User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 274
Lost on the way to the End of the World

So here it is, the beginning of the my trip to the end of the world.

First things first, to say goodbye to my city and the people I will miss. You start to take ownership of a city after a while, without realizing it this became "my" city as opposed to the many cities I had simply lived in, transitionally, throughout my childhood (which I like to think isn't _quite_ over just yet).

Goodbye Ottawa, see you again someday, maybe.

There is going to be a lot of living outside of the comfort zone ahead. For now, I can relax - family en route means an easy start. First to Mackenzie lake by Algonquin park to visit my cousin and her family. A beautiful ride, though I was going a little fast by the end as the sun sank and my handwritten directions became harder to read. Arrived just shy of 300k out of... well, there's no point trying to guess at it, but it's a long road to Ushuaia, even more so in my circumlocuitous fashion.

Meeting up with family is a great way to ease into life on the road, and not having to start out the journey in the hammock is a good start. Yes, I'm using a hammock instead of a tent. Lets see how that pans out...

And here, enjoying the view with me is Lost, my beautiful partner in crime. We'll both have new scars by the time this is through and plenty of stories to go with them. It's going to be a wild ride, and while I'm still enjoying the relaxed pace of life in the comfort zone, I know there's all kinds of adventure and adversity ahead.

I can't wait.

El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Thumb

Waiting for some road wisdom...

Subscribed
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Subscribed
rico2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 713
Awesome start, this sounds like quite an adventure!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,320
Tell us about your bike's set up.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Subscribed
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
RandyLove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
What's you're timeline into Central America looking like? I'll be in Mazatlan around the end of October, south-bound for Ushuaia.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Tell us about your bike's set up.
So the set up is pretty basic, as might be expected on a KLR. I've got some goodies though.

Right now I'm running a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket I just picked up in Hamilton, what a difference! I don't miss the 15, but I kept it for once I find myself in latin america playing chicken with transport trucks along winding mountain roads.

The tank is an IMS 6.6 gal, the doo has been done, T-mod is done, and I added barkbuster guards since I'm so tired of snapped levers. I also have a spare clutch cable/lever just in case. I'm running Heidenau k60s and I'll have a Shinko 244 waiting for me at the border for any fun roads I decide to explore in Mexico. Mandatory bash plate, too.

Luggagewise I'm using the SW motech evo racks and H&B aluminum panniers mounted with HT pucks (the stock H&B mounting points are a joke, snapped off first time I lowsided). I've also got a backpack lashed to the back with the remnants of an old Heidenau inner tube and a Wolfman explorer tank bag.

Everything else is stock, though I was burning a hell of a lot of oil before getting the 17 tooth sprocket. Might have to do a 688 upgrade before entering the Heart of Darkness, just seeing how this ride through the states goes first... it's not a cheap upgrade, and the sooner I run out of money the sooner I have to figure out how to get home. Or something.

El Explorador screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 07:17 PM
Old 08-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Timelessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLove View Post
What's you're timeline into Central America looking like? I'll be in Mazatlan around the end of October, south-bound for Ushuaia.
No idea :)

Keep in touch though, it would be cool to meet other riders on the way. I should be around there around that time. ish. maybe?

Depends on how much fun I'm having in the States!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I m in ,following from Chile.
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Even Heidenau's heavy duty inner tubes are no match for lazy carpenters and the 3-inch wood screws they leave lying around. You can ride on an empty tire, but bring a spare. Also Metzeler's tubless enduros are a bitch to get off, you definitely want to use the kickstand to break that bead. Rock the bike on your panniers if you don't have a centrestand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Waiting for some road wisdom...

Subscribed
Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
I'm in....
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

I couldn't navigate my way out of a wet paper bag

Hamilton is my last Canadian stop before the real adventure starts.

I do manage to get in some offroading in on my way out. Not on purpose mind you, I just take a *wrong turn on my way out and by the time I realize that this sandy track littered with loose rocks isn't taking me to the highway I'm having too much fun to turn around.

Riding a half ton motorcycle like it's a dirt bike is a recipe for a dirt nap, and sure enough on Day 2 I finally have my first spill on a particularly rough hill. Okay so maybe I had my second and third as well. Hey, it's sandy as hell and this is a different machine with a ninety lbs of luggage. It's hot and sweaty work wrestling Lost upright but it feels great.

Family is waiting for me in Hamilton and seeing everyone reminds me that I need to visit more often. We have some great conversations and catching up, and of course I have to make all kinds of ridiculously insincere promises about being safe and cautious on my journey. It's an adventure, not a pleasure cruise. At least I can promise good stories.

Speaking of which, I take the opportunity to catch up with some radical people in Canada's other capital, Toronto, and say goodbye to another familiar skyline.

(Photo credit to Mr. Gonzales)

One last goodbye to a girl I'm certainly linked to by fate. (cliffsnotes: Not actually engaged; Miss Xing was one of a harem of wives I collected in University and the only one I kept in touch with, moreso after running into her coincidentally in a mountain in Laos and the markets of Thailand)

She's lucky that's the case, because with her taste in helmets she'd have a hard time getting a ride otherwise.

It's been comfortable, but my feet are getting itchy and Lost didn't get all dolled up for these little jaunts around town. She's got a new 17 tooth countershaft sprocket from DualSportPlus (that means the bike burns less oil, mom), and its a whole new ride as I head off to Detroit.

To have a really interesting time at the US border crossing, when they ask you how long you're staying for and where you're staying the answer is: "I don't have a date planned to leave the US, and I'm staying with some stranger I met on the internet."
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
subscribing!