User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #8806
KennyV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Front fender extender?

Has anyone here added the black plastic front fender extender to an 05 / 06 year model Dakar? Iíve been looking through this thread for pictures but no luck. Any help much appreciated!
Thanks, Kenny.
KennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #8807
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
Has anyone here added the black plastic front fender extender to an 05 / 06 year model Dakar? Iíve been looking through this thread for pictures but no luck. Any help much appreciated!
Thanks, Kenny.
This one?

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #8808
KennyV
Adventurer

I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. Iím interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender. When Iím riding in rain, the front tires throws in line of water out front and it blows back. Not a big deal on the road, but when off road in rain I get a mud / dirt line down the front of my face shield.
Thanks, Kenny.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #8809
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Has anyone here added the black plastic front fender extender to an 05 / 06 year model Dakar? I’ve been looking through this thread for pictures but no luck. Any help much appreciated!
Thanks, Kenny.
Quote:
I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. I’m interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender. When I’m riding in rain, the front tires throws in line of water out front and it blows back. Not a big deal on the road, but when off road in rain I get a mud / dirt line down the front of my face shield.
Thanks, Kenny.

The extension on the front is one of the things that separate the Dakar from the regular GS. If yours don't have it you either
  • lost it
  • have a regular GS front fender
  • have a regular GS bike
BUT having said that it doesn't really matter since the extension doesn't keep water from spraying up and over anyway. Solved it with another front fender (Acerbis universal motocross fender)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #8810
KennyV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post

The extension on the front is one of the things that separate the Dakar from the regular GS. If yours don't have it you either
  • lost it
  • have a regular GS front fender
  • have a regular GS bike
BUT having said that it doesn't really matter since the extension doesn't keep water from spraying up and over anyway. Solved it with another front fender (Acerbis universal motocross fender)

This is mine. I bought this bike new in 06 and havenít done anything to the front fender. It looks the same as others Iíve seen?????
Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #8811
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. I’m interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender. When I’m riding in rain, the front tires throws in line of water out front and it blows back. Not a big deal on the road, but when off road in rain I get a mud / dirt line down the front of my face shield.
Thanks, Kenny.
The Dakars don't come with the low fender, only the standard F650GS. I added the Touratech fender, very effective at reducing wheel spray.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #8812
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
I don't think the late model Dakars had a actual black beak extension that the earlier model and twin series had. Its kinda funny cause we love them, its a great branding idea from BMW actually. But I've never seen one on a later Dakar (pre Sertao). I think the question now is : does the later or current beak extension fit on the mid year model?
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #8813
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
I have the one on the bottom that came on the bike. I’m interested in the piece that mounts to the front of the front fender.
Maybe you're thinking of the single spark GSs which have a black edge around the front and sides on the stock feder?

I hadn't noticed if these are only on the Dakar model, but most serious gelšnde riders here seem to find it inadequate.

Don Coyote screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 08:58 AM Reason: took too long to track down pics
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #8814
KennyV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The Dakars don't come with the low fender, only the standard F650GS. I added the Touratech fender, very effective at reducing wheel spray.

I like that, may have to go with! Like the fork sheilds and crash bars too! Hey, thanks for the help.

This is what I have. I looked for this at different after market sites and local dealers and couldnít find one. People told me they had seen them, but didnít know where they came from. A friend that lives in Germany and owns an independent bike shop asked a friend of his who is a long time BMW technician if he knew where to find one. No problem he said, just needed the year model and serial#. As it turned out, this is a BMW accessory part, at least in Germany. Before I mount this I was hope to see and talk with someone that has one. It certainly looks like will eliminate or at least greatly reduce the amount of mud / dirt that blows back.
Thanks again, Kenny.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #8815
BMacW650

Oddometer: 742
Pivot pin for brake lever

Is there any trick to get that damn pin out?
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #8816
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
This is what I have. I looked for this at different after market sites and local dealers and couldnít find one. People told me they had seen them, but didnít know where they came from. A friend that lives in Germany and owns an independent bike shop asked a friend of his who is a long time BMW technician if he knew where to find one. No problem he said, just needed the year model and serial#. As it turned out, this is a BMW accessory part, at least in Germany. Before I mount this I was hope to see and talk with someone that has one. It certainly looks like will eliminate or at least greatly reduce the amount of mud / dirt that blows back.
I looked at the MaxBMW fiche and the one for the dual spark Dakar shows the extension in the picture, but no corresponding part number for order. The single sparks use the same diagram and have the extension available for $40, so it would seem to be available here also. The main beak is the same in both pictures, but the twinsparks don't actually have the mounting hole and cost $6 more (for the 'metalic' paint?). It looks like from your picture it should mount up after you drill the holes, eh?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #8817
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Is there any trick to get that damn pin out?
A bigger hammer!

Which brake lever?
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #8818
BMacW650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
A bigger hammer!

Which brake lever?
front brake, the lever on the right operated by hand.

I was able to loosen the nut on the bottom, but I can't get it off completely.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #8819
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 391
Lever

It's probably be threaded into the housing, the nut is a lock nut. No screw slot or hex head or socket?
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #8820
BMacW650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
It's probably be threaded into the housing, the nut is a lock nut. No screw slot or hex head or socket?
It's really weird.

On the top is the flat head screw. I can use it to 'drill' down or pull out the pin, and it moves the nut at the bottom. but I was have very little luck get the nut to come off the pin after certain point.

It just keeps on spinning....