Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #166
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,531
When we preran the stage that goes through Death Valley, it was 113°F (45°C). The faster you go, the faster the heat cooks your skin!

HogWild screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 10:41 AM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #167
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
I think you might have it backward...he won't need to acclimatize for the heat in Nevada since it's just as bad (or worse) where he lives. Imagine 110 F and then add 45% relative humidity. Your body feels like it is 143 F (and that's in the shade!). Full sunshine can add 15 F more to the heat index. I went to Jeddah on the coast for a scuba dive and the humidity sucked the life out of me. I was glas to get back to the dry heat of Riyadh (only 6% humidity today). I can imagine that temperature-wise going to Nevada will feel like a vacation.

- Ken
Cheers, appreciate that, Was out in Vegas and the area in July a few years ago and it was quite pleasant compared with the Gulf!
Just some info on what he is up to. It's been between 45 - 50 C here for the last week or so, that hot that humidity is hardly a consideration, so yes Navada may not be that uncomfortable, but 6 - 8 hrs on the bike (or more) will be pretty tough.

Sam will spend most days training with an hour or so on the bike (motor) the same on the cycle or a 10 k run and maybe some gym time, not to mention the extended practice/testing, so the overall heat next month wil be ok, as will his fitness in the big one.

He is really up for it and if Honda get the bike right then he will raise a few eyebrows; first Pharoans at the end of Sept so lets see how the new bike performs in public

too old screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 10:11 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #168
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
first Pharoans at the end of Sept so lets see how the new bike performs in public
Have HRC announced entry with the new bike?

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #169
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Re: Pharoans

Maybe I'll see you there? Flights to Cairo are cheap from here and I'm trying to line up a trip to cover the first few days of rhe rally.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #170
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
- Don't believe so, they still only have the initial Dakar intention announcement, but if they don't race it they will be arriving for the Dakar only having tested it - but some pretty tough testing
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #171
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
AFAIK, Sunderland will be going to Egypt. If it's on the new HRC ride, I can't say. Hélder must surely be going, too, as to defend his position in the world championship.

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #172
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Zanol on the new HRC team:

What can you talk about the motorcycle that will run in the Dakar?

The bike is designed specifically for the Dakar. The experience I have with CRF 450X is that it is a great bike, very sturdy and reliable. I've run the Sertőes twice and have trained a lot with the bike to facilitate the adjustment when the prototype is ready.

You have scheduled trips to Japan to follow the development of the motorcycle? Is there a prescribed test?

The team has a test in August in California, but I can not go because I'll be competing in the Rally of Sertőes. My first test will be in September in Japan This trip should last a week and will be important for me to make arrangements in conjunction with the mechanics for the Dakar. I can not wait to see the new bike.

http://www.crossbrasil.com.br/201207...akar-2013.html
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #173
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,276
I imagine a beefier piston goes in? something with a longer skirt? How else do you get more time out of the mid-end?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #174
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
When we preran the stage that goes through Death Valley, it was 113°F (45°C). The faster you go, the faster the heat cooks your skin!

Here's a video with a lot of footage from that Bishop-Dumont stage, which the Honda team are planning on doing:

Does the park service give you a permit to run a race thru a national park and make it a closed course? Just curious how that works?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #175
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Does the park service give you a permit to run a race thru a national park and make it a closed course? Just curious how that works?
They would never allow a race there. Our "Death Valley Rally" was simply a small group of friends on a dual sport ride. We didn't "race", we just passed through on a scenic fun ride.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #176
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Pizzolito commented that "other drivers" (read Despres and Chaleco) were very, very interested in getting information on the whole HRC hing.

They even examined Pizzolito´s bike, while in fact it was he same bike which he raced last Dakar.
No HRC inout in his Honda Argentina bike so far.
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #177
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
Pizzolito commented that "other drivers" (read Despres and Chaleco) were very, very interested in getting information on the whole HRC hing.

They even examined Pizzolito´s bike, while in fact it was he same bike which he raced last Dakar.
No HRC inout in his Honda Argentina bike so far.
I would expect that Despres and Coma would be looking to wrap up their 2 wheeled careers in the next year or two with a few more wins before switching to the relative safety of 4 wheels like so many before them. With that, knowing how HRC approaches a new venture, I would expect they and KTM are a little concerned at the new effort. As for Chaleco, perhaps that is a little concern about an opportunity that passed him by? Bordone-Ferrari is exciting and promising, but most definitely don't bring the resources of an HRC sized effort.

Just speculation on my part.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #178
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
I would expect that Despres and Coma would be looking to wrap up their 2 wheeled careers in the next year or two with a few more wins before switching to the relative safety of 4 wheels like so many before them. With that, knowing how HRC approaches a new venture, I would expect they and KTM are a little concerned at the new effort. As for Chaleco, perhaps that is a little concern about an opportunity that passed him by? Bordone-Ferrari is exciting and promising, but most definitely don't bring the resources of an HRC sized effort.

Remember too that Despres first Dakar effort was on a 400XR I believed and he used to work as a mechanic for a dealer, not sure of he was a honda dealer though or not... I guess all of that to say that he may have a special interest in Honda despite the fact that he obviously has to be somewhat concerned about such a main player coming back to the Dakar.

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #179
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:

Chaleco started with Honda too as far as I know and currently is a Honda dealer in Chile... Anyways, dont think the opportunity was there when he signed for BF.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #180
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Chaleco started with Honda too as far as I know and currently is a Honda dealer in Chile... Anyways, dont think the opportunity was there when he signed for BF.
I think BF may surprise people. They have a serious budget, and put in an impressive display in Sardegna, which bodes well for their organization.

All in all, I'm excited to see a deeper field at the top. I think KTM may get a bit of a run for it's money between Honda, and BF.

But I stand by the comment that there are only a few riders who can lead from the front... and KTM has most of them.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote