User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #91
gmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Crooked;
Can you elaborate a bit more on the Military Surplus ECWCS gear? Is this summer or winter gear (insulated?). How did you find the sizing - to size, fits big or small, how was sleeve/leg length for motorcycle use? Do you recall which vendor you dealt with? Ideally I'd like to find some waterproof (Gortex) gear to throw over my motorcycle armored gear. Thanks. Congrats on the new daughter!

Cheers Garry
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #92
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac View Post
Crooked;
Can you elaborate a bit more on the Military Surplus ECWCS gear? Is this summer or winter gear (insulated?). How did you find the sizing - to size, fits big or small, how was sleeve/leg length for motorcycle use? Do you recall which vendor you dealt with? Ideally I'd like to find some waterproof (Gortex) gear to throw over my motorcycle armored gear. Thanks. Congrats on the new daughter!

Cheers Garry
It is considered winter gear (ECWCS = Extended Cold Weather Clothing System) but is just a shell. The parka has a Nylon liner, the pants don't. They don't get brittle in the cold (I've used them down to 30 below), which is nice. Sizing is accurate as they come not just in sm/md/lg, but short/reg/long as well. If you're borderline, go for a size "longer", especially if you'll be mostly using them on the bike. See chart here.

The Gen I stuff (which I have) is supposedly not as breathable as the newer Gore-tex, but if you're wearing it over layers, I don't think it matters much. I bought mine from this guy on Ebay, but he doesn't have any for sale right now. There are lots to be had on Ebay though, and dozens of vendors online.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #93
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
I have a set of Marmot GoreTex pants and jacket that work very well as an over-layer in colder weather wet stuff, but they sure as hell didn't cost what your surplus gear did (more like about 15X), they DO get crispy in cold weather (bought 'em for skiing), and they certainly aren't such a cool camo pattern! I don't think you're cheap, just smart. Sometimes I fall into that "if it ain't name brand it ain't shit" trap and feel like such a TOOL. There's a very good chance that your surplus gear was actually made by Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Lowe Alpine, Dakine, etc. Sheesh.

Is the new baby sleeping through the night yet? I would have had more kids if it hadn't been for the sleep deprivation phase, man that almost killed me. Hang in there, man!

Doug
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #94
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Is the new baby sleeping through the night yet?
Doug

............no.

But we are down to 3 times a night now. One of the best things about breast feeding is that I can't do it . I think my angelic wife has slept through the night about 4 times in the last 5 years. I'm up helping as much as I can though.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #95
gmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks for the input on the rain gear fellows, much appreciated. As you say cheap for Gortex, even at the new price!

Cheers Garry
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #96
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek Oops

Ok, I be back to the RR ASAP, but some of you may remember me mentioning earlier that I hadn't cleaned my air filter in a while...

Turns out, I should have .

Been riding like this for at least the last 4000km.

Won't make that mistake again, but I can't wait to see how much more power I have now . On my way back to Tumbler Ridge tomorrow night...
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #97
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
Arghhhh!!!! Flipping mice! Those things are amazing, the places they can get into. A friend took his car to the mechanic once because it was running very poorly, no power, chugging at low RPM, etc. When he picked it up that evening there was a gallon ZipLock baggie filled to bursting with dog chow sitting on the car seat. WTF?? The service guy said "That was in your air cleaner compartment. We just cleaned it out and put a new filter in and it runs perfectly." He kept the car in his garage next to a 50 pound bag of dog food. I wonder how many trips between the dog chow sack and air cleaner it took for those teensy little mice to fill that compartment up? We have a farm here in Virginia and have endless issues with mice; they will even chew the plastic covering off your wiring. Not good. I made the mistake of storing my beer brewing stuff with some left-over grain near my ski boots once and ended up with both boots nearly filled with grain. That was a lot of trips for those little buggers! Luckily they were too enthralled with the grain to chew on the boot linings. Hopefully your little pals didn't tear anything else up for materials to make their nest.

You know I was just kidding about the sleeping through the night thing. My kids are 26 and 29 now and I still remember the sleep depravation phase. Ughhh. I got caught once sleeping with earplugs screwed in and it took YEARS to get over that indescretion! I tell you, women are a lot tougher than most men I've known. If men had to have the babies there sure as hell wouldn't be 7 billion of us on the planet. I'd do it once and say WHOA that's enough of that crap!!

Take care!

Doug
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #98
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
What kind of map bag is that on your handlebars/tank? Or is that just a homemade ziploc thingy?

Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #99
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Arghhhh!!!! Flipping mice!
Yeah, I lost cylinder #5 in my car last winter at 40 below. I feared the worst, but it turned out that a furry friend had just chewed the injector wire. Soldered it up, a little tape and good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
What kind of map bag is that on your handlebars/tank? Or is that just a homemade ziploc thingy?
It's a SealLine map case, for canoeing/kayaking. It was an impulse purchase on the way out and one of my best. The d-rings happened to be the perfect distance apart to slip over my mirror mounts. Blocks the wind as well.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #100
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,247
Wicked

More pictures! This is not acceptable.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #101
RblueR
Intrepid Brother Bob

Oddometer: 79
The MOST enjoyable R.R. You have a very understanding family - you're a lucky man.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #102
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pissed You want pictures...I'll show you pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
More pictures! This is not acceptable.
Let me know if you guys can see this:

If this works I got a few more for ya.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #103
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
Let me know if you guys can see this:

If this works I got a few more for ya.

I can see it just fine

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #104
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 Interlude: Tumbler Ridge expanded

So when we left off, I was enjoying a 45 minute night's sleep at a gas plant somewhere in the Pine Pass...on asphalt...with no sleeping pad...in a broken tent...with the fly off...in the rain.

But unfortunately, someone exceeded their internet bandwith for the month uploading pictures for you fine folks and now I a reliving the dial up days. I didn't even know i had a limit. But, while we're waiting for them to un-throttle me, I thought I'd show you where I went yesterday (since these pics were already online.)

I retraced my first part of my trip, checking out a few spots I wasn't able to then.

Got a picture of the metropolis of Elmworth this time:

Took a look at Stoney Lake (right before the Wapiti FSR on the Heritage Highway/Boundary Road.) There fishing is supposed to be amazing here.

Then took a detour down the Honeymoon Creek and a couple other roads to ascend Mount Clifford.

The road dead ends at a well site, but there is an ATV trail that goes right into the Alpine tundra. I tried to climb the first big hill twice, but ended up going over backwards each time at the lip and sliding back down. I think I could have made it if I unloaded, but I had places to be.

Places like Mount Hermann.

You can ride right to the top of this gem, which is accessed via Mast Creek FSR. I went in the scenic way via the Wolverine FSR.

The trail was good enough to drive a truck.

After using up all my film (jk), I head back down the mountain and down the Mast Creek FSR to the Murray FSR.

I was heading south this time, to Monkman Provincial Park, and Kinuseo Falls.

The reason for this little jaunt is on the roof of my buddy's Hilux.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #105
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Awesome photos!