Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #196
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
I love this thread.......
I've been planning a trip like this for while........
BUT after reading this, who cares about the planning and just worry about where to store the trip goodies!
Will be doing it on my beloved R1!
Thanks for the inspiration and helping me move along to get this facking thing started!

By the way, GREAT WRITE UP!
Awesome. Do it--you won't regret it. And check out Kriega packs. I wish I'd gotten a larger one for my tail.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #197
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4U View Post
This is so fucking amazing to read about your travels AntiHero! It feels like a rebirth of sorts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! Im so glad to know I am not the only nut touring regularly on a super sport bike! Heading out in two weeks to Pikes Peak with a buddy for a two week trip through Utah and Colorado. I'm doing long trips every year on my 1198S and its no problem. After 2-3 days the sharp pain makes room for a general numbness of the joints and then its a piece of cake
Keep the good stuff coming, I can't wait for the next round.
Every year? Shit, man, you're a masochist! I hear you about the numbness....pain turns to dull ache and you just get on with it. I wish I could have stuck around for Pikes....which means I'll probably be doing it next year. :)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #198
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm still trying to work out a happiness index of the cities I've been through....I've narrowed it down to being very activity based. More on that (hopefully) to come.

The most valuable lesson I've extracted from this trip so far involves experiencing an idea I've known--but was a bit suspicious of (sorry Joseph Campbell!)--all along. Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive. And when we pursue the activities that make us truly feel alive, we discover the places and people and things we always had wished existed--people and places and things that have always been there--waiting patiently for our arrival.

AntiHero screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 12:58 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #199
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Amazing RR! Like your mentality to change what wasn't working for you and take on adventure of a lifetime. Be safe and keep taking us along for the ride.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #200
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bruising from the impact of the bird is starting to show now:

Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #201
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
That bike gives me wood.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #202
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I am so sorry for missing the opportunity to tell you......

GO TO "THE KEG"
Manitou Springs......the little town at the bottom of Pikes Peak.
Best Buffalo Burgers I've ever had!

Dude, you are like my new HERO.
Been keeping up with this thread more than I usually keep up with world news!
If you happen to head to boring florida, let me know and I will try and give you a little advice.....on what to miss.
If you head to the north end, go to JenningsGP and put that Italian model on the track!
If you make it to Tampa FL, Let me know, I don't have much to offer what so ever, but a couch and some info on the local hang outs.

rico2072 screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 02:04 PM
rico2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #203
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

The most valuable lesson I've extracted from this trip so far involves experiencing an idea I've known--but was a bit suspicious of (sorry Joseph Campbell!)--all along. Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive. And when we pursue the activities that make us truly feel alive, we discover the places and people and things we always had wished existed--people and places and things that have always been there--waiting patiently for our arrival.
Awesome words......
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #204
Jewiss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Wicked

Absolutely amazing story! Thanks for sharing it!

My dad passed away in '04 from a brain tumor. Although he wasn't much for motorcycles (or any motorized vehicles for that matter!) he was an ultra marathon runner and triathlete. No Ironman's like yourself as running was more his gig but he usually put a couple of olympic length ones away a year. Bike riding was more of a means of transport, but an enjoyable one.
He put almost 60k miles on his feet in 20 years so we'll call him an ADVrunner.

He would have loved this RR!
Thanks again, keep it coming!
Jewiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #205
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I've always wanted to do Death Valley on motorbike....been there in my FJ, ran miles there in my Asics and put in some time on my mountain bike, but never on a motorcycle. Badlands came close.

Badwater?

PS: Subscribed
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #206
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Always wanted to do Death Valley on a motorbike....Badwater--I did 6 miles in Badwater a week before the race, which gave me enough of a taste of it to know that my insanity does have limits. What I meant was doing Badlands on the 1199 gave me a taste of what it would be like to do DV on a bike....
Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #207
Motojon76
Dirty side down

Oddometer: 47
I was wondering if you were going to mention anything about your foot. You Okay?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #208
travelintoNY
Globe Trekker

Oddometer: 81
Antihero!!!

You sir, are my fucking hero!
Keep on rocking.

This trip reminds me of my trip this past may. I decided to fly down to TX (from NY) and buy 2012 GSA and hit the road. 7500 miles in less than a month, all over West Coast (mostly national parks) Good times.

I currently am in Afghanistan but will be home in a week or so... if you find yourself around Niagara Falls area, hit me up and I'll buy you a beer. Sorry, can't offer a place to stay as I myself am homeless at the moment.

Love your narrative and pictures

Thanks for sharing your trip

Tony

2007 Triumph Rocket III, 2012 BMW 1200 GSA Triple Black
travelintoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #209
daveknievel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
You mentioned you were heading to motogp? Indy i would presume. If you make it, i will keep my eye out for you. Would like to meet someone as hardcore as you. My friends and i will be on supermotos. 2 ktm 690's and a black DRZ 400. If you see us before we see you, come up and say hi. Keep up the great RR!
daveknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #210
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojon76 View Post
I was wondering if you were going to mention anything about your foot. You Okay?
Foot is ok now. Still sore when I press on it, but I'm not limping anymore and I can shift without it hurting. Suicidal birds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveknievel View Post
You mentioned you were heading to motogp? Indy i would presume. If you make it, i will keep my eye out for you. Would like to meet someone as hardcore as you. My friends and i will be on supermotos. 2 ktm 690's and a black DRZ 400. If you see us before we see you, come up and say hi. Keep up the great RR!
Indy indeed! If we miss each other, keep an eye open for the Panigale S wearing California plates on Ducati Island..... ;)