mehigh OP
bum

Oddometer: 223
it's been a long time

So, I haven't posted here in a long time, here's my excuse
2 cases of malaria
1 trip back home
1 case of sever diarrhea...

it's not like i've done alot of riding in the last 3 months.

The reasons I don't do much riding is because when you get where ever you are going, their is nothing to do there, can't a buy a beer or some food, so it makes riding long distances not so interesting.

The only place I found where you can show up and find hotels and restaurants and stores to buy some beer and stuff is Port Salut.

so these are the last 3 trips I did

Abricots

Corail

Coastal Road
mehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #47
mehigh OP
bum

Abricots

Not much to say about Abricots,
in this trip we were looking for a way to get to Dame-Marie by the coast, but when we got to Abricots, all we found was a deep river and a cliff on the other side.
We parked the bikes and cross the river by foot and went hiking on the other side to see if we could find a way to cross with the bikes. Unfortunately doesn't look possible. In a few weeks we will see if we can find an other way...

some pics

my riding buddy

me

view of the bay of Abricots

Pirates with their booty (coal)

The place is called Abricots, but really it should be called Mango... they have thousand of mango trees there, and it was the season too...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #48
mehigh OP
bum

Abricots video, Now with Kompa

so... i replaced the sound of those skeeky brakes with some Kompa

enjoy

mehigh screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 05:34 PM
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #49
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thanks for the post, I've been eager to see some more photos from you and your trip over there as the island interests me very much. Is the lack of hotels and places to eat/drink a result of the earthquake or merely their lack of infrastructure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehigh View Post
So, I haven't posted here in a long time, here's my excuse
2 cases of malaria
1 trip back home
1 case of sever diarrhea...

it's not like i've done alot of riding in the last 3 months.

The reasons I don't do much riding is because when you get where ever you are going, their is nothing to do there, can't a buy a beer or some food, so it makes riding long distances not so interesting.

The only place I found where you can show up and find hotels and restaurants and stores to buy some beer and stuff is Port Salut.

so these are the last 3 trips I did
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #50
mehigh OP
bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
Thanks for the post, I've been eager to see some more photos from you and your trip over there as the island interests me very much. Is the lack of hotels and places to eat/drink a result of the earthquake or merely their lack of infrastructure?
Thanks, more pics coming, I just ave to edit my next video and upload it.

So for your question. Noting bad in this country is a direct result of the earthquake. Not to say that the earthquake didn't have a negative impact on the country... but to be the reason why shit is fuck up here, no!

Maybe I should start a rant in jo momma or something to tell things as I see them after 8 months... won't be nice
Old 08-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #51
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
please do, i'd be very interested! a link would be appreciated as well, if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehigh View Post
Thanks, more pics coming, I just ave to edit my next video and upload it.

So for your question. Noting bad in this country is a direct result of the earthquake. Not to say that the earthquake didn't have a negative impact on the country... but to be the reason why shit is fuck up here, no!

Maybe I should start a rant in jo momma or something to tell things as I see them after 8 months... won't be nice
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #52
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I was in Haiti in 1994.

Looks a LOT nicer than when I was there.

My ride was a High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle aka HMMWV, aka Humvee, or simply Hummer.
And it was definitely an ATGATT kinda place at that time. Different kinda ATGATT but I never left home without my helmet, kevlar "riding vest," boots, and automatic rifle :)

Seriously, is it SAFE to ride there? People are so poor I they are desperate for anything of value. Or that's how is WAS when I was there.

If it is safe - maybe the government should put a "Director of Adventure Riding" in the interior or tourism department and make some maps of good routes and then start advertising for ADV riders to visit!

Did I mention it is HOT and HUMID there - unless it's raining then it HOT and WET :)
J
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #53
mehigh OP
bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
please do, i'd be very interested! a link would be appreciated as well, if you do.
I will, but after I leave the island, it will be better for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #54
mehigh OP
bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
I was in Haiti in 1994.

Looks a LOT nicer than when I was there.

My ride was a High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle aka HMMWV, aka Humvee, or simply Hummer.
And it was definitely an ATGATT kinda place at that time. Different kinda ATGATT but I never left home without my helmet, kevlar "riding vest," boots, and automatic rifle :)

Seriously, is it SAFE to ride there? People are so poor I they are desperate for anything of value. Or that's how is WAS when I was there.

If it is safe - maybe the government should put a "Director of Adventure Riding" in the interior or tourism department and make some maps of good routes and then start advertising for ADV riders to visit!

Did I mention it is HOT and HUMID there - unless it's raining then it HOT and WET :)
J
I am as far away as possible from port au prince in the country as possible. I don't find it dangerous. I just find it annoying that the first thing people say to you is to ask for money... it gets old really fast and makes me not want to stop for pics when people are around
sa
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #55
Stanley_RR
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I want to see more pictures and ride reports from Haiti!!
LOOOOL

Jacmel???
Stanley_RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #56
mehigh OP
bum

picture dumping

So... i'm 1 month in to a trip from Canada to Argentina and I don't feel right to start my new RR (which i probably won't finish) without finishing this one!

so here are my last pictures of haiti.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #57
mehigh OP
bum

road to Corrail

Corail is a little town in the department of Grand"Anse, there are two roads to get there and none of them patrolled by the UN. it also has the biggest port i've seen for a town of about 1000... later i found out that the region is controlled by Guy Philippe

http://www.justice.gov/dea/fugitives...993DFDE8.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Philippe

no biggy for us, we just ride bikes.

dirt twistys

enjoying local beer

people capsize boats to fix them
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #58
mehigh OP
bum

Coastal road

this was my last "big" ride on the island befor i left. it was a two day ride with a stop over in Port Salut.

It was almost all done off road along the coast and was one of my best rides. A communication error prior to leaving made in sort that i took a wrong turn and took the long way round to Port Salut unlike my two companions who took the short paved road. I'm really happy I took the other road, but i times i thought i would be spending the night on a deserted beach! Sounds good, just not in Haiti.

their is a road trough there, I swear!

restaurant and hotel for the night... where my friends waited for my arrival!

next morning, same old shit.... more coastal roads

A church in one of the few towns we crossed

Back to more coast

and beaches

and then mountains aong the coast

most of the last kms along the coast where going from sea level up to 1000m back to sea level in just a few km. the climbs where really steep, made for some interesting ridding.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #59
SoDak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Isn't that Dan's Hotel? I was there a few nights. Awesome place!
SoDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #60
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Thanks for the super report with photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote