prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Yep. I'm in.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #47
X Banana Boy
stuck in the office

Oddometer: 1,891
In on this one as well. Took the link from the other report, favourited this one and then started reading.

Have fun and happy trails.
X Banana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #48
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
Hello Paul,

We met last year at HU in NC. I am still on the road. Did a 6 week ride in The Himalayas on a rented Royal Enfield and and will be back in South America in September to ride to TDF around the end of the year. Will be following along.

Enjoy the Stahlratte!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #49
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hello Paul,

We met last year at HU in NC. I am still on the road. Did a 6 week ride in The Himalayas on a rented Royal Enfield and and will be back in South America in September to ride to TDF around the end of the year. Will be following along.

Enjoy the Stahlratte!
I'll be at the HU meeting in NC again this year and the new one in Toronto as well

of course i remember you, idahosam and i were talking about last month at the overland expo, i'll be back in South America December 12th decided to turn my RTW around in the opposite direction, not feeling Africa right now and the chance to ride in CUBA i just could not turn down...but first the scouting ride for 5000 mile adventures

be safe out there and keep up with that killer report, not far from the 1,000,000 view mark...you are turning in to a legend!!!
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #50
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

leaving in about three hours to drive through the night...this part of my RTW is the scouting ride for www.5000mileadventures.com - it will turn into about 7000 miles just because of checking things out, not including the drive to Trinidad

Drive to Trinidad???

Well the original plan was just ride of course (solo)...but then a friend 'wikedhd' asked if he could tag along, only issue there was he has 20 days vacation so to be able to ride from Louisiana all the way across texas at the start and again at the end wasn't an option, so the bikes are going in his truck for the trip thru Texas and the trip back

what is www.5000mileadventures.com - have a look at the website...but in short, when i have been on the road i bump into a lot of people who say the same thing

wish i could do what you do
i only have 3 weeks off a year
i have the wrong type of bike
arranging everything would be difficult, i wouldn't know where to go etc. etc. etc.

i'm sure most of you have heard this before in one form or another?

so it got me to thinking, set up an adventure company, supply the bikes, gas, accommodation, tents if required, correct luggage, food, a route with lots of off road, back roads, logging roads, single track, go places the big companies don't go, just do one route and do it great....all you would need to do is bring your riding gear, a camera and a sleeping bag

...but why...well after being on the road for 38,000 miles last year the kindness and generosity of people just astounded me and i wanted to pay it back, as i'm not in one location normally too long, tent space wasn't an option, so i'm setting this up keeping the price very realistic and hopefully someone out there might be interested...BTW only four riders per 5000 miles so only about 20-24 riders a year, only runs in the summer and the route will probably vary a little dependent on the weather - no crazy big groups, done that personally and it sucks

even though the website shows the starting point to be Trinidad, it will most likely change to Las Vegas, easier to get to, better to party when the ride is completed and the wife's girlfriends who don't ride can spend your money while you are gone

anyway back to the ride....

here's what's in the soft bags for this trip...not including clothes

yes i know its a lot of tools but having owned a motorcycle shop, if i can, i will fix everything on the two bikes myself

packs down to this

sleeping gear and tent...yes i am sponsored by Big Agnes!!!

tank bag

bikes loaded photos in the next post

riding gear

the bikes

wikedhd is riding a 2008 Honda XR650L - it only has 600 miles on it, this is his first ADV ride

and me i'm on a 2009 Yamaha XT660Z with 54,000 miles on it!!!

...and the basic route according to the geeks at google...of course it isn't exact but it gives you a good idea, more details as we ride

time to go load the truck and get eaten by mosquitoes before it rains again!!!!

more later, stay tuned...

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 10:40 PM
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #51
gnuse
Ride to Fly

Oddometer: 273
I love it when I find a new hero. Enjoy the ride, all of them. I'll be watching from here.

Ride safe.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #52
JoDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Paul, looking forward to following you on this new adventure, Ride safe and see you at the HU meeting in Ont.

Cheers Bud!

JoDawg

2009 F800GS
BMWMOA #146900
JoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #53
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

really leaving

heading out 10pm, best way to see cross Texas at night get out of the heat and the traffic....

loading in the dark

but with a little help from 6400 ISO i can make it daylight

big thanks to dusty and the guys at www.wolfmanluggage.com for hooking us up, but once packed it all looked the same so a few distinguishing marks

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 10:41 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #54
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 338
Stay safe ,ride hard and have fun
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #55
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
Good to see you on the road again!

I'm sure that you will end up with tons of great stories, pics and memories....glad you are sharing

Stay safe!

P.S. You could checkout http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720177 the Cuban section starts at pg 31 -BluNozr- he was there at the beginning of this year (assuming that you haven't read it already).
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #56
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,709
in! fo' sho!

if my wife doesn't have a girlfriend in Vegas, are they included?

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #57
ronazon
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Read you ride from last year yesterday. Best of luck on your ride! Hope it's everything I ever dreamed of and more!

Ballpark...what kind of fundage are we talking about for something like this? Wondering if I could even consider doing something like this. PM me if you prefer.
ronazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #58
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronazon View Post
Read you ride from last year yesterday. Best of luck on your ride! Hope it's everything I ever dreamed of and more!

Ballpark...what kind of fundage are we talking about for something like this? Wondering if I could even consider doing something like this. PM me if you prefer.
if you are talking about me doing this ride and on the road for about 7 months ballpark $10K

if you are talking about 5000mileadventures.com with everything noted included $7900 then minus your $750 discount for being an ADV member

rtwpaul screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 05:08 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #59
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

long 16 hour drive at night thru texas mainly in the dark...found the biggest Texan we could to inspect the bikes...

he looked at them from a few angles...

wikedhd thought he had eyes for his XR so he held him back

then a few miles down the road its the Cadillac Ranch...not a patch on the Chicken Ranch but colorful anyhow

then a little of this...

then as the comedian Bill Engvall would say - here's your sign!!!

time to get to Trinidad and unload the bikes and get ready for tomorrow and the start

unloaded the bikes and here's proof that we're not lying on the beach in Hawaii (directed at wikedhdwifey) but actually in Trinidad...read the sign!!!

...but for now, got a room in the Trails End Motel ($49) and heading out now for some food a few beers and then a good nights sleep and the ride starts tomorrow come rain or shine

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 10:43 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #60
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,943
Off to a good start.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote