|07-26-2012, 06:02 AM||#1|
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Seat Base Repair
We modified the original seats we had on our F650 and 800GS to make them a little less painful. I had my seat cover off three times before I was semi-satisfied, and finally went for a Sargent which has been on the bike for the last couple of seasons. I had a local upholsterer do the mods.
My wife's been using her stock lower seat which we added a bit of foam to, but recently decided to get a Seat Concepts cover and foam to replace the originals.
I thought I'd just get out my old 800 seat and put the SC cover and foam on that and was surprised to find this:
The stapling on the seat had practically destroyed the seat base! Not much left to work with here.
So I took the cover off Stephanie's 650 seat and it was showing some cracks as well. Her cover had only been off the stock seat base once. I decided I could fix it well enough if I had some plastic epoxy or similar so I went looking for a solution.
I sanded the seat base to take the shine off the areas I wanted to glue, and decided to use a product called "Goop" to lay a bead over the weakened areas, as seen below.
I let this dry overnight and the seat base looked really solid, so I took it to the upholstery guy to staple the new cover on.
The finished article:
The guy who stapled the seat cover on was impressed with how well Goop worked on this repair. It took staples well and where I applied the adhesive, it made no difference to the finished appearance of the seat.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|