ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
wario OP
good bike cleaner...
 
wario's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: lower left on the mitten
Oddometer: 186
01 r1150gs thoughts

I need help from the GSpot inmates as this could be my first 2 wheel BMW purchase...

Found a 2001 1150gs with ~75k mile, well appointed and cared for, and being brokered by a very reputable dealer. Price seems in line - now, what do I look for- issue wise? Wants: smooth, reliable, comfortable single and two up riding. Pans: I don't want a maintenance queen.... Need great mile eating capabilities, city and highway.

I'm a very seasoned rider, dirt and street. Had many bikes, currently only have a oldWing, just sold my dl1k to a friend.

I'd be greatly indebted for some honest advice and direction.
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: New England
Oddometer: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
I don't want a maintenance queen.... Need great mile eating capabilities, city and highway.
You had better hope that the previous owner had the opposite attitude if you are buying a 75K mile GS.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
MIXR
Studly Adventurer
 
MIXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 663
Only the basics

Apart from all the basic stuff like service records, smoking engine, excessive or unusual noise (good luck with that one), brake smoothness, rideability etc, the only other worthwhile check is the rear wheel play at 12/6 and 3/9 positions. Any bike that rides fine can have issues about to rear their head. I doubt the dealer will allow you to drop rear drive oils, or check splines, or do any other sort of tear-down. Second hand? Good condition? Reputable dealer? You still take your chances unless you get an iron-clad warrenty period that covers all mechanical failures in the first x months or x miles. That is something we don't get here with second-hand motorcycles.

Best thing you can do is go through the existing records and confirm any major issues in the past. If the records are just book stamps on service intervals, or no records, then it had better be cheap enough to cover any realistic potential failure. Can you contact the last owner? That's always a good thing to do here, if the records identify them and the dealer is willing to put you in contact.
__________________
And so ends my 'Adventure' era (SOLD)
IBA # 39193
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Effjay
Adventurer
 
Effjay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Camarillo, CA (SoCal)
Oddometer: 66
Interesting question 'cus I purchased an '01 R1150GS with just 21k total miles less than a month ago (advertised here but I'd already seen the moto). Lately, I seem to be buying older low mileage motos rather than new, which had been my usual for the prior 40 yrs. Mine is in fine overall mechanical condition with very few minor cosmetic warts (hey, I am anal), but 75k miles on the one you are considering would deter me unless priced right and all service records provided.
__________________
Oday ouyay eakspay igpay atinlay?
2004 R1150RT - Biarritz Blue
Effjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
wario OP
good bike cleaner...
 
wario's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: lower left on the mitten
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
You had better hope that the previous owner had the opposite attitude if you are buying a 75K mile GS.
I'll ind out more today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
Apart from all the basic stuff like service records, smoking engine, excessive or unusual noise (good luck with that one), brake smoothness, rideability etc, the only other worthwhile check is the rear wheel play at 12/6 and 3/9 positions. Any bike that rides fine can have issues about to rear their head. I doubt the dealer will allow you to drop rear drive oils, or check splines, or do any other sort of tear-down. Second hand? Good condition? Reputable dealer? You still take your chances unless you get an iron-clad warrenty period that covers all mechanical failures in the first x months or x miles. That is something we don't get here with second-hand motorcycles.

Best thing you can do is go through the existing records and confirm any major issues in the past. If the records are just book stamps on service intervals, or no records, then it had better be cheap enough to cover any realistic potential failure. Can you contact the last owner? That's always a good thing to do here, if the records identify them and the dealer is willing to put you in contact.
I'm sure that I'll be be able to get at records if they re available, also access to the PO... If not, then I'm one. But like I said the dealer truly is iron clad. Do dealers offer warranties on bikes this old? I was thinking of making a run at him on this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effjay View Post
Interesting question 'cus I purchased an '01 R1150GS with just 21k total miles less than a month ago (advertised here but I'd already seen the moto). Lately, I seem to be buying older low mileage motos rather than new, which had been my usual for the prior 40 yrs. Mine is in fine overall mechanical condition with very few minor cosmetic warts (hey, I am anal), but 75k miles on the one you are considering would deter me unless priced right and all service records provided.
What would be a right price?

