Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
fuggy OP
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
PS, wonder why you turned back on Hermosa Trail? The trail goes all the way through to Hermosa Park and comes out at Purgatory Ski Area, have done it several times on various bikes, last time was solo on an XR500. Perhaps it was the pavement getting back to Durango?
We did an out-and-back on Hermosa. We'd much rather ride the trail backwards than loop around on the highway or past the crowded resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagel View Post
They allow moto bikes on the downhill trails?
It depends on the trail. The specific DH trail we rode up and down was 'pirate' trail built by the locals who practice their gravity defying skills on specific DH bicycles. Many trails in this area are shared by both motos and bikes, which is totally cool in my opinion. I wish my home state of AZ did a better job of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Wow that looked awesome. Video looked great, but I could only watch so much. Personally the CRF is music to my ears - Styx isn't (anymore). So I'm guessing you had to gear down significantly? That looks like the kind of riding most of us only dream about. I've done the Durango/Silverton train. Are you in that general area?

RZ Rob
The Hermosa Video has lots of CRF soundtrack for you to enjoy: 11 minutes of 4-stroke symphony!
http://youtu.be/XHB97LUE-0w

None of us geared down, I have stock gearing on the KTM 450xcr-w and I believe the two Honda's also kept their desert gearing on....we just used a lot more clutch and of course the Rekluse Clutches made it much easier.

All of our riding was within 40 minutes of Durango, Hermosa is north of town and the other trails were NE of town. In the winter time there is also some good riding south around Aztec.

On a side note: I've been visiting Durango for the last 20 years and I think they have done a great job catering to such a vast population of outdoor users. I used to race mtn bikes and enjoyed the Iron Horse events, Roostmaster Shoot-outs on Chapmin Hill, racing the road bike up to Silverton, etc. The town seems to have doubled the number of trails nowadays and most of them are marked and mapped out for everyones enjoyment....which is a hard thing to do considering the population of Durango has also probably tripled in that same time frame.