User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Mane OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Question Paralever bearings

In the past days (or is it weeks?) I removed the transmission to attempt my first spline lube, and now that I began put it back together, it was brought to my attention that I also needed to check, clean and lube the Paralever bearings.

The thing is that I'm not familiar with bearings at all, never had to deal with it before (or probably always avoid it until now).

Could somebody explain me what I'm my suppose to do with it? Should I remove it, or is it something I can do with the parts in place?

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Those are your swingarm bearings in the photo there. They were referring to the bearings that connect your final drive to your swingarm. Make sure they're well greased and they have no play, and turn smoothly. If not, disassemble, clean, regrease, and reassemble checking for wear. Your swingarm bearings are greased with the swingarm installed on the bike. The pins they pivot on have a grease port in the center of them. With a grease gun inject grease through the pin until clean grease can be seen coming out around the seal. Be sure to purge all the dirty grease out of there. Wipe away excess and go enjoy. The apparent lack of any grease behind your swingarm bearings in the photo there tells me that they may have never been greased correctly. Hmmm.

EDIT: I just realized I forgot that bearing seats in paralever swingarms aren't "capped" the way they are on other airheads. They're open to the rest of the swingarm, so you'd just pump grease until your swingarm was full. Gotta pull the bearings out on paralevers to grease them well?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 11:47 AM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
I think those swingarm bearings are sealed?

I always put a bit of grease on the Paralever bearings while I am there. If they need cleaning, chances are they are toasted. The trick is to check them as soon as you remove the shock. Slowly roll the FD through its motions. Chances are you will feel that the bearing races have notched badly and you need new bearings anyway.

Of course, I always use same opportunity to check the swingarm bearings for notches. BEFORE you unload the bearings!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I think those swingarm bearings are sealed?
Supposed to be. Greasing through the swinging arm pivots is not recommended either.

This supplement came out in 1988

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
This supplement came out in 1988
I see two troubling statements here.

"...driveshaft of the R100GS does not require oil."

"the paralever rear suspension does not require lubrication at its pivot points. These bearings are lubricated during production and therefore do not require subsequent lubrication..."

Further evidence that the majority of Germany was drunk and/or stoned in the time leading up to and after when the wall came down.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 08:38 AM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

I quote service bulletins all the time when they make sense. That is hit and miss in just about every bulletin IF they make any sense at all!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I quote service bulletins all the time when they make sense. That is hit and miss in just about every bulletin IF they make any sense at all!
All right then smart arse. why not just tell Mane that his bearings are sealed. He asked a simple question and hasn't got a proper answer yet. You don't just "pop" those bearings out.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

He wasn't asking about the bearings in the photo! I thought a gave him a real good answer to his question about Paralever bearings. It's all up above.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 651
You do not mention how many miles your bike has covered but I have just renewed my paralever pivot bearings, the ones towards the bevel box not the ones that you are showing, after 150,000 miles and they were never greased in that time, I don't think they can be.
The swinging arm bearings are also a sealed unit and mine still pivot smoothly and are the original ones. As long as both are kept correctly adjusted they should last for years although I would prefer being able to service them to get even more life out of them.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
Some of the parts fiches show a baffle at the rear of the swinging arm bearing, but there were none on my bike.

Presumably they had a hole in the centre for venting the paralever which you somehow blocked when you were greasing the bearings, but if they didnt it wouldnt be hard to run a vent from a vacuum barb on the paralever up behind the side cover, similar to the vents on the G/S fork gaiters.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
if
you
do
lube
them
don't
lose
any
little
needle
bearing
rollers...
Old 01-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,029
Going to bring this thread back to the top.

I'm just in the process of re-installing my swingarm on my R100GS. I'm having very good luck re-using my pivot bearings - this is probably the third time they've been taken apart and re-used. I'm just curious as to what people are using for grease when they are doing this job. I've been using a high moly content aircraft grease with great success (Aeroshell 17). H96669 seems to like Amsoil Synthetic. What are the rest of world using to re-grease these small needle bearings?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post
if
you
do
lube
them
don't
lose
any
little
needle
bearing
rollers...
stop stealing
my thunder
lol
good point
I hate if when they go missing
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post

I'm just in the process of re-installing my swingarm on my R100GS. I'm having very good luck re-using my pivot bearings - this is probably the third time they've been taken apart and re-used. I'm just curious as to what people are using for grease when they are doing this job. I've been using a high moly content aircraft grease with great success (Aeroshell 17). H96669 seems to like Amsoil Synthetic. What are the rest of world using to re-grease these small needle bearings?
I like Amsoil just because I bought enough to last me for 20 years.Little cartridges fit in the small grease gun and then easy to lube bearings with the needle adapter for the grease gun.

25 years already.... That's what I got out of the BMW lubricant I bought in the late 80s and I still have some of that Red Jelly aka Texaco No.5 left. Never failed me on pivot bearings.

60,000+ Kms on the exact same pivot bearings with the K. First 40,000 lubed with the Red Jelly and then last year switched to the Amsoil as I was lubing the DS with it anyway.They look just like new ones.....
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
AliBaba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post

I use Staburags, same for the splines for the driveshaft (para).
I think the bearings are lubed with Staburags from factory (it looks and smells the same).
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote