Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #166
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
"I like way you paint your crash bar, what color is it" Rust-Oleum 7277830 metallic matte nickel from Lowes. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #167
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Like the new look.
Thank goodness they changed the signal buttons. I hate mine so much I may sell my bike and buy the new one. :)
Love this pic
http://www.mcnews.com.au/2013_Bikes/..._highRes_D.htm
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #168
conrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Sooo...lets not fix any of the real issues, but lets make the plastics "more masculine." really? I would love an 800gs but i refuse to own another bike that has ethanol related fuel tank issues. Sorry bmw....looks like the 800xc wins.

Joe
I have a F800GS in Brazil, where the ethanol content is something around 20%. Before that I had a 1150GSA, a 1200GSA, two F650GS (single cylinder), a XMoto and a K1300R.

Never had and never heard of any problems related to ethanol in any of the BMW bikes running with that crappy fuel.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #169
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
I'm 58, with bad knees and a 31" inseam.
Sold the KLR650 with 35" seat height 6 years ago.

My single track days are over, but I still want to explore a forest service or gravel road when I come across it.
My next bike will be a lowered G650GS or a F700GS with panniers and a top box.

Hth, good luck and welcome to ADV.
31 inseam you will be fine with the standard suspension. a low seat might be a good idea. a lower suspension will reduce ground clearance and cargo capacity. i'm 5'6 with 30 inseam and i'm fine with just the lower seat.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #170
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin7429 View Post
You're 60 years old, good shape. You are probably never going to ride over 100 mph or go on trails. You want
to ride dirt roads (20%) and pavement (80%). Would you get the new F700GS and some luggage or a used
F800GS that already has luggage and some options? Thanks for you thoughts.

I'm 54 y.o., first bike after 15 year hiatus (kids, mom pressure, etc.), I bought a F650GS Twin 13,000 miles ago. My rides fit your percentages very well. I have Jesse hard luggage. Went thru a year of periodic, self induced ego pain about not "manning" up and buying the 800. Over it now, and absolutely love my bike - don't want anything to do with anything bigger. Honestly, wouldn't change a thing. From what I read about the F700 changes - don't want them myself. Not negative changes, just not necessarily positive changes either. Get a 650 or 700 twin - you'll love either.

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #171
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
I find in interesting that after all the bobble head (frt. brake res.) talk it has gone hard mounted to the lever like the R1200GS's.

Also the new placement for the rear reservoir.

If you want to do that to your bike like I have all you have to do is go to your local bicycle shop and get a seat post reflector bracket (26.8-27.2 I believe it was) and bolt it on:

They usually give 'em away for free 'cause they get one in every bike box...$0.00 !!!

I've been using it since January. Works great and it's tucked in out of the way!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #172
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
I find in interesting that after all the bobble head (frt. brake res.) talk it has gone hard mounted to the lever like the R1200GS's....

Dave
There was lots of big talk about cavitation and air bubbles in the brake fluid...
I wonder if any other part of the design has changed along with the reservoir ...
If the master cylinder is the same might pick up the parts to eliminate the bobble-head...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #173
painkilla
MeTaL HeD

Oddometer: 120
i wanna know where the additonal 4kg's in dry weight came from ...beefed up suspension perhaps ?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #174
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkilla View Post
i wanna know where the additonal 4kg's in dry weight came from ...beefed up suspension perhaps ?
The suspension is the same weak spindly stuff as before.

The additional weight comes mainly from the additional front brake disc, caliper, brake line and maybe the fact that ABS is now standard and has to be included in the specs.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #175
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrado View Post
I have a F800GS in Brazil, where the ethanol content is something around 20%. Before that I had a 1150GSA, a 1200GSA, two F650GS (single cylinder), a XMoto and a K1300R.

Never had and never heard of any problems related to ethanol in any of the BMW bikes running with that crappy fuel.
Thats great for you. I have 2 friends that ride BMW. One 800 and one GSA. The GSA is on its third tank, and the 800 has had bearing issues and cracked gas tank. Now BMW did replace and or fix the issue from my understanding, but still, I dont want more masculine plastics. I want a tank that wont deform and bearings that dont explode.

I love the 800gs, and I love the 800xc...but sadly both have issues. The GS just has more that I wish they fixed for 2013. Makes me sad because I want one.

Joe
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #176
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Thats great for you. I have 2 friends that ride BMW. One 800 and one GSA. The GSA is on its third tank, and the 800 has had bearing issues and cracked gas tank. Now BMW did replace and or fix the issue from my understanding, but still, I dont want more masculine plastics. I want a tank that wont deform and bearings that dont explode.

I love the 800gs, and I love the 800xc...but sadly both have issues. The GS just has more that I wish they fixed for 2013. Makes me sad because I want one.

Joe
Joe, what bike do you currently own?
I had an F650GS twin I racked up 6k miles on during last summer and had zero issues with riding mostly road with some mild fire roads, then replaced it with an F800GS which I have been riding a 50/50 mix of off road on road with the occasional rock rutty stuff and it too has been flawless,

cheers,

Frank
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #177
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a 2012 super tenere. In the next 2 years I will be adding a big touring bike for the wife and I, as well as a a bike like the 800gs. I love the tenere 660 but its not sold here. Because of that i am considering the g650gs sertao or the 800gs, but the fact that BMW is only making cosmetic changes saddens me. There are known issues with the bikes and they are not addressing them. That is unacceptable. I have delt with Ducati and their lack of desire to fix anything, and I refuse to do it again.

I want a fully decked out 800gs/sertao with Knobbies, plates, something I can beat on. My dream is this...

Yamaha/kawi touring rig kitted out for touring, S10 for solo long distance on road and off road stuff like riding the Americas, then the 800gs for something more hardcore like mountain passes and remote solo riding with mainly off road. Before you say anything, I dont want a klr, i have zero desire to ride one for thousands of miles.

Long answer to your short question, but if BMW made true fixes I would buy an 800gs tomorrow.

Joe
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #178
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
I have a 2012 super tenere. In the next 2 years I will be adding a big touring bike for the wife and I,
Isn't the Super Tenere a big 2 up touring bike?...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #179
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
If he's not from the US (sorry in mobile) he could have the what sixfiddy?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #180
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
Not when compared to the bmw k-gt/gtl bikes. :)

Back to bmw talk

Joe