User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
ScienceOfDirt OP
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
Dirt and Street tires with similar section profiles

I'm looking for a set of 70/30 tires street tires that have a similar profile to the TKC80s.

I got an extra set of dirt rims that woody's built, and promptly put a set of tkc80s on them. I have been using them for about a month or so, and i really like how they feel and handle off and on road. I'm getting ready to to a 200-300 mile day trip of all street, so I put the stock rims with their pirelli scorpion trails back on. The bike went from feeling light with quick steering, and a nice fall into the corners to a sluggish steering bike that does its best to stay upright. I seems I have to muscle it into to corners. I've checked the tire pressure to be sure, as that was my first thought. The only thing I can think of is the section profile being different. I want to get some street oriented tires that match the section profile of the tkc80s.

Any suggestions? Am I totally out to lunch on this? I'm fairly new to these big dirt bikes, so any thoughts on the issue are appreciated.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
How many miles on your Scorp Trails? If the rear has a flat spot at the midline from freeway flying, it won't have that nice leanability you're looking for. Doesn't really matter which brand if that's the wear pattern. I'm using a front Scorp Trail with 7k miles on it with a newish rear that's just starting to get the center flat spot, but I was able to fling it back and forth easily just this morning while carving up a tight little mountain road. Check your air pressure, too.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
ScienceOfDirt OP
U-Boat Rider

About 4500 miles on the scorpions. Now that I look at it, it is going a bit flat in the center. It's not enough to notice unless you look for it. Too bad the roads around here pretty much preclude carving it up to even the wear out. The pressure is fine. It was the first thing checked.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
My opinion is that while a TKC80 and a Scorpion might both nominally be the same size, there is a considerable difference in the actual diameter and therefore profile (especially if comparing a new-ish TKC with a worn Scorpion).

Additionally, I'd imagine the two are constructed differently and there is a pronounced difference in "feel" between different tyre constructions even if everything else stays the same (just ask the Repsol Honda team...)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
ScienceOfDirt OP
U-Boat Rider

I agree. I guess if I want similar construction, I'll have to try the TrailAttack that Conti makes. People say the Tourance tires fall into the corners. I wonder if that would be a better choice for road feel like the TKCs. I've got a couple of Ks left on the Scorpions to decide.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
I'm running a hybrid of TK80s and K60s right now... my third set of tires...

I really liked my second set of tires for the road, which were the Tourance tires by Meztler... i wish i had a dual set of wheels to switch around that would be ideal... i envy you... I thought the Tourance were great and will probably get them again, if ever quit planning big back-road trips...
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
ScienceOfDirt OP
U-Boat Rider

How were the Tourance tires off pavement? I'd probably only ever take them on gravel, but I have been known wander off when the opportunity presents itself. I don't want tires that get stuck on a wet wash cloth.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
How were the Tourance tires off pavement? I'd probably only ever take them on gravel, but I have been known wander off when the opportunity presents itself. I don't want tires that get stuck on a wet wash cloth.
If you are just going to do a little gravel... no big deal... here is a silly video i made riding last year in Colorado... I've done lots of that type of stuff on those tires... Colorado on Tourance tires

You can get away with a lot more than you think... the off road tires help for going a little faster and such...
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
...I've done lots of that type of stuff on those tires... Colorado on Tourance tires

You can get away with a lot more than you think... the off road tires help for going a little faster and such...
Ditto for the Scorp Trails or ContiTrail Attacks. Street-biased dual-sport tires will take you a lot of places off the pavement if you give yourself a little time to get used to them. Mud and sand are what you really want to avoid. I bang mine around on the local fire roads pretty quickly without a problem. Given the choice for off-pavement, I'd pick TKCs. But given the choice of riding or not because I've got the Trails on my bike....I'll ride.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
ScienceOfDirt OP
U-Boat Rider

I have taken it off road a good bit on the Scorpions. The problem is that even though we are currently experiencing a drought, anything more off pavement than gravel will usually involve mud. I've also had problems climbing out of ruts on the Scorpions, but the TKCs were only a bit better. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not on the 450.

Thanks for the info.