Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
spcyrfc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
replacing an old BMW bag latch

These are the bags I have recently acquired:

and because of a latch, it recently found itself resting roadside:

I have realized in researching that there should be some sort of sticky rubber here:

I have been reading this info: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/locks-caps-etc.htm

My questions:

1) Are these bags properly called 'BMW Touring Bags?'
2) Should I replace the flat lock with the 'tublar lock'
3) This seems like an easy fix(just replacing the latch), is it?
4) Should I have some rubber on the bags where they attach to the mount. (running a reynolds rack).

Luke

spcyrfc screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 09:23 PM Reason: adding pic links?
spcyrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Your pictures are not showing for me. It sounds to me like you have the Krauser bags. The latches on them are notorious for failing or popping free, leaving your luggage behind. The latches basicly look like a poor version of a seatbelt latch. But do not hold up to the bouncing and jarring on a bike. The bags themselves are great, but the latches are a weak link in the system.

The majority of us that have those bags will use some sort of strap or bungee cord to secure them to the frame.

Myself, I found a deal on some later bags that use a claw like attachment and it was a simple process to remove the seatbelt tab from my frames and the claw attachment works fine for me. Some people have had issues with this, depending on the mounting frames they have.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Do your bags have "draw latches" which open at right angles to the bags, or do they have latches that open parallel to the bags?

The type which open at right angles, by pulling upward and out away from the bike are the type which take the newer "cylinder" locks.
Those can be purchased in sets of 6 (four to lock the bags closed, and two to attach the bags to the bike), all keyed the same. It costs about $250 for a complete set including locks and keys.

It's the best money you can spend on those bags. They can be ordered from any BMW dealer.
If your bags look like these, take them off and throw them away.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Your pictures are not showing for me. It sounds to me like you have the Krauser bags. The latches on them are notorious for failing or popping free, leaving your luggage behind. The latches basicly look like a poor version of a seatbelt latch. But do not hold up to the bouncing and jarring on a bike. The bags themselves are great, but the latches are a weak link in the system.

The majority of us that have those bags will use some sort of strap or bungee cord to secure them to the frame.

Myself, I found a deal on some later bags that use a claw like attachment and it was a simple process to remove the seatbelt tab from my frames and the claw attachment works fine for me. Some people have had issues with this, depending on the mounting frames they have.
That's known in the latch biz as a "draw latch". Which is the type I referred to above. I've never had those come open or fall off, whether locked or not.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

This ebay sale is for the type I like. These have the old style locks which are a pain in the ass, but work adequately.
The problem is that the tumblers in the locks seem to flop around on their own, and you'll never be able to insert the key at night.
Plus, they're probably very easy to pick.

They're also the type that can be replaced with new locks from BMW. You have to specify the new type lock, because BMW still sells the old type locks for some reason.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
Do your bags have "draw latches" which open at right angles to the bags, or do they have latches that open parallel to the bags?

The type which open at right angles, by pulling upward and out away from the bike are the type which take the newer "cylinder" locks.
Those can be purchased in sets of 6 (four to lock the bags closed, and two to attach the bags to the bike), all keyed the same. It costs about $250 for a complete set including locks and keys.

It's the best money you can spend on those bags. They can be ordered from any BMW dealer.
If your bags look like these, take them off and throw them away.
Buy the later style latches so you can key them to your ignition key and for now just replace the bag to mount latches. Caponerd - If your throwing away perfectly good Krausers I'll PM you my address
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Buy the later style latches so you can key them to your ignition key and for now just replace the bag to mount latches. Caponerd - If your throwing away perfectly good Krausers I'll PM you my address
Sorry, that was just some interweb hyperbole. If I had a pair of those I'd sell them to some unsuspecting suck... er... buyer on ebay.

I have never cared for those things. I can easily fit a full face helmet in the other style bags, those Krausers are pretty near useless for the commuting I do with my RT.
With the other type (what are those things called?) I can lock my helmet and gloves in one, and my Tourmaster jacket in the other, so I don't have to carry my gear to the office with me.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 626
Krausers ... Carries a carton ( 24 cans ) of beer easily ... but you have to carry one on each side for balance ... On many occasions I was the last to get there ... but the party didn't start until I arrived
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
spcyrfc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I added links to the pics. Forgot i shouldn't use flickr.

These bags fit a full face helmet in each and are amply sized. I love having them and would like to repair the one. Seems possible, but not sure. All questions still valid from first post.

Thanks for the input.