Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #151
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Rake is what i meant and yes I have seen it done on a race bike (GP125) with concentric rings. I think some just showed a diagram a few posts back.
I think a lot of the Ducati 916/996/998 family (the higher spec models at least) had eccentric head bearing seats as well, giving about a degree of rake adjustment.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #152
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
I just got the actual order for training roadbooks from JCR, so it looks like the team will indeed be coming over for some fun and sun!

HogWild screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 10:42 AM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #153
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I just got the actual order for training roadbooks from JCR, so it looks like the team will indeed be coming over for some fun and sun.

The routes Johnny selected (for those who have ridden some of these and remember) are Pahrump Loops (281mi, 452km), Pahrump-Jean Loop (226mi, 364km), Bishop-Dumont (316mi, 509km), Primmo (301mi, 487km).

Each of these routes are almost entirely dirt, with little or no liaison. Average high temperature for Pahrump in August is 100F, 38C, yikes!

On the Bishop-Dumont day they'll hit a high altitude of 9636ft (2937m), and a low altitude of -213ft (-65m) BELOW sea level in Death Valley, all in about a 2 to 3 hour period. That should be a good stress test on the bikes and riders!
Great news Scott
I'm curious to know just how many roadbooks were ordered. Surely there will be support along for the ride, but will there be some youngsters along for training?
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #154
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
You cant buy a KTM 450 rally equivalent to that of Coma or Despres. You buy a similar bike. Probably the best bike you can buy ready for rally racing but not comparable. Engine's and suspension are both in another league.
Actually, you can get some of the factory parts if you're willing to pay. The 50mm alu forks are for rent for Dakar- 32,000 Euro to rent for the race, including a technician. You don't get to keep them (or, presumably, the tech) after the race.

As usual in motorcycling, I suspect the indian is much more important than the arrow... factory suspension for me would have meant fuck-all, but hey, if you've got the money, you may as well spend it, right?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #155
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Actually, you can get some of the factory parts if you're willing to pay. The 50mm alu forks are for rent for Dakar- 32,000 Euro to rent for the race, including a technician. You don't get to keep them (or, presumably, the tech) after the race.

As usual in motorcycling, I suspect the indian is much more important than the arrow... factory suspension for me would have meant fuck-all, but hey, if you've got the money, you may as well spend it, right?
Seriously? That is some crazy coin. Are the factory bikes really running gear that could translate into such improved performance that some would even consider paying 32 Large just to rent?
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #156
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
I'm curious to know just how many roadbooks were ordered. Surely there will be support along for the ride, but will there be some youngsters along for training?
Well, I thought you wanted photos of the bikes, but since you want a number instead, it l can't give you that. What fun is this thread without speculation? For every post with real facts, there have to be at least 10 to 20 speculation posts.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #157
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Well, I thought you wanted photos of the bikes, but since you want a number instead, it l can't give you that. What fun is this thread without speculation? For every post with real facts, there have to be at least 10 to 20 speculation posts.
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #158
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

Pretty much the same as a factory engine that tops out at 175 instead of 165 kmph
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #159
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
I just got the actual order for training roadbooks from JCR, so it looks like the team will indeed be coming over for some fun and sun.

The routes Johnny selected (for those who have ridden some of these and remember) are Pahrump Loops (281mi, 452km), Pahrump-Jean Loop (226mi, 364km), Bishop-Dumont (316mi, 509km), Primmo (301mi, 487km).

Each of these routes are almost entirely dirt, with little or no liaison. Average high temperature for Pahrump in August is 100F, 38C, yikes!

On the Bishop-Dumont day they'll hit a high altitude of 9636ft (2937m), and a low altitude of -213ft (-65m) BELOW sea level in Death Valley, all in about a 2 to 3 hour period. That should be a good stress test on the bikes and riders!
Could be a decent liaison both ends if they decide to ride from LA - unless they are flying into Vegas
Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #160
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Hey Scott,
That will be a feather in your cap Scott, your roadbooks are always extremely accurate and realistic. You have reason to be very proud sir, and I feel priviledged to have ridden your routes.
brent tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #161
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Picked this up while scouring the MotoGP threads,

In the coming days Suppo, however, will take care not to speed, but the Dakar. He's been called to Japan to give his advice on the return of the Japanese giant in rally-raid.

"I was pleased, is a sign of respect - he said, then closing with a joke - maybe I can give Valentino Rossi a Honda for the Dakar."

Livio is currently director of marketing and communications for HRC and masterminded the move of Stoner to honda.

Worrying stuff for the orange camp, seems like Honda is all in...

Source
Old 07-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #162
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Picked this up while scouring the MotoGP threads,

In the coming days Suppo, however, will take care not to speed, but the Dakar. He's been called to Japan to give his advice on the return of the Japanese giant in rally-raid.

"I was pleased, is a sign of respect - he said, then closing with a joke - maybe I can give Valentino Rossi a Honda for the Dakar."

Livio is currently director of marketing and communications for HRC and masterminded the move of Stoner to honda.

Worrying stuff for the orange camp, seems like Honda is all in...

Source
yeah it would be nice to see Valentino participating to the Dakar Well he is pretty good in motocross, he could do it for sure with a bit of training. Anyway Suppo is very fond of offroad motorbikes, I think he even participated to one of those old Camel Trophy Bike edtions (with Honda Dominator)...
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #163
too old
Keen supporter

Sam's getting aclimatized for the Nevada heat

http://www.hondaproracing.com/world_...30%2F07%2F2012
Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #164
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Sam's getting aclimatized for the Nevada heat

http://www.hondaproracing.com/world_...30%2F07%2F2012
I think you might have it backward...he won't need to acclimatize for the heat in Nevada since it's just as bad (or worse) where he lives. Imagine 110 F and then add 45% relative humidity. Your body feels like it is 143 F (and that's in the shade!). Full sunshine can add 15 F more to the heat index. I went to Jeddah on the coast for a scuba dive and the humidity sucked the life out of me. I was glas to get back to the dry heat of Riyadh (only 6% humidity today). I can imagine that temperature-wise going to Nevada will feel like a vacation.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #165
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,731
What the hell kind of magic is there in 32,000 euro rental forks!?
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote