ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Not doubting you man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVELKNIEVEL View Post
no spray paint here bra
The Dirt Tricks/Shane Watts KTM Rear Brake Rotor

The Dirt Tricks/Shane Watts brake rotors are the ultimate combination of durability, wear resistance and stopping power. They are incredibly strong and will resist bending unlike anything else on the market today. They are Black Zinc plated to prevent rusting. We currently have them available for KTM's with more on the way. (magnet hole cut out has been included). These rotors have been developed and tested for nearly one year by engineers with the assistance and test riding/racing of Shane. Every rotor includes a 1 YEAR WEAR GUARANTEE! Like the Ironman Sprocket, if you want the toughest race products, choose what professionals race.
  • 2-3 times higher tensile strength than OEM rotors, resulting in much higher resistance to bending and wear.
  • Made of heat treated alloy steel, providing higher stopping friction, therefore 25% less braking effort.
  • Three times the cooling rate of stainless steel rotors. If they cool three times faster they run cooler all the time.

I haven't see a coating on a brake rotor before that holds up, and for it to be black and displaces heat more efficiently just sounds too good to be true. Cool!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #2027
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
I haven't see a coating on a brake rotor before that holds up, and for it to be black and displaces heat more efficiently just sounds too good to be true. Cool!

They are not black after your first ride.... I think it a anti rust coating while they are not in use. I have a front and rear and where the pad touches is not black anymore. They work and look great too and the iron man sprocket is the shit.
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #2028
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I am afraid 1000 miles for n=1 is not exactly empirical proof for its long term ruggedness.

I have one that's a couple of years old and it has almost 2" of side to side play at the end of the stand. Going to have to open up that mechanism and see what's worn out, and then maybe replace the plastic cover plate with steel as somebody on here has one.
The whole lower mount is broken on my 525 (on the bike frame where the chain glide goes) and has been since the original stand failed. I decided to put the PMB unit on anyway. Only the upper bolt (yes the little 5mm hex cap) has been holding it on for some 10,000 kms now and it hasn't failed. I will have to take a look inside and see if that c-clip that SteveO talks about is showing signs of impending failure. I really should weld that lower mount back on too. I used the included PMB bolt to attach it to the stand so I didn't lose it in a parts bin somewhere in my garage and it has been there the whole time.
As far as "sidestands" go, the PMB unit is the only choice for KTM EXCs IMO.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #2029
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,722
Add a couple more cents

I have always pulled the "rocker" shafts and then lift out the rockers to replace shims. Way easier than removing the cam (per KTM), especially if you only have to adjust on side or even one valve. Make sure you put the rocker shafts back in with the imple at 12 oclock.

I can replace shims in about 1/2 hour complete...

If you dont know, Harley Davison is a good source for shims and are much cheaper than stocks (only they to go as thick at KTM).

PMB kick stand is awesome. I see a lot of folks using the kickstand to hold the bike while standing on it and kickstarting... lost of pressure there...

Hey you Florida guys... we have five "5-Hunnys" up here in the Panhandle area.. come up and ride with us...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #2030
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
They are not black after your first ride.... I think it a anti rust coating while they are not in use. I have a front and rear and where the pad touches is not black anymore. They work and look great too and the iron man sprocket is the shit.
your right im going riding this weekend ..so i put my foot on brake and gave the rear tire around 10 spins
and it burns right off the only reason i bought these was because they were black ohh well i guess there half black
on there web site they should show discs with the black worn off
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #2031
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,532
From the Dirt Tricks website;

"Rotors plated in black Zinc which must be burned off prior to serious use. This is performed by dragging your brakes until no black is visible at pad contact location."
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #2032
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Hey Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVELKNIEVEL View Post
your right im going riding this weekend ..so i put my foot on brake and gave the rear tire around 10 spins
and it burns right off the only reason i bought these was because they were black ohh well i guess there half black
on there web site they should show discs with the black worn off
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
From the Dirt Tricks website;

"Rotors plated in black Zinc which must be burned off prior to serious use. This is performed by dragging your brakes until no black is visible at pad contact location."
If thisis all the case why the "tude" above since you didnt know either. I was asking because I was interested in the color only. I wasnt questioning the strength or anything else.

Rotor wise ther is ntohgin wrong with the factory provided you eliminate the factory semi-metalic pads. In all my years ridign dirt bike I have never had heat issues on the rotors. The coating would have been the only benifit that is whyI was asking but it end up just beign a presales storage thing not functional.

No worries its all good

Safe joureys
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #2033
kmartin760
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500excguy View Post
I live in British Columbia. I tried to get the parts from an XCW and was told that they were not bolts that I could order! Also, the only stuff that came in my PDI package was a different bolt for the kickstand so that it doesn't try to fold up all the time, and a couple of 6mm bolts.

... snip ...

Paul

Anyone know what the 6mm bolts are intended for? Just general purpose spares?
kmartin760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #2034
kmartin760
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The new design can be accidentally loosened with your boot. The guys around here just trim the ears back and use pliers (or their KTM supplied beer cap opener) to remove it. End of problem.

I keep my beer cap opener / 13mm wrench in my tool pouch. No telling when you might encounter a beer running wild out there in the woods.

Stu
I was shocked and disappointed to find the '13s dont come with the opener. I always considered that a halmark of KTM.
kmartin760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #2035
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin760 View Post
I was shocked and disappointed to find the '13s dont come with the opener. I always considered that a halmark of KTM.
No beer opener in the '13's?!? I can understand KTM cutting back on manuals and such but to leave out the beer opener is simply inexcusable. As most of us proclaim, "Holy Crap!" or in Biblical, "Jesus Christ, KTM!"

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #2036
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
verification of lack of beer can opener

When I picked up my 2013 500 EXC the manual had not yet been printed. got it 2 weeks later. Tool kit does have a 13 mm combo open end and closed end wrench. One nit pick: have managed to lose 2 of the new spark arrestor screen/nut combos in under 400 miles, the second one disappeared despite blue loctite, so not sure what to do other than removing, re-applying loctite and reinstalling before each ride. Perhaps red (271) loctite? in any case its about 30 bucks to replace the parts, and our Forest Service guys out here in WA are pretty thorough if they pull you over.
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #2037
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentative_rider View Post
When I picked up my 2013 500 EXC the manual had not yet been printed. got it 2 weeks later. Tool kit does have a 13 mm combo open end and closed end wrench. One nit pick: have managed to lose 2 of the new spark arrestor screen/nut combos in under 400 miles, the second one disappeared despite blue loctite, so not sure what to do other than removing, re-applying loctite and reinstalling before each ride. Perhaps red (271) loctite? in any case its about 30 bucks to replace the parts, and our Forest Service guys out here in WA are pretty thorough if they pull you over.
Drill a little hole in can and safety wire it on.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #2038
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentative_rider View Post
The screen on the end of the pipe has nothing to do with the spark arresting capibilities of the pipe.

That screen is there to cut down on sound.

WRONG!! - The stock ktm mufler uses a Krizman type turbine spark arrestor.

WRONG!! - Look at the side of the muffler that's inside the rear wheel well.

guns_equal_freedom screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 09:36 PM
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #2039
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,966
Simple and effective solution:

Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #2040
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
thanks, will wire this weekend. I had sort of thought about doing that, I take it you also ran the wire thru the screen since it is a 2 piece affair.
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote