Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #571
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
You guys rock you guys are cool, comical, free spirited and adventure seekers.....if only I was young again!!! Been following you for a while (I am the frau of Abendteuerfahrer....who is on his TAT adventure right now) and love love all that you've done and are doing. Here's a toast to the continuation of your adventures....thanks for taking us all along for the ride as we look forward to your post and pictures.

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #572
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
Whoa, not to thread jack, but Horton, where have you got a link about your rig?? That thing is cool!
by this reason, only a little Link to HU, Horst Ullrich. http://www.hu-sidecars.de/s/fotos/fotogalerie.html My one is his own one. The prototyp.

I forgot, the fairing was my modification

And now back to Matt&Kris. . .

dä rumtreibär

Horton screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 03:12 PM
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #573
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 240
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #574
Maritime Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post
Going back in time a bit, we made a video with some footage from the majestic Niagara Falls. There is a reason why it's so touristy...

I met a friend yesterday for coffee, we got talking about how we are just going through the motions in this life. Stuck in the corporate routine. We are not "living". I'm just at this point in your ride report. I want to thank you for this video, because you seem to have captured just that feeling we are having in our lives and that we too can have our own adventures. You are showing us, that we can really "live" our lives. Thank you!
Maritime Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #575
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Matt&Kris. My wife just gone trough the thread. Looking picture. She told me, to told you, she loves the photos. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #576
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Thank you, thank you. I'm honored that you came out of lurker-land!

1. We have used a variety, but we eventually came upon our bread and butter and have stuck with that for awhile. We're currently using a 16mm-35mm 2.8 (nice to have the ability to shoot uber-wide), a 85mm 1.2 (this is the magic lens, not versatile but when it works, it is spectacular), and a 70mm-200mm 2.8 (don't use it often, but it's nice to have). We used to carry a 24-70 which is a great utility lens.

2. Yeah, we do have a polarizing filter and that's why there is some variation in sky color sometimes. We just got one for this leg of the trip. To be honest, we're still trying to figure the frickin thing out. It's kind of frustrating to be honest, I'm not sure that I'm a fan so far. I think used correctly it's great, but for now it's kind of a hindrance. We do use some blank filters for protection on all our lenses - super important considering the amount of dust, sand and dirt...

3. The rule of thirds is great, Kristen is a major stickler on making sure landscape lines are perfectly horizontal, but other than that, just play around! You'll find what works for you just by shooting and shooting and shooting some more. The best thing you can do is become familiar with your lens arsenal before you get to that opportunity for an amazing shot. Nothing worse than missing something spectacular because you're fiddling with your camera (trust me, I know from experience).

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Can't wait to hear about your own trip...

...oh, and I can't hate on Nikon. Great brand. But... they don't have anything to rival my 85mm 1.2, which I think is the best piece of glass I've ever touched. Just sayin .
Missed this response- been busy working, moving, and BUYING AN 08 DR650 for my trip Thanks for the info of lens choices. Im currently running a DX frame Nikon, but I may end up getting a D800 or 5D before my trip. Definitely love uber wide for perspective.. using a 10-20 (pretty similar to a 16-35 on FX format) in that department. Im considering getting a 24-70 and 120-300 f/2.8 (sigma) for the trip, or going canon and getting the new mk 2 24-70 and their 100-400 along with a wide angle. It really sucks financially having two very expensive hobbies...

I agree about the 85 f/1.2- a friend who shoots canon has that lens and I love it too. As a general rule, I prefer canon's glass to nikons (though both make excellent glass, canon has more selection and is generally cheaper), but prefer the layout and use of nikon bodies. Thats subjective of course... Once I get this DR setup for mini trips ill start snapping away. Great hobbies to combine in that they both feed the need for the other, eh?

Cheers...
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #577
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
Matt I see many are adding their Salty Advice so I thought I would chime in.

I live in Calif. but believe it or not, we have SALT! Between AceRph and I, we are allowed to play in the ocean and on the sand with an assortment of vehicles. The place is called Pismo Beach. Famous for clams and soup. We can go and play by riding into the waters edge and thru the salty dunes, trashing and having "UBER FUN" with our toys. But at the end of every trip we give the bikes a serious hosing and then would spray the crap outta them with WD-40. My experience was so good I kept gallons of the stuff on hand for clean ups. The stuff disperses the water and works fantastic coating the parts. Everyone has there own approach to salt issues, just thought I would share mine.

ooweel
so let me ask you a question, do you spray down all the joints or just general spray the crap out of your rig? i can admit to leaving the salt on our own rig for a couple of days until i got to a proper hose and really washed the thing down. we have a couple of spots that are rusting up but nothing too serious. salt is vicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backoutonthehighway View Post
Finally caught back up again! The photos are first rate and the trip is inspiring. What a gift you two are giving yourselves. Safe travels!
i hadn't heard it worded quite like that before but you are correct - this is a pretty serious gift. it's not a bad way to live, knowing that each day is a gift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio View Post
Great video guys. The ride report isn't so bad either....

