Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #136
jayR
ride > all

Oddometer: 16
That was a great ride report.. how many miles did you traveled total?
jayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #137
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayR View Post
That was a great ride report.. how many miles did you traveled total?
I'm at 3600 miles now. Trip literally started the day I picked up the bike in SoCal. Keep in mind I'm not just cruising from LA to NY and back....I'm stopping along the way and taking in my 'host' city and doing a lot of local miles....getting ready to head out to the "Ampitheater" here in Boulder. Looks like a pretty sick road! Should have pics soon.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #138
ACDCD
n00b

Oddometer: 1
If you come back to Denver you should check out http://www.vintagemotos.com/ they are a block away from Erico Motorsports(the Denver Ducati dealer).
ACDCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #139
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
The harder the journey, the greater the cultivation of the will—and mastering one thing leads to greater proficiency on how to overcome challenges in other parts of our lives as well.
In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
Outstanding

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #140
OmegaRunner
The Total Package

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Choosing a bike for a trip isn’t unlike choosing what bike to purchase. Too many struggle with what they want vs. what they 'think' they should get. My advice has always been: "Get the f'ing bike you lust after. Write the check, max the card--you won't regret it." Not everyone follows that advice, but anyone who's ever owned a bike understands that sentiment the moment they are out cruising around and feel a pang of regret when someone goes by on the bike they really wanted. And so the same logic went into my decision on what bike I wanted to do this trip on: the bike had to get my rocks off.
Now, I don't think people should go out financing something they can not afford or should not due to other obligations. However, those are very wise words. I am a strong advocate of buy the quality stuff that you really want. It may cost more up front, but if you really like it you will take care of it and keep it around longer. You don't end up replacing it two years later with something else that is just another "good enough".
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #141
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:

Additionally, the logic with the 1199 was to not compromise my choice of bike and instead overcome the compromises that the Panigale would require of me. Too often people don’t factor into a decision is our outstanding abilities as humans to adapt to difficulty. The result of overcoming adversity and mastering one's ability to triumph over environmental challenges through persistence, determination and imagination produce self-efficiency and feelings of personal power luxury and security can never hope to provide. The harder the journey, the greater the cultivation of the will—and mastering one thing leads to greater proficiency on how to overcome challenges in other parts of our lives as well.
In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
Spoken like a true Ironman. Some of the thoughts that got me through the finish line!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #142
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,365
ohhhhh!

get me an italian super chick too!
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #143
s1000rr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
antihero

great ride reports I like your style. If you get in the north Texas area Dallas Ft Worth let me know.
s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #144
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. I'll try to keep the momentum going. :)

First of all, there's a road here in Boulder unlike any other I've been on. Flagstaff Rd. to the Amphitheater (thanks for the recommendation dpeagle!). Super tight, twisty, smooth and technical. Just look at the upper left section--it's hairpin after hairpin after hairpin! Nuts.

I went up yesterday (and then again today). And unlike most killer driving roads, there were so few cars (each time there were two cars I passed on the way up and one or two on the way down. DESOLATE!).

The scenery was beautiful, which was dangerous. It's the kind of road that takes all your concentration (most of it is marked 20mph, with back to back 10mph hairpins strung together). Instead of Flagstaff it should be called "lower intestine" road.

Today when I got to the top to take a few shots a Patrol SUV rolled by, then turned around and parked behind me. I was just hanging out taking in the scenery....but like SF I worried that I'd get a scolding. (I was by no means pretending I was Racer X, but I think I did probably go over the speed limit by 1 or 2 mph). ;) He stayed there for a minute (running my new plates?) and then drove off.

Boulder is just amazing. It's no wonder everyone here (almost) is thin, fit and tan. With running and biking backdrops like these in 3DHD, why stay at home on the couch?

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 01:06 AM
Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #145
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

There's even picnic tables up here! All sorts of surprises.

I have to admit that even when the scenery is beautiful, when the Panigale is in the picture I'm kind of blind to the background.

And at the end of a long, hot day, nothing is quite as refreshing as Kaffir Lime Hangar 1 Vodka on the rocks.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #146
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

One more thing I can check off my list of 'things to do before I die': ADV Inmate Salute. After years of reading ride reports from everyone else I'm finally a member.

AntiHero screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:42 AM
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #147
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
And finally, one more thing I can check off my list of 'things to do before I die': ADV Inmate Salute. After years of reading ride reports from everyone else I'm finally a member.
Welcome to the asylum

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #148
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I really enjoy your writing style!!! Thanks!

Btw, beautiful Ducati!!!
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #149
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Oh I was apprehensive--new model bike: strike one. New model ITALIAN bike—strike two! Cross country trip on a ‘torture rack’? Strike three! Errr....not a good idea. Actually, probably a really stupid idea. But it's the ‘stupid’ things we do that we remember the most. All too often the 'good' decisions we make we forget or regret. But the stupid ones? Ahh, those are the memory builders and the building blocks for great stories and adventures that make you smile and laugh years later.

Additionally, the logic with the 1199 was to not compromise my choice of bike and instead overcome the compromises that the Panigale would require of me. Too often people don’t factor into a decision is our outstanding abilities as humans to adapt to difficulty. The result of overcoming adversity and mastering one's ability to triumph over environmental challenges through persistence, determination and imagination produce self-efficiency and feelings of personal power luxury and security can never hope to provide. The harder the journey, the greater the cultivation of the will—and mastering one thing leads to greater proficiency on how to overcome challenges in other parts of our lives as well.
Great RR.

I have some shared views on choice of ride and touring. I bought my S1000RR in 2010 with the intent that it will take me wherever I want to be going: to the restaurant, to the cottage, across the continent. I got back two weeks ago from a ride to the west coast of Canada and back - a little more than 10,000 kms (6,000 miles). Me, the bike and a pack across the back seat. Loved it.

Only thing I don't get about your approach is how you can ride reasonably comfortably with a large pack on your back. My German supermodel may have slightly wider hips and a slightly bigger bum but she does allow me to put my gear back there.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #150
Tippo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
While you're in Boulder you may want to stop by Boulder Motorsports. Say hi to the guys and look at all the race Ducs http://www.bouldermotorsports.com/ I ride 200 miles one way to have them work on my '02 ST4s.

Jeff
Tippo is offline   Reply With Quote