Thanks ya'll
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Walland,TN
Oddometer: 1,212
Some things you should ask:
1) Were the rear pivot bearings routinely serviced? If not they need to be replaced.
2) Were the brake hoses changed-when? Rubber lines degrade. I've seen a recommend replacement interval of 7 years.
3) Was the left sided cam chain tensioner upgraded?
4) Were the zip ties near the steering head loosened to keep from breaking wires in the harness?
5) Are these the stock shocks? If so you will need to replace for optimal ride.
6) Do all bars on the gas gauge appear? Simple fix-clean the electrical connector; more difficult fix-go to Hall of WISDOM
Parts that have an increased risk of failure--be nice to know if ever replaced:
1) Clutch slave cylinder/rear input seal
2) Hall effect sensor
3) Starter
4) Rear drive big bearing
5) Metal attachment of clutch line to slave cylinder-corrodes and wiil leak
Really nice accessory if available
1) Touratech hard part to prevent front forks from breaking steering stops and denting tank during a drop
Places to check for cracks
1) Lower mount of front shock where it attaches to the telelever suspension
2) Rear frame part which holds rear seat and extends as short rack-if overloaded it will crack
__________________
2004 R 1150 GS

PETDOC screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 05:56 AM
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
wario OP
good bike cleaner...
 
wario's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: lower left on the mitten
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
Some things you should ask:
1) Were the rear pivot bearings routinely serviced? If not they need to be replaced.
2) Were the brake hoses changed-when? Rubber lines degrade. I've seen a recommend replacement interval of 7 years.
3) Was the left sided cam chain tensioner upgraded?
4) Were the zip ties near the steering head loosened to keep from breaking wires in the harness?
5) Are these the stock shocks? If so you will need to replace for optimal ride.
Parts that have an increased risk of failure--be nice to know if ever replaced:
1) Clutch slave cylinder/rear input seal
2) Hall effect sensor
3) Starter
4) Rear drive big bearing
Really nice accessory if available
1) Touratech hard part to prevent front forks from breaking steering stops and denting tank during a drop
Places to check for cracks
1) Lower mount of front shock where it attaches to the telelever suspension
2) Rear frame part which holds rear seat and extends as short rack-if overloaded it will crack
Great info - I appreciate it.
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
bikes&guitars
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern US
Oddometer: 279
01 gs

PM'd you...
bikes&guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
Effjay
Adventurer
 
Effjay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Camarillo, CA (SoCal)
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
What would be a right price?
Unsure - especially purchased from a dealer. Maybe others have thoughts on that considering stated mileage. Without documented records on service aspects listed by others, I'd want to hold back $$ from "market price" (whatever that is for 11+ yrs old) towards cost of repairs. I probably paid a little too much for mine but at 22k miles now (see new pics in 1150GS thread), it seems unlikely I'll have serious mechanical issues anytime soon.
__________________
Oday ouyay eakspay igpay atinlay?
2004 R1150RT - Biarritz Blue
Effjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
Oddometer: 5,420
the original rubber brake lines are prone to failure around this year (mine did).
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
tagesk
Tuscan rider
 
tagesk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tuscany, Italy
Oddometer: 3,199


After having taken a 2000 model 170.000 km (well over 100.000 miles) I bought a 2001 model 13 month ago, It had a mere 40.000 km on it.
On the "new" one I have replaced the brake lines, the clutch pump, the output seal from the trans and the input seal in the FD. All these are "typical". For the input to the FD you need a special tool, so bring the FD to a BMW shop and they'll do it for you in minutes. The rest is simple.

