Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #5206
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Crescent Valley

has quite the motorcycle scene,

we wish we could have stayed for the show,

but the next range was calling... we're heading towards that darkish notch in the center of the photo below, another of my "gosh-I-hope-this-goes-through" navigational hi-jinx, Cottonwood Canyon.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #5207
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'd had a tough time

finding the road that entered the canyon... I could trace it in the valley, and I could trace it in the canyon, but I couldn't see the connection from GoogleEarth. As we got closer,

it became apparent why; there was some newly constructed irrigation reservoir being built:

We drove around, exploring several options... our persistence paid off,

We took a little break to gather our forces before tackling the next challenge.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #5208
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And we were off

it was pretty awesome,

the road climbed quickly,

had some ups and downs,

and then ran along a ridge with kicking views.

we passed the pass, and started heading down,

There's a motorcycle in the photo below:

Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #5209
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'm gonna let

the photos speak for themselves:

Old 07-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #5210
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I could have ridden that road

back and forth all day.

On the backside of that range, we were in Garden Valley, and I'd spec'ed a nearly invisible trail to get to Quartz-Buckhorn road. Instead we took what we'll call the Ranson cutoff. Wider, but longer.

and probably faster, truth be told. Here we cut back in our intended direction:

The sand and silt and ruts get pretty thick in these valleys.

The trail would fade at times, and then reconstitute. The weather started to look threatening. It was really, really windy.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #5211
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We crossed Hwy 278

at Blackburn. We were starting to get tired. Who am I kidding... we were spent. We climbed into the next range: Union Summit road.

We all agreed that we'd camp at the next good spot. We crested the summit, which was beautiful, great views, but the wind was extreme.

We scouted around for a more sheltered site, we really didn't want to go down into the next valley.

after some back and forth, we settled on an old mining camp we'd passed, the Bell Mine. We turned around,

found a good spot,

and threw down stakes.

PS: it's for sale, if anyone is interested.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #5212
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Denver Confirmation

Attempted "private reply" for first time in many moons. Hope it went through. Here to confirm invitation to store bikes in Denver come September's end of next leg. Please call or email PRN.

McDOPE screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 11:51 AM Reason: Personal contact info needs removing
McDOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #5213
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
In a nutshell: Keep our main bikes in NYC, and buy two DRZ400's. Whenever we can coordinate a 2 week vacation, ride the DRZ's from wherever we left off, to the next destination. Cover as much remote, isolated dirt, forest service, logging roads and jeep trails as possible. Camp and cook on our own mostly, hotel when we must. Ditch the bikes in a storage unit somewhere, fly home. REPEAT!

Start with the Trans-american trail as a framework. Mobius I took us from NYC to Albuquerque, NM. Next, with extra-bits to/from arrival/storage/departure points of Albuquerque, NM and Flagstaff, AZ we added the CO & most of UT TAT in Mobius II. Mobius III crossed the Great Basin (whew!) and then some, dropping down to Reno, NV to store the bikes. For Mobius IV, we tackled the PacNW and took another 2000miles in two weeks to get ourselves to Seattle, WA. Mobius 5 was half dirt, then mostly pavement the rest of the way to Anchorage. Mobius 6 looped us up to Inuvik and back to Anchorage, 3000 miles of riding. M7 brought us back southward along the continental divide to Edmonton, AB in 2300miles. M8 followed the Canadian Rockies and the Tour of Idaho T1 route to Idaho Falls. Here's what the cumulative M1-M8 looks like (each color = 1 day riding):

And so it goes... (read on for Mobius I, or consult the Index)

i have NEVER thought about using storage spaces as a way to "take breaks" in a tour before. Wow! where's the book you wrote of your adventures???
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #5214
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
back and forth all day.

On the backside of that range, we were in Garden Valley, and I'd spec'ed a nearly invisible trail to get to Quartz-Buckhorn road. Instead we took what we'll call the Ranson cutoff. Wider, but longer.

and probably faster, truth be told. Here we cut back in our intended direction:

The sand and silt and ruts get pretty thick in these valleys.

