Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #136
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,645
Nice hydraulic clutch, but I like the simplicity and easy maintenance of the cable clutch. AW- I'm surprised you'd want this for a RTW bike!??
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #137
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Nice hydraulic clutch, but I like the simplicity and easy maintenance of the cable clutch. AW- I'm surprised you'd want this for a RTW bike!??
It's not ALWAYS a RTW bike. It's more of an all purpose bike. Day trips, weekend trips, ride around town errand runner, week-long trips, year-long trips, etc. I really like the hydraulic clutches I've used on my friends' road and dirt bikes and by now they've become pretty reliable. I guess for any long trips I'd just switch back to the cable. It'd be a 10 minute job tops to switch it back.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #138
ontic

Oddometer: 1,051
As I've said before when the topic arose, I'm definitely in favour of a (good quality, nicely installed and protected by bash gaurd) hydraulic clutch. I've had two clutch cable failures in as many years on my 90/6, many days ride from home- the first one two days before christmas. First time I had a spare cable with me, second time I clutchless shifter for a while and got a cable from a friend. Both times were headaches.
In the whole time I've owned it I've had zero problems with my old master cylinder or calipers.
Those magura kits sound pretty reliable... time will tell.
If the bike in question didn't already have a hydraulic system that required maintenance, then yeah, if you were so inclined, I'd say KISS- but to me as it is I think... what is one more hydraulic system to maintain? I'd bleed my brake when I did my clutch, and do my clutch when I did my brake, and they'd both be happier for it. If the clutch failed, I'd just be back to clutchless shifting like when your last cable fails.

I'd really like to hear the short and longer term feedback on this unit.
I've put an ASV clutch perch on my G/S- it really feels fantastic so I am in no rush to change it, but sometime down the line I'm inclined towards hydraulic. I got no luck with cables.
Cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #139
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
what is one more hydraulic system to maintain? I'd bleed my brake when I did my clutch, and do my clutch when I did my brake, and they'd both be happier for it.
The only kicker is that the hydraulic clutches use mineral oil rather than more widely available DOT 3 or 5. Anything else will eat the seals. You might be able to get away with some kind of cooking oil in a pinch if you had to drain and rebleed the system for whatever reason. Actually I think they have a seal kit you can get that allows use of brake fluid instead of mineral oil. Details.

From what I've seen on my friends' bikes the hydraulic clutches have been pretty reliable. I've gone through several clutch cables in the time they've had their hydraulic clutches which they basically haven't touched. The one exception being the time a friend low sided his 950 adventure on the left side doing around 60mph . The clutch master cylinder took quite a hit and shattered. My friend was also in pretty bad shape, so I let him ride my bike. I had to ride his bike clutchless shifting with VERY bent handlebars from central oregon back to Seattle. 6-7 hours on small two lane roads, got back around 2:00AM. In that particular case we probably could've bodged together a cable actuated clutch. There was no possibility for any roadside hillbilly fixes with the hydraulic clutch.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 04:03 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #140
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
The only kicker is that the hydraulic clutches use mineral oil rather than more widely available DOT 3 or 5. Anything else will eat the seals. You might be able to get away with some kind of cooking oil in a pinch if you had to drain and rebleed the system for whatever reason.
A friend experimented with baby oil in the hydraulic clutch on his KTM 640, as I remember, he suffered no ill effect from using this very common mineral oil. Hillbilly repairs might be possible with a grocery nearby.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #141
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,645
..... The one exception being the time a friend low sided his 950 adventure on the left side doing around 60mph . The clutch master cylinder took quite a hit and shattered. My friend was also in pretty bad shape, so I let him ride my bike...."

Well if one bust the slave on the BMW then I'd be pretty sure the slave will be the least of your worries!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #142
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Well if one bust the slave on the BMW then I'd be pretty sure the slave will be the least of your worries!!!
Breaking the slave cylinder would be tough. Busting up the master not as much, but then again it's not any more vulnerable than your front brake MC either.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #143
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M View Post
A friend experimented with baby oil in the hydraulic clutch on his KTM 640, as I remember, he suffered no ill effect from using this very common mineral oil. Hillbilly repairs might be possible with a grocery nearby.
Baby oil would work... the reason WHY you need more oil would be the concern for me.
Middle of nowhere may have the oil, but o-rings or???
Neat idea though.
S.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #144
BMBoy
Phantom

Oddometer: 5
How's it riding

Hey Dakar83

After a little time to get used to the bike......

How's it feel on/off road?