Safe travels to you both. We just got back from a month on the road and watching this makes me want to load up again and head out.

Be well,

-Terry, Sandy, & Jack
thank you, thank you. sounds like you better get planning again for the next one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Matt and Kristen,
My wife and I sat and watched your video, we were just mesmerized by it. The salt flats are incredible. I doubt we will ever make it to those salt flats. Bit we can enjoy them through you two. We leave on our own little adventure in 20 days. We can't wait to make the first mile. Olivia will be out with me for 10 days up to Seatlle, and then the rest solo for me. First big bike trip for us as a couple. Keep sending those pictures and videos, we love them.
Jack and Olivia
the salt flats really are amazing. totally surreal. i'll never forget our time there. as for your trip - have a good (safe) one! don't overpack and go with the flow. you're on a bike trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Use it to increase contrast or reduce reflections. To do that, you have to look at the thing you're trying to fix, i.e. look at the color of the sky, or look at the water/window/mirror that you're trying to eliminate unwanted reflections from. Then turn the polarizing filter until you get the results you want. The effect can be subtle, especially on reflections.

Whenever you turn the camera for a vertical shot, remember to grip the polarizer ring. Hold it stationary when you turn the camera, or the polarizing effect goes away. Don't inadvertently unscrew the polarizer from the lens and drop it... don't ask how I know that.

Also, they consume between about half stop of light - the are mildly useful as a neutral density filters. What brand did you get?

I use the heck out of my 24-70! Nice glass.

Sweet video, too. Nice to have voices to hear in my head when I read your words.
i think my biggest issue with the polarizer so far is just the added saturation that naturally comes with it. we have a process for post and it really screws with everything. probably my biggest issue is just misusing it - i'm certain that it's all user error. thanks for the tips.

i'm not totally sure what brand we got and i'm away from our gear at the moment - i'll have to check and get back to you on that.

and yeah, that 24-70 is a heck of a utility lens. kristen has used it in all sorts of situations and it always shines. i have to say that i'm super partial to my 85mm though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
i said this before - but ur phtoos are so, so cool.

after this is over, will you make a book? i would buy it. ur photos are so cool. i don't know how you have time to take such great photos and ride at the same time!
thanks for the encouragement! i don't know if we'll make a book but it's good food for thought (and for confidence). it really helps to have kristen in the sidecar as she has pretty much free range to shoot photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCinco View Post
Sweet vid! Who is the band/music?
the band is called Lovedrug and the song is Salt of the Earth. they have some good stuff - check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos View Post
Lovely video. Makes going to work on a rainy wednesday morning that little bit harder...
As for shrinkage, well when you start out with nothing and end up with nothing, what have you lost? Nothing.
:-)
Keep safe.
hahahah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Exceptional images of the Salar. Thanks!
our pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRoadRash View Post
Amazing vid, great report. You guys are clearly having the time of your lives and it makes it a total hoot to read.

We have got to get you on the show some time.
We are seriously having a blast. loving every moment - even the crappy parts. we'd love to join in on the show at some point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaMamma View Post
You guys rock you guys are cool, comical, free spirited and adventure seekers.....if only I was young again!!! Been following you for a while (I am the frau of Abendteuerfahrer....who is on his TAT adventure right now) and love love all that you've done and are doing. Here's a toast to the continuation of your adventures....thanks for taking us all along for the ride as we look forward to your post and pictures.
good to hear from you! your husband is quite the guy - he has seriously helped me out with his wisdom in the past. thank you for you encouragement and thanks for following along as we stumble through SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Mike View Post
I met a friend yesterday for coffee, we got talking about how we are just going through the motions in this life. Stuck in the corporate routine. We are not "living". I'm just at this point in your ride report. I want to thank you for this video, because you seem to have captured just that feeling we are having in our lives and that we too can have our own adventures. You are showing us, that we can really "live" our lives. Thank you!
i don't think i can properly express how happy i am to hear you say this. life is short, my friend. live it up. take risks. give yourself the chance for adventure, whatever your definition.

good to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Matt&Kris. My wife just gone trough the thread. Looking picture. She told me, to told you, she loves the photos. . .
tell her thanks! looking forward to seeing your report soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Missed this response- been busy working, moving, and BUYING AN 08 DR650 for my trip Thanks for the info of lens choices. Im currently running a DX frame Nikon, but I may end up getting a D800 or 5D before my trip. Definitely love uber wide for perspective.. using a 10-20 (pretty similar to a 16-35 on FX format) in that department. Im considering getting a 24-70 and 120-300 f/2.8 (sigma) for the trip, or going canon and getting the new mk 2 24-70 and their 100-400 along with a wide angle. It really sucks financially having two very expensive hobbies...

I agree about the 85 f/1.2- a friend who shoots canon has that lens and I love it too. As a general rule, I prefer canon's glass to nikons (though both make excellent glass, canon has more selection and is generally cheaper), but prefer the layout and use of nikon bodies. Thats subjective of course... Once I get this DR setup for mini trips ill start snapping away. Great hobbies to combine in that they both feed the need for the other, eh?

Cheers...
i am with you on the expense! why could i have not been into stamp collecting... but photography and moto travel definitely go hand in hand. especially with a sidecar, in my opinion. i think i will probably stick with canon for the foreseeable future mainly because we have bought so much expensive glass. we've really invested at this point, not need to change, but i do think nikon is seriously quality. good luck trying to figure out all your gear... (that's the fun part for me).
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #578
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 754
Matt WD-40

Matt you asked

so let me ask you a question, do you spray down all the joints or just general spray the crap out of your rig? i can admit to leaving the salt on our own rig for a couple of days until i got to a proper hose and really washed the thing down. we have a couple of spots that are rusting up but nothing too serious. salt is vicious!

Matt I spray everything except seats, grips, dash, rotors, headers. If it gets on the headers or other stuff no big deal. Just "PROTECT" your rotors! I just liberally spray the motor, frame, even the spokes and wheels (again, with a rag or some type of cover over the rotor) I Don't wipe it down, just let it air dry awhile, then run the motor so it heats everything up to make sure all the water not displaced by the WD is evaporated. You will get a faint oil smell on start up but it quickly goes away. It leaves enough of a coating it wont rust and it doesn't hold dirt to itself as it is so thin of an oil residue. People who would see us at the beach all the time began asking why our bikes weren't rusting up like there bikes were. It's not the perfect solution, but served me well playing in salty water and sand. Hope it helps you.

ooweel
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #579
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Day 89-95 in South America: Uyuni to Copacabana

Day 89 - 95 in South America: Uyuni, Bolivia to Copacabana, Bolivia

Before we headed off on our South American adventure, Kristen and I took a few weeks of “emergency Spanish” from a tutor in San Antonio. Our teacher, Gabby, was Bolivian and was absolutely convinced that we would love her country above all others.

I don’t want to play favorites but the extreme nature of Bolivia has certainly left a lasting impression...

After our time at the Salar, we headed through the dusty town of Uyuni to finally go through immigration (and to get chased by a frightening horde of street dogs that desperately wanted to get in the sidecar with Kristen).

I think the only redeeming thing about the town itself was a huge market in the center of town.

After fueling up we headed out of town and towards the sky-high city of Potosí.

An interesting side-note about buying fuel in Bolivia: the gasoline in the country is subsidized by the government to make it more affordable for Bolivians. This means fuel is cheap. In the past, Chile, Peru and Argentina picked up on this and began crossing their borders just to buy gas. In response, Bolivia passed a law stating that foreigners have to pay a different price - about 3 times as much. However, in order for gas stations to sell fuel to foreigners, they have to fill out some paperwork with the government, many have chosen or are unwilling to go through this process. Thus, not all stations will sell gas to foreigners. A few times while riding in Bolivia, I was initially turned down. But by invoking the time honored tradition of greasing palms (or bribing to the layman), gas was put in our BMW. The things a few pesos will do...

Just outside of Uyuni, we hit pavement for the first time in a week.

It was fleeting:

Over the next several hours, we drove through a myriad of construction sites as they were in the middle of paving the entire path from Uyuni to Potosí. One day, it will really be great.

We wound our way upwards towards one of the highest cities in the world.

The going was beautiful, but SLOW. Lots and lots of curves and a ton of distractions. Lots of animals that seemed to have no regard for traffic:

And lots of people herding the aforementioned animals across the road.

We eventually made it to Potosí (elevation 13,500 feet!) but found it to be a real armpit of a town. I know this may be crude, but it legitimately smelled like fart. The whole place. Fart and exhaust. I know that’s juvenile, but it’s accurate. We decided to move on through town and headed directly towards Sucre. (Sorry to those from Potosí - San Antonio, TX is not exactly a gem to most people either).

Sucre was a good decision.

