ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #8806
KennyV
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Republic of Floyd, Va
Oddometer: 49
Front fender extender?

Has anyone here added the black plastic front fender extender to an 05 / 06 year model Dakar? Iíve been looking through this thread for pictures but no luck. Any help much appreciated!
Thanks, Kenny.
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #8807
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
Has anyone here added the black plastic front fender extender to an 05 / 06 year model Dakar? Iíve been looking through this thread for pictures but no luck. Any help much appreciated!
Thanks, Kenny.
This one?

__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #8808
KennyV
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Republic of Floyd, Va
Oddometer: 49
I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. Iím interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender. When Iím riding in rain, the front tires throws in line of water out front and it blows back. Not a big deal on the road, but when off road in rain I get a mud / dirt line down the front of my face shield.
Thanks, Kenny.
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #8809
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
Has anyone here added the black plastic front fender extender to an 05 / 06 year model Dakar? I’ve been looking through this thread for pictures but no luck. Any help much appreciated!
Thanks, Kenny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. I’m interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender. When I’m riding in rain, the front tires throws in line of water out front and it blows back. Not a big deal on the road, but when off road in rain I get a mud / dirt line down the front of my face shield.
Thanks, Kenny.


The extension on the front is one of the things that separate the Dakar from the regular GS. If yours don't have it you either
  • lost it
  • have a regular GS front fender
  • have a regular GS bike
BUT having said that it doesn't really matter since the extension doesn't keep water from spraying up and over anyway. Solved it with another front fender (Acerbis universal motocross fender)

.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #8810
KennyV
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Republic of Floyd, Va
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post




The extension on the front is one of the things that separate the Dakar from the regular GS. If yours don't have it you either
  • lost it
  • have a regular GS front fender
  • have a regular GS bike
BUT having said that it doesn't really matter since the extension doesn't keep water from spraying up and over anyway. Solved it with another front fender (Acerbis universal motocross fender)

.
This is mine. I bought this bike new in 06 and havenít done anything to the front fender. It looks the same as others Iíve seen?????
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #8811
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. I’m interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender. When I’m riding in rain, the front tires throws in line of water out front and it blows back. Not a big deal on the road, but when off road in rain I get a mud / dirt line down the front of my face shield.
Thanks, Kenny.
The Dakars don't come with the low fender, only the standard F650GS. I added the Touratech fender, very effective at reducing wheel spray.

__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #8812
nomad5326
Xventurous
 
nomad5326's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego, Ca
Oddometer: 300
I don't think the late model Dakars had a actual black beak extension that the earlier model and twin series had. Its kinda funny cause we love them, its a great branding idea from BMW actually. But I've never seen one on a later Dakar (pre Sertao). I think the question now is : does the later or current beak extension fit on the mid year model?
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #8813
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer
 
Don Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Southwestern Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. I’m interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender.
Maybe you're thinking of the single spark GSs which have a black edge around the front and sides on the stock feder?



I hadn't noticed if these are only on the Dakar model, but most serious gelšnde riders here seem to find it inadequate.
__________________
'06 F650GS Dakar
The biggest lies are concealed by a great number of petty truths.

Don Coyote screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 08:58 AM Reason: took too long to track down pics
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #8814
KennyV
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Republic of Floyd, Va
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The Dakars don't come with the low fender, only the standard F650GS. I added the Touratech fender, very effective at reducing wheel spray.

I like that, may have to go with! Like the fork sheilds and crash bars too! Hey, thanks for the help.

This is what I have. I looked for this at different after market sites and local dealers and couldnít find one. People told me they had seen them, but didnít know where they came from. A friend that lives in Germany and owns an independent bike shop asked a friend of his who is a long time BMW technician if he knew where to find one. No problem he said, just needed the year model and serial#. As it turned out, this is a BMW accessory part, at least in Germany. Before I mount this I was hope to see and talk with someone that has one. It certainly looks like will eliminate or at least greatly reduce the amount of mud / dirt that blows back.
Thanks again, Kenny.


KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #8815
BMacW650
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 742
Pivot pin for brake lever

Is there any trick to get that damn pin out?
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #8816
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer
 
Don Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Southwestern Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
This is what I have. I looked for this at different after market sites and local dealers and couldnít find one. People told me they had seen them, but didnít know where they came from. A friend that lives in Germany and owns an independent bike shop asked a friend of his who is a long time BMW technician if he knew where to find one. No problem he said, just needed the year model and serial#. As it turned out, this is a BMW accessory part, at least in Germany. Before I mount this I was hope to see and talk with someone that has one. It certainly looks like will eliminate or at least greatly reduce the amount of mud / dirt that blows back.
I looked at the MaxBMW fiche and the one for the dual spark Dakar shows the extension in the picture, but no corresponding part number for order. The single sparks use the same diagram and have the extension available for $40, so it would seem to be available here also. The main beak is the same in both pictures, but the twinsparks don't actually have the mounting hole and cost $6 more (for the 'metalic' paint?). It looks like from your picture it should mount up after you drill the holes, eh?
__________________
'06 F650GS Dakar
The biggest lies are concealed by a great number of petty truths.
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #8817
rmarkr
Squatter
 
rmarkr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Lowcountry
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Is there any trick to get that damn pin out?
A bigger hammer!

Which brake lever?
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #8818
BMacW650
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
A bigger hammer!

Which brake lever?
front brake, the lever on the right operated by hand.

I was able to loosen the nut on the bottom, but I can't get it off completely.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #8819
rmarkr
Squatter
 
rmarkr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Lowcountry
Oddometer: 391
Lever

It's probably be threaded into the housing, the nut is a lock nut. No screw slot or hex head or socket?
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #8820
BMacW650
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
It's probably be threaded into the housing, the nut is a lock nut. No screw slot or hex head or socket?
It's really weird.

On the top is the flat head screw. I can use it to 'drill' down or pull out the pin, and it moves the nut at the bottom. but I was have very little luck get the nut to come off the pin after certain point.

It just keeps on spinning....
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014