We're just back from a 13.000 km trip with a lot of luggage (540 kg gross!) and have covered 40.000 km since I bought it. Fully expect it to last another 50.000 km without major repair.

Or, if you like: I would not hesitate to buy a 75K miles bike if it looks as if it has been taken care of.

[TaSK]
__________________
'02 R1150GS - Adds life
My Riding in Tuscany-thread is here.
Renting out motorbikes in Toscana, Italy
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
wario OP
good bike cleaner...
 
wario's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: lower left on the mitten
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post


After having taken a 2000 model 170.000 km (well over 100.000 miles) I bought a 2001 model 13 month ago, It had a mere 40.000 km on it.
On the "new" one I have replaced the brake lines, the clutch pump, the output seal from the trans and the input seal in the FD. All these are "typical". For the input to the FD you need a special tool, so bring the FD to a BMW shop and they'll do it for you in minutes. The rest is simple.

We're just back from a 13.000 km trip with a lot of luggage (540 kg gross!) and have covered 40.000 km since I bought it. Fully expect it to last another 50.000 km without major repair.

Or, if you like: I would not hesitate to buy a 75K miles bike if it looks as if it has been taken care of.

[TaSK]
cool... I'm finding out more about the bike, and can talk with the owner. It's been fed amsol since birth and is well fitted. Not a bad price either. I also found an 04 with less miles, less farkles, and is less money...
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
tagesk
Tuscan rider
 
tagesk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tuscany, Italy
Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
I also found an 04 with less miles, less farkles, and is less money...
The problem with the -04 is that it has a servo pump to power the brakes.
Works well, and gives awesome stopping power.

However, it is an electrical pump, and it is doomed to fail some day.
A new one costs in the order of 1500 euro.
In real terms: If it fails you will end up converting your bike into a non-ABS bike.
And who would want a non-ABS bike?

For the 1150, the 00-02 models are the best.
For er 12GS the best ones are the 08-09 models.

[TaSK]
__________________
'02 R1150GS - Adds life
My Riding in Tuscany-thread is here.
Renting out motorbikes in Toscana, Italy
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #14
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Walland,TN
Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
it is an electrical pump, and it is doomed to fail some day.
A new one costs in the order of 1500 euro.
In real terms: If it fails you will end up converting your bike into a non-ABS bike.
[TaSK]
Your comment about awesome stopping power is almost an understatement. I've put 48,000 miles on my '04 and it has the most incredible brakes I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. Regarding failure of the ABS unit, there is a place in Idaho (http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php) that now repairs them for about $350 and gives a 5 year guarantee. You can search GSpot for some recent threads on repaired units.
__________________
2004 R 1150 GS
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
tjt94
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Hell Centro, CA (8 miles to Mexico)
Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
Your comment about awesome stopping power is almost an understatement. I've put 48,000 miles on my '04 and it has the most incredible brakes I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. Regarding failure of the ABS unit, there is a place in Idaho (http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php) that now repairs them for about $350 and gives a 5 year guarantee. You can search GSpot for some recent threads on repaired units.
Here is my endorsement of Module Master. I have an '01 1150GS. The diagnosis of my ABS problem was the pump was shot and BMW wanted to get one for me for $2200 and charge me $300 to replace. I pulled my own pump, mailed it to Module Master and they repaired it for $250 and gave me the warranty.

They type of failure I had was not typical, it was a circuit board related issue. I live where the summer temps are also above 110 degrees (45 C) and it pushed the life of the electronics beyond their limit. Since the repair I have put almost 10K on the bike without any issue. This included a 7400 mile trip through Mexico into Honduras and back. The ABS worked flawlessly and continues to keep me in happy camper mode.

Other than the ABS issue, I have not experienced any problems whatsoever with my '01. It has 59K on it and will likely see 159K someday.

Incidentally, 01's do not have the problematic servo ABS units. They have ABS-II. They are not without issues but all of these mechanical pumps have a service life and it seems that the ABS-II unit life is somewhere around 15 years give or take a few.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014