After struggling a bit with the hills (we came to one street that we literally couldn’t climb, Sucre is a bit like San Francisco) we finally came to a nice hotel near the center of town with off-street parking. As we pulled BigBoi into the garage, the sun set behind the white washed buildings. We immediately crumbled into bed.

Sucre is quite the place. The entire city is a World Heritage Site and we can see why. It’s gorgeous. It has a ton of historical buildings including a stunning array of churches. The fountains stream cafe con leche. And it just feels how a S. American colonial town should feel. We were happy to indulge in its touristy wonder...

Aside from all the attractions, the perfect weather, the hot showers (finally), the traditional Bolivian food, and the weaving museum that completely entranced Kristen, we were visiting Sucre during some sort of “kids weekend”. Block after block was closed to allow a race:

And the parks were filled with bouncy houses, fair food, and rides.

The Sucrean Eifel Tower is way more magnificent than its brother in France.

After a couple of days in Sucre, we mournfully decided to head towards the Bolivian capital of La Paz.

During the couple of days that it took to get to La Paz, the beautiful scenery was once again dotted with obstacles:

It was surprising how majestic the mountainous regions of Bolivia were - I had no idea, for some reason.

Just as we were in reach of La Paz, our luck with the law ran out. In our research of how things work in South America, we knew this would eventually happen and so we were ready for it. For no reason at all, we were pulled over by a cop on the side of the road. He asked for my papers and I obliged. He asked for Kristen’s papers and she obliged. He asked for BigBoi’s papers and he obliged. It was only then that we came to the rub...

We were then informed that we had commited a traffic violation. At first it was a speed issue. Then it had something to do with the bike’s papers. Then it had something to do with me. As the conversation went on, both Kristen and I began to gradually “lose” our ability to speak Spanish. It was when the officer told us that we could either go to a town 200 miles away and pay our 250 pesos fine -or- pay him 100 pesos now and go on our way that we completely stopped speaking Spanish. Suddenly our Texas accents weighed down our speech and we made it as incredibly awkward as possible. The officer called his two buddies over and for about half an hour, we danced. Finally bored, he gave me my driver’s license back (rule #1: never give over your real license, just use a copy) and let us go on our way. Huzzah!

For our efforts, we were gifted the wonderful La Paz area traffic:

We rolled into town and found that inside the actual downtown, other than the psychotic bus and taxi drivers, it really wasn’t all that bad. Seriously, I don't really know what all the fuss is about. We plopped down for a few days to enjoy La Paz.

The highlight was definitely the market. I bought a small guitar called a charango as the craftsman completed the final steps as we watched. For $30. Amazing. Other highlights: the dancing zebras hired to encourage drivers to actually stop at traffic lights and the llama fetuses for sale at the witches market (Mercado de las Brujas). Wild.

For our final bit of time in Bolivia, we headed to Copacabana and the famed
Lake Titicaca.

And finally to the sleepy town of Copacabana:

It really is a nice little town. The tourists seem to flock to the bars by the water, but I’m sure they’re missing the point.

While wandering the narrow streets, we were informed that every weekend in front of the cathedral, travelers had their vehicles blessed by priests. This was something that we couldn’t resist. We decided it was worth the dizzyingly long line:

You have no idea how long Kristen has been waiting for a reason to adorn our rig in flowers:

It was actually great fun to be smashed in tight quarters with other Bolivians who were all curious about our motorcycle. Most of the time, we try to avoid long conversations on the road about BigBoi, but we finally had the time to converse. Too bad our Spanish stinks...

After being blessed by the priest (we’re not Catholic but prayers for safety are always welcomed) we headed onwards to the border and our fourth country - Peru.

Next up: corruption abounds in Peru.
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #580
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 227
You guys are awesome! Fantastic report that just gets better and better. The photos are excellent too and gives us sitting at our computers a window into a world most will never see, thanks!!!

Love the flowers on your bike,
dc
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #581
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 754
OK gotta ask???

What is with the Pink Eared LlAMA?
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #582
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Just found the thread. You guys are sure having a blast! Will have to take an evening to go back through the thread. I like how the "lack of Spanish" was used to your advantage!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #583
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
global

as always great write up, thanks for the time and effort.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #584
JonnyCinco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
the band is called Lovedrug and the song is Salt of the Earth. they have some good stuff - check them out.
Sweet deal! Found them just by the lyrics a few days ago and dl'd their album. thanks! keep on rr'n
JonnyCinco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #585
JonnyCinco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Awesome! Did you do a spanish immersion course? or just found a private tutor? I have been looking into week long spanish immersion courses...

Gracias!
JonnyCinco is online now   Reply With Quote