Has it filled the gap between the DR and the 1200?
BMBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #145
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Hello BMBoy

I have done a bit short of 1000km and it's back at the workshop for the run in 1000km service. The forks were leaking badly and the front suspension was too soft, so the forks have been sent to Teknik for a rebuild. But despite that I have loved every km. if you look back through my posts you'll see that I say it feels so much lighter than the 1200. The seating position is better for dirt rides and I have fitted a winglet to the Lynx Screen so that I can ride visor up on the highway then just reach forward and slide the screen down when I go onto dirt. I have only done +/- 20km on dirt so far because of the front fork situation but I was very happy with the handling. It tracks well through soft sand and gave me a lot of confidence on the gravel and through the ruts. The motor has plenty of torque and little throttle use is required in soft sand, it just pulls through effortlessly. The low speed handling on the dirt is so much better than the 1200. It's just planted and goes where you want, gives a very confident feel. I kept the speed down especially through the whoops and pot holes because of the front shocks but it put a big smile on the dial.

So comparisons, on the black top it is way more comfortable and better handling than the DR650, of course not as comfortable and smooth as the 1200 but much closer to the 1200 than the 650, and corners very well. On the dirt mindful I really need more km under the belt, but I would say much closer to the 650 than the 1200. In fact the seating position for me at 6'5" is better than the DR650 and I think I would be happy to take the HPM everywhere I have been on the 650, I would not say the same for the 1200.

I am yet to get the HPM weighed but to give you an idea when stationary I can lean it right over comfortably and lift it back up with ease and confidence. If I tried to lean the 1200 over like that it would just keep going and lay down. I believe it's going to do even better than fill the gap between 1200 and 650, it promises to give me the all the fun and agility of the 650 off road with 80% or so of the comfort of the 1200 for black top touring.
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #146
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 626
Really been liking your thread . Next time you are down Nannup way ... hit me up . Whilst I don't do gravel ... I can always point you in the way of a few nice tracks
Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #147
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
weight

I estimate your HPM 220 KG (105 KG front and 115 KG on the rear) including 43lt. fuel. With helium in the tyres I gain 198 KG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar83 View Post
Hello BMBoy

I have done a bit short of 1000km and it's back at the workshop for the run in 1000km service. The forks were leaking badly and the front suspension was too soft, so the forks have been sent to Teknik for a rebuild. But despite that I have loved every km. if you look back through my posts you'll see that I say it feels so much lighter than the 1200. The seating position is better for dirt rides and I have fitted a winglet to the Lynx Screen so that I can ride visor up on the highway then just reach forward and slide the screen down when I go onto dirt. I have only done +/- 20km on dirt so far because of the front fork situation but I was very happy with the handling. It tracks well through soft sand and gave me a lot of confidence on the gravel and through the ruts. The motor has plenty of torque and little throttle use is required in soft sand, it just pulls through effortlessly. The low speed handling on the dirt is so much better than the 1200. It's just planted and goes where you want, gives a very confident feel. I kept the speed down especially through the whoops and pot holes because of the front shocks but it put a big smile on the dial.

So comparisons, on the black top it is way more comfortable and better handling than the DR650, of course not as comfortable and smooth as the 1200 but much closer to the 1200 than the 650, and corners very well. On the dirt mindful I really need more km under the belt, but I would say much closer to the 650 than the 1200. In fact the seating position for me at 6'5" is better than the DR650 and I think I would be happy to take the HPM everywhere I have been on the 650, I would not say the same for the 1200.

I am yet to get the HPM weighed but to give you an idea when stationary I can lean it right over comfortably and lift it back up with ease and confidence. If I tried to lean the 1200 over like that it would just keep going and lay down. I believe it's going to do even better than fill the gap between 1200 and 650, it promises to give me the all the fun and agility of the 650 off road with 80% or so of the comfort of the 1200 for black top touring.
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #148
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,797
Came over this last night .... hmmmm now you got me thinking
hurry up and get this finished tho .. need to no what to do
thanks for the build D83

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #149
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Thanks for the offer R100LT, I look forward to getting the HPM down to the South West and riding some of those trails
Hi b0mb3r waiting is the hardest part.

Turns out the ebay KTM forks (WP50 extremes) came of of a 380exc not a 620 or 640LC4 consequently apart from needing new seals they need re springing and valving for a heavier load (....mostly the bike ). I spoke to the guys at Teknik suspension today and they say they should have them rebuilt by the end of this week. Then its back on the truck to travel across Oz to WA. Those forks will have done more mileage in the last month than the HPM!

In the interim I wasn't happy with the center stand, it had been copied from a copy fabricated from measurements and photo's, while it worked it was a mammoth task getting the bike onto and off the center stand. In the first 2 weeks when I had no side stand it was a royal PIA especially after a long ride when energy levels had been depleted and there was no easy option of a side stand! In fact my back was telling me in no uncertain terms it did not appreciate this set-up and something was going to go!

So I found a purpose built HPN C/Stand on SWT's site in Germany and it arrived 2 weeks ago. I figured by the time I had messed around getting the original C/stand right I would have spent more $ than getting a new one, and with no certainty of success.

So now I wait.....

HPM less I went for a ride in the hills on the DR, its still a good bike but I prefer the ergonomics of the HPM and definitely prefer the twin over the single mill!

waiting..waiting..Doh!
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #150
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
C stand

maybe that is an option?
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote