Oddometer: 106
*applause*
subscribed
Belaflek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,407
Heh, you almost lost me with the title of your RR - NOT "men" here but still love the roads up toward Yosemite - but glad you guys had a blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Day Three

The chilly night gave way to an early morning - I couldn't wait to see what Yosemite had in store for us this morning. After a delicious? breakfast of water and clif bars we raced back up the access road and headed East to Olmstead Point - what looked to be an excellent first stop.

on the way

only YOU can prevent forest fires

Olmstead Point

I'd like to take a minute to thank F.L. Olmstead and John Muir or really whoever was responsible for the road design and layout in Yosemite. They may not have had motorcyclists in mind at the time but damn, they did design an excellent set of roads to enjoy amazing scenery while really tearing up some corners. Y'all know what a picture is worth - I'll pick back up in a little bit.

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Cresting at just under 10,000 feet as we exited Yosemite, the road which had been cut out of the steep hillside began descending into the valley below. In the distance we could see a large vivid blue lake. (We would later learn to be Mono Lake.)

The road offered up some awesome views and amazing guardrail free corners - we all enjoyed the hell out of the trip down.

Once down below we made a quick stop for gas, power bars and a redbull - you'll probably see a recurring theme here.

There was plenty of day left so while down out of the mountains we decided to explore the area around the lake. Riding a short stint on the highway, I spotted an old road - that was now a sand track through the sage brush - and we were back in the dirt. Cruising along at a good pace, this gave Bernie and I a chance to see how the new Heidinau tires would handle in the sand. A good tank slapper later we knew not to push it too far with the heavy bike and mild front tire.

At an intersection the road continued on due South for miles, West up into the hills, or East towards the lake. We turned left, crossed back over the highway and made our way to the lake, hoping to get to the shoreline.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

A bit less sand on this road didn't quicken our pace much, it was replaced by good sized rocks that rolled around like marbles under the tires. Still, we made good time towards the lake blasting the straight sections and carrying as much speed as possible throught the switchbacks that dropped down into the valleys eroded by many years of runoff from the mountains.

Cruising down a straightaway we passed a sign that read "Flooding ahead". Not thinking too much of it because of the dry weather, I rounded a corner obscured by some low trees that really should have clued me in. I stopped, took a second look and just went for it. Dropping into the rocky river in first gear I became quite surprised as water started splashing up onto the windshield after the front tire was submerged. I emerged on the other side dry enough and turned around to catch a glimpse of Bernie looking skeptically at the river before nosing in himself, a bit further upstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3owN...ature=youtu.be

Watching Shawn easily negotiate the river and emerge dry, the three of us headed down the old test site road (named why?) past abandoned buildings and some inhabited buildings that probably should have been abandoned long ago.

A small sandy track split off from the main road and after a pause to let Shawn and Bernie catch up, I turned off to see where it would bring us.

epicxcrider screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 02:40 PM
Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

We all quickly realized that this sand was SOFT. I let my front tire wander into the center of the two track and just about lost it right there - a little bit of spinning and I got both tires back onto the firmer edge of the trail. Riding the edge was complicated further by the misquite bushes encroaching on the trail. Concious of getting stuck by thorns, I put one hand guard in the bushes and was glad I had on tough gear.

Behind, Bernie's side bags did a great job of taking out most of the encroaching bush so Shawn probably had the easiest run of it. Dropping down a little hill as the trail curved right we ended up in a dead end spot and found a firm place to drop the sidestand.

Midday in the high desert (sagebrush?) the heat was getting pretty intense so it was a good time for a break to explore a little bit - we started making our way to the shoreline.

Shortly it became clear it would not be as easy as heading in the general direction. What appeared to be low brush quickly grew taller than all of us obscuring our view and turning into a maze of sand, brush, and TUFA. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufa)

These formations of calcium carbonate were quite remarkabale and now completely blocking us from getting to the lake shore. Decicing not to burn anymore daylight trying, we backtracked and decided to ride a bit further down the lake to what appeared to be a good place to walk around.

Lifting the sidestand from the soft sand, I thought this little hill could get a bit interesting...

A little spin and no drama, I was up and around the corner to watching the others. Bernie was next - about halfway up his front tire ended up in the soft sand and the rear just dug itself in right there. One more try to get it out and he was up to the frame. Shawn came running up the hill to help while I sat and snapped a few photos like a true friend.

I arrived on the scene just in time to watch Shawn and Bernie muscle the whole back end of the bike up out of the hole and off to the side. A bit more spin to get some bite and Bernie was back up on to the level trail. Shawn tractored up on the DR with no issue and we cautiously made our way to the road.

epicxcrider screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 06:33 AM
Old 07-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
graniterover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
What a very small world it is. I haven't seen your FJ in town lately. PM me if you want to go for a MC ride. Or, if you feel like a real man, get an XR50 and battle us - we have access to ~2000 acres in town.

- Mark, the other FJ (TT) in Hollis....

Love the pics of your adventure.
graniterover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #23
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graniterover View Post
What a very small world it is. I haven't seen your FJ in town lately. PM me if you want to go for a MC ride. Or, if you feel like a real man, get an XR50 and battle us - we have access to ~2000 acres in town.

- Mark, the other FJ (TT) in Hollis....

Love the pics of your adventure.
Ha! It is :). I moved down the street and haven't been driving it much lately.

The xr50 sounds like a blast too - ill shoot ya a pm!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #24
Tallgears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Awesome ride.
Tallgears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,688
Ha! Those "shortcuts" into Yosemite are quite literally in my backyard. I live on Foresta rd, which is part of that network. I'm in on this one boys! Wish I could have met up with ya!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Back on the big two lane dirt, Bernie had spotted a road up ahead that would lead us to the lake shore we had been trying to reach for about two hours now.

A mile or so down the road, a line of bright green running through the sagebrush and sand prepared me for a second water crossing. We approached it straight on and besides being a bit longer was about the same as the previous one.

Without hesitation I dropped to first gear, picked my line, and throttled through. Partway across as I felt the water starting to fill my boots I realized I had underestimated the depth and strength of the current. Before I knew it I was going over, instinctually snapping the kill switch just before most of the bike submerged. Before I knew what happened I had it back upright and running, apparently blasting about a gallon of water out of the muffler. Bernie had run in to help stabilize and we had her back on dry land in a few seconds.

Bernie and then Shawn picked their way across more cautiously (probably even using the clutch) as I drained half a gallon of water out of each boot and let it run out my sleeves and pant legs. I was completely soaked - but the bike and camera were fine. I got myself back together and we found our way to the lakeshore - a good place to dry out for a bit.

We pulled up to a boat launch ramp just as a research vessel all the way from Jersey was launching. We learned from them Mono lake has about four times the salinity of the Pacific ocean and about the only thing living in it are brine shrimp. It was a nice spot to relax for a little while.

It was mid afternoon by the time I had dried out a bit and suited back up. More than a little hungry by now, we made our way through town back up to the Yosemite access road where there was a gas station with what looked to be a decent restruaunt inside.

Decent would be an understatement. This place served some mean mexican dishes - my fish tacos were awesome considering the location and price.
Reinvigoriated, it was decided we should make for camp and enjoy a hike and a dip in the river before the cold set in for the evening.

Trying to build a good head of steam climbing back up to 10,000 feet on the mountain road I really started to notice the lack of power. I'd drop to 5th, 4th, no pull - it just made more noise - 3rd, finally she'd pull hard again. Climbing, amazing turns, amazing views, more climbing. Back in Yosemite I enjoyed riding each corner the opposite direction and soaked in a new take on the scenery.

Back at camp - a good beer, a good swim, a warm can of soup, a good nights sleep. Tomorrow would be a big day.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day Four

We made sure to break camp early to get a good start on the ride back to San Fran. Why not North? Well, I had something to see to in the bay area - but I'll get to that later.

After we left the foothills it was a boring ride back to San Fran that put us back in Woodside around noon.

59 and windy was chilly weather here compared to the heat we had been through. Refreshing for a while, we all soon wished for a bit of legendary Cali sun

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,770
Thumb Subscribed,

Looking forward to more of this ride.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

As we exited stage West out of Woodside that wish was replaced by sheer excitement and adrenaline. We cleared the residential section and were treated to a car-free wide open blast up into the mountains on King’s Mountain Road. No traffic, sharper turns, higher banks all made it even more amazing than La Honda road! We all tore up the road into the hills, trying to stay in the lead I was really pushing my limits at this point - but learning a lot as we went. Dropping to first gear to power out of the tightest corners and never finding the end of third gear we were on a mission to scrub the tires right to the edge.

Shawn has some go pro footage I hope we can upload here :)

Emerging onto a main road just as I thought the fun part was over, I spotted the road continuing diagonally across the intersection. Accelerating back into third gear I found the twisties just as nice on the west side of the mountains. The climate change was immediate and amazing, transforming from dry deciduous trees to conifers dripping with lichen and covered in moss. Noting the thick humid air and wet road, I took it down a notch on the descent to keep the rubber side down. I had to make it to Half Moon Bay in one piece.

The only photo I have - it was just too much fun

Arriving at Half Moon Bay after a quick cruise down Main st we headed for Pillar point to walk out and at least touch the left ocean. No swimming here - bacteria warning flag was up and it was far from warm out.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Busy week! Will update soon!