Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,735
Don't be dissuaded about riding your bikes up the Dalton. I ran the dorms at the U. in Fairbanks for many years. Saw 350-400 bikes a year stay on campus and most were headed to Prudhoe. Harley baggers, Goldwings, Honda Rebel 250, Yamaha R1 and a Vespa with two 70 year old grandmas; all made it up and back. Just make sure you know your bike's and your own limitations, ride slow when slow is needed and keep your wits about you and you'll be okay.

Get the most aggressive tires you can find. No need to haul a tire up the Dalton as depicted above, but make sure you can fix a flat. Make sure your chains are in good shape.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
jimmycoin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Don't be dissuaded about riding your bikes up the Dalton. I ran the dorms at the U. in Fairbanks for many years. Saw 350-400 bikes a year stay on campus and most were headed to Prudhoe. Harley baggers, Goldwings, Honda Rebel 250, Yamaha R1 and a Vespa with two 70 year old grandmas; all made it up and back. Just make sure you know your bike's and your own limitations, ride slow when slow is needed and keep your wits about you and you'll be okay.

Get the most aggressive tires you can find. No need to haul a tire up the Dalton as depicted above, but make sure you can fix a flat. Make sure your chains are in good shape.
a spare tire is not necessary but is def a nice option if you have room. Just ask my buddy that got a 3" gash in a tire 120 miles south of deadhorse. Fortunately he had a spare. If you dont have room though then you dont have room.
jimmycoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Well I am planning a trip to Prudhoe Bay. Looking like next summer. This year I have been focusing on motorcycle racing and my girlfriend has been fully supportive of that. So next year I will save my money and we will do a trip to Alaska and Prudhoe Bay. Looks to be about 8000 miles round trip. So we are looking around a month and a half to do the trip in.
Should be plenty of time to see things along the way and cover those miles without too much stress.

Quote:
I am just trying to get the general money costs down. We already have most supplies. Tent, sleep pads, would need to get camping cookware.

Costs
Gas:
Around 711 Gal Combied.
16000 miles (2 bikes) / 45mpg * $4.00
~$3000 in gas.
Looks like you doubled the mileage because of two bikes rather than one, then doubled the amount of gas for those double miles as well. My calculations would be more like this: 16,000 miles (2 bikes @ 8,000 miles per bike), / 40 mpg (give yourself a little cushion - rain and/or headwinds can lower your mileage) = 400 gallons @ $4.50/gal avg = $1800. There, I just saved you $1200 which you can spend on other things, such as...

Quote:
Food:
~$1000
Double that.

Quote:
Lodging
~$400, Camping fees, maybe a hotel or 2. Mostly going to try to stealth camp.
Triple that.

Quote:
Souvenirs
~$100 (I collect post cards, she does patches)
Double this one, too.

Quote:
We can make some of these cheaper by being thifty and it shouldn't be a big deal. Biggest cost is gas.
We are both full time students and the summer should be the perfect time to do this.

Us
Her bike is a 2007 Ducati Monster. Mine is a 2003 FZ1. We would both use soft saddlebags and a bungy net to tie stuff down. I have done multiple long trips. Cross US. Another up to yellowstone. She is pretty new to the riding thing but did great on the 3 day trip. Basically to help prepare for this trip we would go to find some fire trails to get some dirt work in with street tires.
Mix some loose, deep gravel into that, as well as some mud. Get some practice on loose surfaces until neither of you is nervous with the bikes wiggling all over under you when seated. Standing on the pegs helps a lot, but you won't want to be standing for 400 miles.

Learn to watch the road surface closely, and never, ever, outride your sight distance.

Quote:
Route:
Work in Progress

Starting from Orange County, CA.
Any route you take into Canada will narrow down to just one or two into Alaska, so whichever one you pick will be fine.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycoin View Post
a spare tire is not necessary but is def a nice option if you have room. Just ask my buddy that got a 3" gash in a tire 120 miles south of deadhorse. Fortunately he had a spare. If you dont have room though then you dont have room.
I just carried interior patches and a tube in case the slit was too big for a gummy worm or stop-n-go plug. Also carried a bead breaker, tire irons, CO2 and a compressor. I didn't have a flat on the Dalton, but I had two on the Dempster. Both were wide shale punctures. The tire had 6 psi when I made it back to the start of the road. It had been raining for two weeks and was raining for most of my Dalton ride, but I made it on a street bike with street tires - Metzeler Marathons.

I wouldn't stay over in Deadhorse. It is an armpit of a location. I rented a cabin at Wiseman and rode Deadhorse and back in one day. Have a solid mosquito strategy. I didn't use my bear spray, but I came back with two empty containers of DEET.

beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Ok I have had some more planning done. I have scratched the idea of using the bikes we own and buying 2 KLRs. We went to the dealership to check them out to see if my girlfriend can sit on the bikes. The 08+ KLRs look huge and she had trouble sitting on them and touching the ground. They also had a 2004 KLR that we sat on and it worked out much better. The 04 KLR has a thinner seat, and she could touch the ground, though we might lower it or shave the seat.
It also helps that the 1st Gen KLR is so much cheaper. The dealer tried to hard squeeze me into buying the 04 KLR but he was way over priced.

Also leaving June 23rd 2013 after a friends wedding.

Route North
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Y...7,8,10&t=m&z=7

That is out route currently to get up there. Going through the redwoods in Northern Cali, and then through oregon and Washington. I then went onto the motorcycle touring websites such as motoquest and used some of their routes as a rough sketch.

Route Home
TBD, but most likely going through yellowstone on the way home.

I also crashed my race bike again. 2nd time this month. But I did get to ride (get passed by) the MotoGP attack CRT bike. That thing is fast.

ParaMud screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 09:05 PM
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #21
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Ok I have had some more planning done. I have scratched the idea of using the bikes we own and buying 2 KLRs. We went to the dealership to check them out to see if my girlfriend can sit on the bikes. The 08+ KLRs look huge and she had trouble sitting on them and touching the ground.
It is easy to lower a KLR with lowering links on the rear suspension the front can be dropped by moving the fork tubes up. Be sure to do the doo-hickey conversions on both before you leave. On my recent trip to the area I saw some guys loading up a KLR for a dead trip home because the balancer chain derailed and totaled the engine. Get the torsion spring version. Some will say that the newer KLR's don't need them, and while the doo-hickey is built better, the spring still does not have enough tension. My son's 2008 had no spring tension left when we did the install on his at 3,700 miles. On the older bike, make sure that the plastic wear pad on the front of the swingarm is good. I met a guy who had a chain break on one on the Dempster because the pad had worn through.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
slo rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I might suggest heading west out of Prince George and taking the Cassier. We thought that was one of the better roads vs the boring straightness found on the Alaskan Hwy. YMMV. I would also recomend not missing the Denali Hwy.
slo rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo rider View Post
I might suggest heading west out of Prince George and taking the Cassier. We thought that was one of the better roads vs the boring straightness found on the Alaskan Hwy. YMMV. I would also recomend not missing the Denali Hwy.
Yes, the denali is on the route. I see the route your are telling me to take. 16->37. Ill either take that route on the way back or change my route on the way there.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,735
Here's a route that is sure not disappoint: Get to Cody WY - Take Hwy 120 north from Cody to Hwy 296 (Chief Joseph Byway) - Ride the Chief Joseph Byway to the Beartooth Hwy and then over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT - Ride from Red Lodge on Hwy 78 to Absarokee and then north to Hwy 12 - Hwy 12 west to Helena then I15 north to exit 200 (6 miles of slab) - west on Hwy 279 over Flesher Pass to Hwy 200 - East to Hwy 287 to Hwy 89, north to Hwy 2 then west thru Glacier Park (or go all the way to St Mary and ride the "Road to the Sun" thru the park) - Hwy 2 to Bonners Ferry ID - North into BC and go to Crawford Bay - ferry (free) to Balfour - then Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp - North to ferry from Shelter Bay to Galena Bay (free) - Hwy 1 to Hwy 93 (Banff Park) - west on 93 to Jasper (Icefield Parkway)- (Hwy 16 Yellowhead Hwy) - west on Hwy 16 to Kitwanga - Hwy 37 (Cassiar Hwy) to Hyder turn off (side trip to Hyder AK well worth the 80 mile round trip) - Cassiar north to ALCAN vicinity Watson Lake - ALCAN to Whitehorse - Klondike Hwy north from Whitehorse to Dawson City - ferry across the Yukon (free) to the Top of the World Hwy and Taylor Hwy (100+ miles of dirt) thru Chicken Alaska back to ALCAN vicinity Tok - ALCAN to Delta then Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #25
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Here's a route that is sure not disappoint: Get to Cody WY - Take Hwy 120 north from Cody to Hwy 296 (Chief Joseph Byway) - Ride the Chief Joseph Byway to the Beartooth Hwy and then over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT - Ride from Red Lodge on Hwy 78 to Absarokee and then north to Hwy 12 - Hwy 12 west to Helena then I15 north to exit 200 (6 miles of slab) - west on Hwy 279 over Flesher Pass to Hwy 200 - East to Hwy 287 to Hwy 89, north to Hwy 2 then west thru Glacier Park (or go all the way to St Mary and ride the "Road to the Sun" thru the park) - Hwy 2 to Bonners Ferry ID - North into BC and go to Crawford Bay - ferry (free) to Balfour - then Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp - North to ferry from Shelter Bay to Galena Bay (free) - Hwy 1 to Hwy 93 (Banff Park) - west on 93 to Jasper (Icefield Parkway)- (Hwy 16 Yellowhead Hwy) - west on Hwy 16 to Kitwanga - Hwy 37 (Cassiar Hwy) to Hyder turn off (side trip to Hyder AK well worth the 80 mile round trip) - Cassiar north to ALCAN vicinity Watson Lake - ALCAN to Whitehorse - Klondike Hwy north from Whitehorse to Dawson City - ferry across the Yukon (free) to the Top of the World Hwy and Taylor Hwy (100+ miles of dirt) thru Chicken Alaska back to ALCAN vicinity Tok - ALCAN to Delta then Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks.
Oh my. I am doing that.

Just mapped it out https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...,16,17&t=m&z=3

ParaMud screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 08:13 PM
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Right now I am still working on the finances and packing list. We went to the REI store yesterday and we were testing out the sleeping mats. We found http://www.rei.com/product/828229/th...ing-bag-double

Can be 2 singles or a double, but I am open to suggestions. I am also on the hunt for a better sleeping pad. We have 2 of the thermarest (15 years old) and I need thick padding because I am bony. So I was looking at the http://www.rei.com/product/778150/re...-inflating-pad and the XL is only 70 bucks (cheaper than the smaller one?) I would love the exped downmat but way to expensive!

So the main reason I posted this is to ask a question.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...bra-Boots.aspx
Natalie and I both have a set of Sidi boots (similar to the ones above). I am thinking that we should get more of a motocross boot such as the tech 8. I can get a set pretty cheap, but Natalie is a bit harder to shop for. So motocross boots or keep our current ones? I am leaning towards the motocross boots.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
redneck skier
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I will be heading that way in a couple of days!! Really excited and really happy to have found this thread... I'm kinda hoping I can find a few riding partners along the way. Good luck with your adventure next year!
redneck skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Bought one bike. Still saving up to buy another one.

Went for a 2 up dirt ride to test out the bike and it worked great!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #29
WTF-OVER
Yeah, Its Got a Boxer

Oddometer: 2,978
dont do any of this !

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=alaskin+titty

"Adventure is taking a chance, starting down a path that you dont have all the answers to and finding that the unknown isnt always dangerous, it's just unknown."
..Simon and Lisa Thomas..

"yes thank u for noticing. it is hard being me. beauty is a curse"...
....stolen from Joey BMW
WTF-OVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

We now have 2 bikes in the garage. One 2004 KLR with 9000 miles and a 2007 with 5000 miles. I am currently using the 04 to commute to school on the freeway. The 2007 KLR is currently torn apart and waiting for some paint. I also should be order modifications such as lowering links, Happy Trails NERF/Skid Plate/Highway Pegs and the $100 softbag rear cage. Also need to do the DOhickey on the 07.

Went for another 2 up ride last night.

I am still working on the Route some more. I have been looking at Ride Reports and have been changing the route. I need to redo it so we can cut down the total amount of miles but still see the same sits and roads. Basically go up north on the west side, and south on a more easterly route.

I also bought 2 new Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads (rectangle one long, one regular) for under $100 which was a great deal. We are both excited for the trip!