The trail would fade at times, and then reconstitute. The weather started to look threatening. It was really, really windy.

what do u use to track where (gps coordinates-wise) you are? and does it work in canada too?
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #5215
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
i have NEVER thought about using storage spaces as a way to "take breaks" in a tour before. Wow! where's the book you wrote of your adventures???
This ride report IS the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
what do u use to track where (gps coordinates-wise) you are? and does it work in canada too?
Both of our GPS's are set up to archive and store daily tracks (Montana 600, and 76cSx). These can be retrieved as .GPX files from the SD cards. Spot also logs tracks, though not nearly as detailed. Both technologies (GPS and Spot) work in canada.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #5216
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Notes about our evening

We were on BLM land. I know the rules for dispersed primitive camping. Proper distance from road and water, etc. We built a fire ring, collected wood, built a nice campfire, cooked some canned chili on the stove, sat back in our chairs with some hot cocoa and bourbon and enjoyed the evening.

At a certain point, a pickup truck came flying over the rise, and careened up a side-road that we'd checked out earlier for a potential camping spot -- topo said there was a spring there, but when Dave checked it out it was just a field.

We shrugged, and though nothing of it -- rancher, or ranger, who knows.

We went on cooking and eating and enjoying the campfire. BTW, since we didn't have a water source to clean up the dirty dishes, we cooked the chili in the cans using a double-broiler technique, that way we wouldn't have burnt chili on the bottom of the pan. It actually worked really well.

About 30-40 minutes later, the pickup comes back out the side road, and stops on the road in front of us. Now, we're a good 40 yards off the road. Passenger window rolls down and we see a middle aged guy in the driver's seat. Doesn't get out. I yell a "hello", smile, and wave. From the interior of the cab he starts spewing a rant about our campfire and how it's windy and it's been a really dry spring and streams that should be running are already dry and we should put the campfire out.

We acknowledge that it's dry, and thanks for your concern and we'll put it out.

He challenges, where are you gonna get the water?

I reply simply that we have water. Period. I try to give him an opportunity to finish venting, and to demonstrate some social skills. He perseverates on in the same tone, and and now I'm starting to get a little pissed. Dude is really being an asshole. Not wanting to escalate, I just keep agreeing with him. OK, we'll put it out. Anything else?

There's people who live and work out here he says.

And I smile and say OK... thanks again. And think to myself, if we cause a massive brush fire tonight, who stands more to lose, dude in the pickup, or us in these tents?

Dude drives off in a huff, and we're left to speculate whether there'll be consequences.

It's been a while since someone's gotten in my face like that, unprovoked. For a brief second, I missed the city, where maybe 1% of people will give you the time of day if you ask, and the other 99% will completely ignore you.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 04:52 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #5217
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Middle of the night

the wind blows one of the chairs over, and/or dave's tent fly comes down... he gets up and starts dealing with all that.

We're in our tent, and see light flashing, hear the wind howling, and think.. oh shit, did the fire spark up??? did the rancher come back???

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #5218
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 10 stats

Day 10 .GPX track file can be downloaded here.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #5219
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,385
Awesome Doc, just awesome !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #5220
corsair4360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
"Rancher"

Dr Rock.

As one who spent many summers working for the Forest Service near Jackson Hole, those who work around travelers can get really cynical and put out quickly. I'll not describe the situations I dealt with in the campgrounds, but the net was that we concluded tourists left their manners, common sense and any other social skill on the door step when they left home.

Your case is very different in details, however those who work and know the country tend to treat outsiders like most of them they see, as dumb idiots who cause endless problems for them. That does not excuse a rant, profanity, or stupid driving.

I found that the vast majority of people were wonderful some exceptionally so. A few rotten apples ruined things however fairly often.
corsair4360 is offline   Reply With Quote