Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #136
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Browneye, on similar size and weight bikes I like the Dunlop 952 front and the E09 Mitas rear as an all purpose set of tyres. If there's a lot of highway work between dirt rides they cope well at high pressures on the tar.

For pure dirt work on a 650 I use the 952 front and the Mitas C02 rear. Known as the StoneKing, the C02 was originally a MotoX tyre. It works best when you are spinning it. If you don't think and ride like a motoX'er it probably isn't the tyre to use.

The C02 is a tough tyre. If you trim it occasionally with a tyre knife (they'll square of badly with tar work, and get funky) it'll last a good 6000kms and still deliver better hook up in the dirt than most dual sport "knobbies". They are funky on the tar in the wet, and at normal pressures the tread squirm makes it feel like you are riding on flat tyres. You get used to it.

One of the Aust dirt bike mags rated the C02 as the only tyre on the market that you could fit, ride from Sydney to the Finke desert race (half way across the country), race, then ride home. They really are that tough. But they take some getting used to.

Plus you may not find them in the US. I don't know what it is with the US market, but Mitas is the largest motorcycle tyre manufacturer in Europe from memory. Here in Oz they are legendary for taking punishment compared to the other "usual" brands.

Cheap too.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #137
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Browneye, on similar size and weight bikes I like the Dunlop 952 front and the E09 Mitas rear as an all purpose set of tyres. If there's a lot of highway work between dirt rides they cope well at high pressures on the tar.

For pure dirt work on a 650 I use the 952 front and the Mitas C02 rear. Known as the StoneKing, the C02 was originally a MotoX tyre. It works best when you are spinning it. If you don't think and ride like a motoX'er it probably isn't the tyre to use.

The C02 is a tough tyre. If you trim it occasionally with a tyre knife (they'll square of badly with tar work, and get funky) it'll last a good 6000kms and still deliver better hook up in the dirt than most dual sport "knobbies". They are funky on the tar in the wet, and at normal pressures the tread squirm makes it feel like you are riding on flat tyres. You get used to it.

One of the Aust dirt bike mags rated the C02 as the only tyre on the market that you could fit, ride from Sydney to the Finke desert race (half way across the country), race, then ride home. They really are that tough. But they take some getting used to.

Plus you may not find them in the US. I don't know what it is with the US market, but Mitas is the largest motorcycle tyre manufacturer in Europe from memory. Here in Oz they are legendary for taking punishment compared to the other "usual" brands.

Cheap too.

Yeah, yeah...tell me about a tire I can't get here in the states. I would have a EO9 on there as we speak.

EDIT: Hey - there's two of ya on the Mitas. We can't get them here!
Well, I guess I could call Canada and see what it costs to get one shipped here, or if they even have them.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #138
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Cheer up. The C02 is one of the most bastard tyres I've ever spooned on. I don't know why. It just doesn't like it.

It's the only tyre I've ever changed that I've pinched the tube doing it.

2 tubes in 4 years and around 50 tyre changes. Shameful.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #139
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
If you think TKC is a poor performer off pavement and don't like karoo with T I suggest this tire.

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

140 80 17 karoo without T.

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

and in the front karoo 2 also without T (this one can go the distance of two tires in the rear)

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #140
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 920
Front Scorpion Rally mounted.

Only a couple hundred km's so far.

Using a Mitas E-09 in the back.

So far for the front compared the the TKC I've notced:
-tracks better in the loose stuff
-I like the rounder profile better, TKC's are kinda "square"
-much stiffer casing
-noisier of course on the hwy
-much better braking in the dirt/gravel

It's only just begun...

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #141
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post

-much stiffer casing

It's only just begun...

Dave
Lookin pretty Nice!!!

Ryan
Old 06-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #142
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

You'll find in gravel and gritty loose stuff the E09 brakes and drives really well.

Where it turns to crap is wet red clay. It drives and brakes well which inspires overconfidence, but over cook one turn just slightly and the bike is out from under you and you are watching it disappear off the side of the trail before you can say "whatthefuckjusthappened".

Because the lugs on the rear are arranged in bar pattern there's very little resistance to side slip. It gets worse as they wear.

