Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #196
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
This has been an interesting thread. Sorry to the OP and phillipsrog for the hassle.
As for Triumph's response, I really don't have a dog in this fight as I don't even have a Tiger, but if Triumph is going to replace the OP's bike and he didnt have to involve an attorney, that sounds like pretty good customer service to me. 3 months doesnt sound egregiously long either.
All brands have their issues. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon for the affected owners. Good luck and please post if a particular solution is discovered.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #197
bridwell52
Banned

Oddometer: 143
Two bikes with the same issue does not sound good. How many others are out there ?
bridwell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #198
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,911
Well I have just read the entire thread. I own a 06 Sprint ST 1050 bought new and only one issue, the rear shock linkage replaced under the recall way later than Triumph wanted, but still covered and was a complete failure. Lucky I never crashed. I also own an 06 Tiger 955i I bought last summer. The dealer was great customer service, knowing I was 100 miles away and told he needed it over night to diagnose, he asked if I could be back the next Saturday I said yes. He said because we thought it was a one day deal and wasn't, told me to take is brand new Sprint GT demo until the Tiger was repaired. His service Dept royally pissed me off recently, but would still deal with him because of great customer service.

I feel for the OP, my VTX1300 went down when the starter button went down and was backordered. The dealer was willing to just let the bike sit in his service dept indef. Two monthes later I told him that he would have until Sat or it would be stored for a year, I am a soldier, he canabolized a showroom unit to get rid of it before I deployed.

I am truly sorry for what the OP had to go through, but ALL motorcycles are getting more and more complicated unfortunately he may be not be the only one seeing issues like this from all brands.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #199
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52 View Post
Two bikes with the same issue does not sound good. How many others are out there ?
Out of how many Tiggers sold ? I'm sure if there were any others (or many others) you'd be hearing about it. It's in the nature of people to complain publicly....

Sucks for the 2 folks who had the issue but the internet distorts reality...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #200
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,076
I must apologize for asking dumb question.
I have tiger 800 XC, 2012. Do they all have immobilizers or it is option or something? I am asking because when I look at key it looks like just key, I do not know - perhaps there is some kind of passive cheap insight but I can't tell.
I do not have problems with mine, but just want to know...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #201
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I must apologize for asking dumb question.
I have tiger 800 XC, 2012. Do they all have immobilizers or it is option or something? I am asking because when I look at key it looks like just key, I do not know - perhaps there is some kind of passive cheap insight but I can't tell.
I do not have problems with mine, but just want to know...
Pretty sure they all have them. The chip is in the key itself - the black bit.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #202
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Triumph and dealer isn't getting back to me

I've emailed Peter Carleo to get some advice and called the Triumph in Sandy, Utah last week and haven't heard back from either. I've decided every time it acts up, I will call or email both. Always nice to get left in the dark (that would be sarcasm).
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #203
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
This is the thread that keeps on giving

I would be very angry if I had your issue........
PiJiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #204
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I may have said this before, but I am trying to take the long view. Eventually it will get resolved and I will still have a great bike. I also assume the responsibility of buying from a dealer that's 350 miles away knowing something like this could happen. But one of the reasons I took that risk was Triumph's reputation for reliability.

What's been disappointing is Triumph's lack of customer service. I've really tried to be reasonable with everybody to work toward a solution, not just bitch about my situation. But all I've gotten from my dealer is "wait until we have this figured out," and they never did. And one e-mail from Triumph saying "take it to the shop."

I'm taking it the new Idaho dealer this week. They just got their Triumph diagnostic tools. I should know more in a few days.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #205
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
I gotta say bs to this. I may not "understand how this sort of thing works", but I SURES HELL know how to look for companies that won't put you thru these legalistic,dealer vs manufacturer Hells. You say "many of us don't realize that MOST manufacturers don't give a shit whether or not they are at fault". I learned SOME manufacturers don't give a shit & in my experience they were EUROPEAN manufacturers (worst was your unnamed "German" brand). And Triumph ain't made in Antarctica,is it? Arrlint & the rest of us dummies may ,as you alledge,"not understand " how this kind of customer screwing works, but his blasting this all over the internet seems to have had results that YOU praise TRIUMPH for. False cause,maybe?Would Triumph's belated response been as forthcoming WITHOUT us stoopid customers raising HELL on the WORLDWIDE WEB? Huh??? One good thing about the web,maybe--it gives little guys voices & the power to associate. GREAT JOB,arrlint old boy. Keep up the good werkz.
Gotta go knock some mud off my Tenere, the bike that WORKS for us everyday guys.
I'd say that getting the entire bike replaced after exhausting all other possibilities is pretty good. It would normally take much longer.
And as far a you tenere, glad you are happy with your purchase. Gauging the motor it has, if your satisfied with that, you must have just moved up from a Vespa. I spent hours riding a tenere and it doesnt have enough power to get out of its own way. I have had two Triumphs and never had one problem. The engineering of this bike is head and shoulders above the tenere.

burmbuster screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 11:55 AM
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #206
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
I may have said this before, but I am trying to take the long view. Eventually it will get resolved and I will still have a great bike. I also assume the responsibility of buying from a dealer that's 350 miles away knowing something like this could happen. But one of the reasons I took that risk was Triumph's reputation for reliability.

What's been disappointing is Triumph's lack of customer service. I've really tried to be reasonable with everybody to work toward a solution, not just bitch about my situation. But all I've gotten from my dealer is "wait until we have this figured out," and they never did. And one e-mail from Triumph saying "take it to the shop."

I'm taking it the new Idaho dealer this week. They just got their Triumph diagnostic tools. I should know more in a few days.
maybe being a new dealer they will be more anxious to please. Good luck.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #207
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I'd say that getting the entire bike replaced after exhausting all other possibilities is pretty good. It would normally take much longer.
And as far a you tenere, glad you are happy with your purchase. Gauging the motor it has, of your satisfied with that you must have just moved up from a Vespa. I spent hours riding a tenere and it doesnt have enough power to get out of its own way. I have had two Triumphs and never had one problem. The engineering of this bike is head and shoulders above the tenere.

Thats funny...I rode a Tenere and thought the same thing...gutless (otherwise very nice). I am on my 4th Triumph (06 speedy, '10 Tiger 1050, '11 Speedy and now '12 800XC) from brand new. Only problem I ever had was with the Tiger 1050, and it was a loose battery terminal connection! People getting put off Triumphs are missing the point here...however, that said sounds like the dealers over there and Triumph US need a kick in the bum when it comes to responding to emails etc! Jump on the facebook page...seems thats what worked for the OP?
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #208
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Make a habit of calling everyday that they are open. Not just when your Tiger messes up. If nothing else, say hey Peter it's me again, my Tiger is still messed up. It sucks, but it gets results.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #209
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Jump on the facebook page...seems thats what worked for the OP?
Give that man a cigar........
PiJiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #210
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,732
Great. So now we've all got to join Face Space in order to communicate with someone. Fuck that.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote