Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #5221
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 825
[QUOTE=DR. Rock;19211847]

Where we ate lunch,

M3-2009:

M9- 2012:

Same light blue/white Ford pickup in both shots. Must be the cook.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #5222
Slug.go
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Caught up!

Read entire thread since Wednesday, I'm caught up, please continue!
Slug.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #5223
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
the wind blows one of the chairs over, and/or dave's tent fly comes down... he gets up and starts dealing with all that.

We're in our tent, and see light flashing, hear the wind howling, and think.. oh shit, did the fire spark up??? did the rancher come back???

A cliffhanger, really????? What happened?
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #5224
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Eek +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #5225
el' hefe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Not a cliff hanger

Dr. Rock was referring to Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
the wind blows one of the chairs over, and/or dave's tent fly comes down... he gets up and starts dealing with all that.

We're in our tent, and see light flashing, hear the wind howling, and think.. oh shit, did the fire spark up??? did the rancher come back???

What great report! Thanks for all the work you have put into it over all of these years!
el' hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #5226
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Nah, not a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
It was just the wind, and Albertastrom stumbling about with his flashlight. We'd been pretty rattled, though.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #5227
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 11, Tuesday May 22, 2012

We woke up in a rather rebellious mood. Just wanted to make sure the fire wouldn't spark up and cause any trouble...

Today we'd continue across the deep abyss of the Great Basin. The range-valley-repeat sequence would be the order for the day. It was a day of thrills and chills, adversity met, and contingencies implemented. It was the kind of day that adventures are made of.

We saddled up, and dove in, (for the record, I have a vast collection of really great mixed metaphors)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #5228
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

With the day's ride

stretched out before us,

we turned our focus to the next objective, Diamond valley:

I'd scouted out the most direct route across, but that proved to be barely visible at ground level. We ended up taking a little longer detour around Garcia Flat. Looking back towards Union Summit;

It wasn't like out go-around was any kind of superhighway,

Once we got down on the valley floor, you could really appreciate how big it was... we're at the north end of the valley, looking south, the mountains in the distance are 50 miles away.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #5229
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Silt

Fesh fesh, call it what you like. It certainly keeps things interesting.

Once across the first valley, we entered a canyon over Railroad pass.

this section was nicely graded. If I had to guess, there was once a railroad here. DAMHIK.

Cool rock formations, though.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #5230
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We'd soon be

picking up the Pony Express trail. To do so, we'd be following the next valley south to intercept it.

This was the only time in the two weeks that the new Garmin Montana hiccupped. The next waypoint was actually NOT 4277 miles away.

There are all kinds of historic trails criss-crossing this area. Besides the Pony Express trail, we crossed the Elko-Hamilton Stage coach route while we were on the Hastings Cutoff.

Imagine this in a covered wagon:

It didn't seem to be giving LDF any trouble,

Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #5231
7thson
where's the horizon?

Oddometer: 11
[QUOTE=DR. Rock;19268864]We woke up in a rather rebellious mood. Just wanted to make sure the fire wouldn't spark up and cause any trouble...

Today we'd continue across the deep abyss of the Great Basin. The range-valley-repeat sequence would be the order for the day. It was a day of thrills and chills, adversity met, and contingencies implemented. It was the kind of day that adventures are made of.

"adversity met, and contingencies implemented." THIS is the Mobius!!
7thson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #5232
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'm not sure

how appropriate it is for this to be an auto-tour. I wouldn't want to take a passenger car here.

we felt like real pioneers.

Finally, at Big Wash, we joined up with the Pony Express route.

Next: Overland pass... it was an excellent one - no rocks - not very steep, and the road very firm. Right on the summit is a spring of only tolerable water.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #5233
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Indeed, the road was firm

Coming down over the pass, we spied our next set of landmarks, The Ruby Lake Wildlife refuge, and Station Butte (6319ft.) both of which we'd be clipping to the south.

What a beautiful day! To our north was the Ruby marsh,

but we were heading for the hills on the other side of the valley,

Looking back across the marsh, there's still snow in that range, the peaks are above 10,000ft.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #5234
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We crossed over the next range

on Overland road, which was pretty cool,

then got spit out of Murry canyon into Long Valley at its northern end.

The road signs are far and few between, and kind of randomly placed.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #5235
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Butte valley

was a bit sandy,

and washed out,

but the next range over Cherry Creek summit (7201ft) was pretty awesome.

mostly because of the spaceships to our north.