Still a good tyre, you just modify the riding style to suit. Drive harder into a turn, brake harder, drive harder out. All straight line stop and go, if you get what I mean.

I ran the Dunlop D952 on the front with the E09 rear and it worked really well on the sort of gravel your pic has. It also has a similar tread to the Rally Tyre you have on there. I've found the D952 to be an almost bullet proof front for the mountains here, and notice a lot of other guys on bigger dual sports have come to the same conclusion.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #143
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Lookin pretty Nice!!!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!

Hey Snowy,

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured when I looked at the tire.

Thankfully no wet red clay here! Some mud in doubletrack and singletrack...I'll have to be a little more aware of my lines.

I really wanted it for the drive on steep loose stuff and going over tough obstacles. That is where it shines so far. Square up the corners...gotcha!

Love the feel of the Rally so far. The casing is much more reassuring hitting the rocks and such. Starting to feel better in the gravel turns as it's breaking in. It sure does sing on the highway!!

That 952 has a lot of space down the middle. It must be loud/rough on the road?

There are still no perfect tires?

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #144
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecce View Post
If you think TKC is a poor performer off pavement and don't like karoo with T I suggest this tire.

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

140 80 17 karoo without T.

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

and in the front karoo 2 also without T (this one can go the distance of two tires in the rear)

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch
ecce,

Sounds like you're liking the front Karoo 2. Road manners are good enough? Lasts OK? Doesn't ramp too badly and is OK noise wise?

How about off-road? Gravel, deep gravel, sharp rocks, mud, roots etc.? All better than the TKC? Stiffer casing I imagine too.

Thanks!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #145
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,907
I have a spare Karoo 2 for the front, thought I would try it when the Scorpion Rally is spent. It's definitely more road-oriented than the rally, with closer spaced and shorter knobs. The Karoo(T) that came on the bike was so bad offroad I pulled it off after just 200 miles. I'm skeptical about the regular Karoo front. OTOH, the rally has been just fantastic. It has about 2500 miles on it with maybe another thousand to go. Starting to 'ramp' a bit, so it may come off before it's fully worn down. They do firm up with a few hundred miles on them and will rail the corners, both on and off pavement.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #146
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post

-much stiffer casing

It's only just begun...

Dave
Nice bike, nice tires, hope there is a nice man under that helmet

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #147
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Nice bike, nice tires, hope there is a nice man under that helmet
Pssst...Dude...I think he's hitting on you....

Quote:
That 952 has a lot of space down the middle. It must be loud/rough on the road?
Oh yeah. Every heard a Jeep with those WW2 bar tread tyres coming down the highway flat out? Like that.

When you hit the brakes for a big stop the noise gets louder and slows down in frequency.

Sounds like an old Army truck pulling up. But they hook up well. Doing some big descents on them and then changing back to the E07s and riding the same trails was scary. It's like you expect a level of traction and braking and it just isn't there with the E07. The Heidenaus were the same. Just not enough traction on the descents. I find with a pillion, I tend to going a lot slower going down trails than coming up them. Momentum works for you going up with a load, it doesn't work for you going down.

The Rally front looks good. Not real sure about that rear though. Even in sand it doesn't have a deep enough lug to drive, too few slots to give side ways resistance, too large a surface for sandy gritty hard based tracks.

Based on a scan by the L1A1 (mark 2 - version 4) eyeball. I'd say they don't look much good for anything in particular. But there's less useful tyres out there for sure.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #148
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,300
16000km on a pair of Rally's...

front:

rear:

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #149
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
16000 km that's amazing . What kind of km’s are you getting with other tires ie, TKC 80, Tourance or Anakee?

BordenBmw screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 07:38 AM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #150
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
rear:

Gees, I don't know....is that rear still legal? Those South Oz coppers see that they'll yell "Outlaw" and taser you until you stop kickin.

Are the Police task force boys still wearing their 99%er patches? The dicks. Makes me ashamed to have been born a South Orstrayun.

On a tyre note, what do you think of the Rallye on the red dirt? Hook up and brake ok? What about side slip? Let go easy or controlled?