Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #61
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Off to a good start.
I'll send you an email later with a Mexico route that mikemike approves and see if u wanna venture south again in October
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #62
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

5000 mile advenutres is taking some of the best of the TAT (trans america trail) the western section so day one with wikedhd (pat), from Trinidad onwards

time to hit the bricks and leave Trinidad

here's Pat ready for his first ADV ride

left Trinidad with a clear blue sky

all good until 8.41am when i lifted my visor to scratch my nose and a wasp gets in and stings me twice!!! emergency stop by this building

then up into the mountains

the obligatory TAT church shot

right around that time the big dark clouds started to come in and we dodged rain most of the day but got a caught a few times, nothing major

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:17 PM
Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #63
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 339
sweet
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #64
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
if you make it close to asheville, nc. we got plenty of space
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #65
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
if you make it close to asheville, nc. we got plenty of space
i'll send you a PM when i'm heading your way, thanks
Old 07-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #66
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Nice pics, Paul!
You'll be glad you packed your camera when you get here.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #67
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
Scandinavia!

When you arrive to Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland) Make shure you contact me and I´ll arrange everything about accomodation and routeplanning for you to make your stay as pleasant as possible!

I have ADV-friends all over who are more than happy to take a traveller every once in a while!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #68
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

got up late, plan was for 200 miles, end up in Ouray late afternoon and hang out and relax….plan failed

by the time we got to the bottom of Hancock Pass it was about 8.30am.

I found out real quick the gearing on my bike was going to be a problem (too low)

if you've never been up here, this is a worms eye view, this isn't rock or pebbles this is boulders most of the way and its just a case of gas it and the boulders determine your line to a certain extent

i had two get offs before i was halfway up and then a third which would have made great video but no one even saw it. my front wheel hit a big rock throwing it up in the air, right at that same time i grabbed a hand full of throttle and wheelied into a bush at almost 90 degrees to the trail.

that trail is crazy tough and by the time we were at the top it was close to noon…

i guess living in Louisiana at sea level made it real tough going with the altitude, we had to take a good few rests. this was to hurt us later…

up and down pass after pass, getting caught in the rain

By the time we were at the the top of Cinnamon we had been in the rain for a few hours and at cloud level

later at california pass we got a little lost, we were both on reserve, and then on the way down my rear brake fluid boiled so i had to roll down from 12,000 feet with the motor off and using the gearing for braking

…eventually hitting 550 Pat ran out of gas and i had to tow him into town….quite a day that ended at 11pm…but fun all the same

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:26 PM
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #69
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manneman View Post
When you arrive to Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland) Make shure you contact me and I´ll arrange everything about accomodation and routeplanning for you to make your stay as pleasant as possible!

I have ADV-friends all over who are more than happy to take a traveller every once in a while!

won't be for a few years but i will keep your contact info...thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #70
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,553
I'm in for another one...
Flashmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #71
wikedhdwifey
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Anxious here!

I sure hope you two get OUT of Ouray alot easier and safer than y'all got IN to Ouray!! Ride safe and keep my husband safe!!!!
wikedhdwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #72
wikedhdwifey
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Love the pics

Paul I love your pics.......especially the ones with the red and white HONDA in them!!!
wikedhdwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #73
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 550
I am going to tag along for this ride.

Great pics by the way.....
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #74
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

left Ouray late after trying to find somewhere to get breakfast on a Sunday morning, plenty of places but all with a long wait…found somewhere and got riding around 9 am,

first order of business for the day was Ophir Pass. Going out of Ouray around the switchbacks my front end felt very notchy so we rode down the pass towards Silverton to the gas station at the bottom, the plan was get some grease and fix it…a quick teardown to clean and regrease the bearing. the gas station had no grease but the garage in the back had the owner there helping a guy with a bicycle. i asked if i pulled my front end apart could i get some grease? "sure no problem, i love helping you ADV guys out" so i tear the front end down to get the top bearing out and its partially ceased, all this in front of his shop he refuses to help and i didn't ask and didn't need any but he makes comments as i go along of course then i get literally a teaspoon of grease - now keep in mind here i could have gone into town and got a tub full for $5….as i'm putting the front end back together he comes up and says "i'm leaving now give me $10!" Moral of the story ride the two minutes more in to town

OK, front end back together and up Ophir…very cool, had to wait to go down the other side as a 50+ year old lady was jogging up, should have got a photo of her

we headed west to Utah after that and hit Moki Dugway, Goosenecks, Mexican Hat before finally settling at Valley of the Gods…

a storm looked like it was coming in, Pat somehow had a signal on his phone and it said 55% chance of rain - wrong. try 100% and it came down hard, with about 50mph + winds and a a full on lightning show to end the day, rain came down the whole night and at times it felt like the tent was being lifted up with me in it!

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:45 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #75
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 412
Nice!

Spectacular pix, Paul! Thanks for posting after a couple of taxing days!

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote