s named the exact same thing (GARMIN or something like that) as where your current mapsupp.img file lives. You can place the new .img file in the same folder, but be very careful with your file management, because if you delete that original file, or copy over it, it won´t exist anymore. Use whatever system you want to keep it organized, rename folders (which worked for me, so I didn´t change file names, I just changed the folder names to remember which file was inside), rename files etc. The GPS will read the .img file in that one folder.

Now, with that said, fancier GPS devices have all sorts of nifty ways to load maps, pieces of maps - all of that is far beyond me. I think that the .exe file can be used in combination with Basecamp or similar program to piece together the map files you want, but I always just used the tile or country selections on that openstreetmaps site to get an .img file of the map that worked for me.

Hope these hints help. There are far better experts with GPS than me, though, so keep asking around...
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #30
The Chief (tm)
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey Motojero,

Nah, all good advice, even for your current lack of a PC...

I did, in fact, check what was on the SD card I'm using now (for North America), and it was a mapsupp.img (or whatever) file -- meaning, it has the same name. I thought, "Oh, why don't I just swap them out and see if the GPS recognizes the new maps," but then I realized that I'm not in Mexico right now, so there wouldn't be any way to really "test" the swap, right?

Although now that I think about it, maybe I could ask it to find a location somewhere in Mexico, and if it returns a list of possible choices (for city name, street name, hotel name, or whatever), then that *should* mean that it's reading the new file correctly, even though it probably couldn't create a route to it, 'cuz it wouldn't "know" where it was right now here in the States. I'll play around with it.

But the point is, it was helpful to know that all I needed was that .img file. Thanks for taking the time to clarify!
www.followthechief.com
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote