ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #91
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Tuesday August 7, 2012 pm ride

I'll be leaving Walmart in Goose Creek between 4:30- 4:40 pm and headed to the Wadboo Creek boat ramp on 402 in Moncks Corner. I'll wait at the ramp from ~5pm till 5:15pm to allow anyone that wants to join in. From there I thought I would head to the well in Huger and then try to make a cut across towards the Wambaw cycle trail where I hope to ride some of the north loop if it is wet enough. After, I'll be returning to James Island by a yet to be determined route, Hope some of you can join the fun. God bless and best regards, Ken King

Update, the cut across was easy and the weather stayed cool with light rain. The north loop was plenty wet and I managed the whole thing without dropping the bike, this is a first for me. It took me one hour 20 min to complete the 23 or so miles (it was dark after the 20 mile mark which was the last one I could see). I look forward to riding it again next time its wet but I much prefer the south loop when it is dark.

BigWrench screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 07:19 PM Reason: Update
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #92
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWrench View Post
I'll be leaving Walmart in Goose Creek between 4:30- 4:40 pm and headed to the Wadboo Creek boat ramp on 402 in Moncks Corner. I'll wait at the ramp from ~5pm till 5:15pm to allow anyone that wants to join in. From there I thought I would head to the well in Huger and then try to make a cut across towards the Wambaw cycle trail where I hope to ride some of the north loop if it is wet enough. After, I'll be returning to James Island by a yet to be determined route, Hope some of you can join the fun. God bless and best regards, Ken King

Update, the cut across was easy and the weather stayed cool with light rain. The north loop was plenty wet and I managed the whole thing without dropping the bike, this is a first for me. It took me one hour 20 min to complete the 23 or so miles (it was dark after the 20 mile mark which was the last one I could see). I look forward to riding it again next time its wet but I much prefer the south loop when it is dark.
sounds it was a good ride. ice got the TE stripped to cases and still digging. All looks pretty good, but i won't Bree in town this weekend anyway
Clint
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #93
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Looks like good weather tomorrow. Anyone up for a little loafering? PGA traffic makes me think anywhere away from charleston county would be wise.

I've got my sights set on building a new route. (HOCAT's big sister...no name yet but going state wide with this one) So I've got a lot of scouting to do. I'd love to ride the web wildlife ctr again, as i think it will play a role in the new route. But I'm open to suggestions.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #94
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Y'all missed out on some fun Sunday...

Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #95
2bikebart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Marsh Tiger you should be able to bunny hop that log, just drop a gear, lean back, pin the throttle and hope your skid plate holds up!!!

Didn't see any that big Saturday in the FMNF but we did see 3 or 4 new downed trees on the fire roads after that storm on Friday. Nothing we could not plow over. I also had my first close call with a wild hog Thursday evening just west of the Southern loop of the wamba. Not sure what fire road I was on but I was doing my best impression of Kenny Roberts around some s turns and came around the curve to see a big ass black hog right on the edge of the road. Not sure who was more scared but we both went our seperate ways!!!

My friend picked up a 2004 KLR Saturday so we have added to the heard!!!
2bikebart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #96
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

where did you find that log? Its perfect for practicing! even had a fork to stop a roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
Y'all missed out on some fun Sunday...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #97
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
where did you find that log? Its perfect for practicing! even had a fork to stop a roll.
At your favorite spot... Riding on Hamilton ridge rd.

I've seen and done much on the Tiger, but I've never confused it for a trails bike! I went around.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #98
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ahhhh, you're killing me! Got the Husky finished last night, but can't ride this weekend b/c a wedding. Looks like you had fun. I'm sure my first bounce over that log would have included a most graceful dismount
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
At your favorite spot... Riding on Hamilton ridge rd.

I've seen and done much on the Tiger, but I've never confused it for a trails bike! I went around.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #99
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
that tree looks fun....i cant wait to get out and try some of those trails with you guys!

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #100
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Headed to NC today, gonna ride Brown Mountain with my kid! She'll be sporting her newly painted helmet. She wanted pink, purple and WILD!

ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #101
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Sounds like fun, hope my Daughter will be all in for a ride w me one day!

Where are the rest if us riding this weekend? Group ride?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #102
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1quixote View Post
Headed to NC today, gonna ride Brown Mountain with my kid! She'll be sporting her newly painted helmet. She wanted pink, purple and WILD!
Love the helmet, OB1! Hope you two are in the midst of a glorious day in the mountains. We didn't ride the Brown OHV park last weekend but were all around it (Linville Gorge & Wilson Creek area).

Our son is grown now, but we've got two grand-nephews who are mighty interested in Gunk Gunk's and WaWa's bikes:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #103
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday Morning August 18, 2012

I'll be at the gas station at hwy 41 and the Wando river between 8:30 and 9:00am Saturday morning August 18, 2012. No fixed agenda but I must be back on James Island by 3:30 so I don't want to get too far away. Hope some of you come out to ride. God bless and best regards, Ken
Old 08-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #104
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
I'll be up for a ride Sunday at any time

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #105
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday afternoon August 19,2012

It was a great Saturday ride with Marsh Tiger around FMNF, sorry yall missed out. Sunday afternoon (8/19/2012) I'll be at Dodge's Chicken in Red Top (Hwy 17 just south of Charleston) around 1pm to meet with any that want to ride- unless something else is posted here. Hope some of you can make it. God bless and best regards, Ken

Update- a large thunderstorm on the way to Dodges caused traffic to slow to 5mph so I arrived late at about 1:15. Rode to the landing and then county line (and some off county line) to parkers ferry and givans state park. Rode thru euatawville then up thru santee to manchester SF then back down thru FMNF, got home around 10pm. Rained about half the time, 320 miles total. A great day riding, maybe some of you can come out and ride next time.

BigWrench screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 01:16 PM Reason: update