User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #61
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,611
Wednesday 6/27/12

What a beautiful day! So out I went in search of some Smoky Mountain Dirt. I leisurely left home around 10 am and got on the big Aye Fourdy and here is a look at Buzzard's roost where you saw my ride bud sitting ( "back yard shot") earlier in this thread in frame #5. Look above the tunnels, this photo does not do the elevation difference justice.

I dropped off the interstate after crossing the Tenn line and back into the Park as I passed this power plant on the state line

Looks like the slow economy has dealt the Smoky Mountain Gift shop a hard blow. Dang, I was hoping to get in on some good deals

Well, went on up the dirt road behind the gift shop to see what I could find

The AT crosses up here as I cross over the NC/TN line again

Ok headed onto pavement at this point and this TN 32 sucks...don't ride this..10 miles of first gear curves..seriously unless you are one of the folks who use no engine braking and hit the brakes going into every curve...I hate being behind you if you do!

Nice camping here and a good trout stream about 10 miles down 32 from the NC line

Bad economy has hit here too I guess

Whats this fancy entrance? Cosby Utah Canyons with bears?

They ain't doing much here either as it looks

It looks almost abandoned inside these gates...maybe I'll go back and name this the "Bad Economy Thread"

Ok folks, I hit some faster roads down toward Gatlinburg, and over to Pigeon Forge and was behind the "Delivery Truck and Old Farts Parade" until I was near insane and then I finally got on Wears Valley Road and over to Townsend TN. Neat little town with bicycle paths and nice motels fer you honeymooners...anyway..found some grub at the Smokey Junction Restaurant. Sorry..I always eat some of it before you get a chance to see it...

It wuz good but a little heavy duty fer me so I guess it will be oat meal fer supper

Rode on over to this place known as Cades Cove

What can I say? Purdy ain't it. Now you have seen it so don't waste yor time coming here...

Now here is where the fun begins...one way dirt...no cell...no emergency service...no nothing for 10 miles but lots of rough road. Don't do this with a cruiser...you won't be happy.

About 3.5 miles in are these trailheads

8 miles of parson's Branch later, you come this this known as the 'Dragon'.

Headed home on this road which is nice but I know a lot of roads just as much fun and no crowd. Two motorcycle accidents, nothing serious apparently, before I got to Fontana...hope I get off this road in one piece

Better scenery on further south on 28 I think

Ok, I got back on 74 east and went home and will not bore you with photos of that....today's mileage and a really fun ride in spite of the sucky curves was 217.6

Til next time

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 07:19 PM
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #62
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Speaking of bad economy, I passed through Franklin, NC on my trip. Here's a pic of the Franklin Motel just outside center of town:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #63
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Speaking of bad economy, I passed through Franklin, NC on my trip. Here's a pic of the Franklin Motel just outside center of town:

Wow! I have stayed there before when we used to over there ruby mining at the Mason Mine up in Burningtown...

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #64
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Yeah, whatever you do, do NOT ride 32 or that really sucky dirt road up the mountain on the NC side. They are no fun at all......just stay away!

Sucks to be you, don't it?
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #65
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Yeah, whatever you do, do NOT ride 32 or that really sucky dirt road up the mountain on the NC side. They are no fun at all......just stay away!

Sucks to be you, don't it?
There is a bunch of sucky dirt on both sides of Aye Fourdy and several no ramp Hillbilly entrances too...awful...people come here and never heard from again...if you hear banjos....ride fast....

Honda XR 70 R
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #66
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

July 4th, 2012

Hot day even here in the hills. I am in my usual bad mood since we have no decent roads to ride here or at least we have not found any lately. I headed out this morning with my sweetie (mtngal) 2-up in search of something worth mentioning to you on a little loop around the neighborhood. mtngal is taking the photos with her better camera today. We barely got headed down Meadow Fork and you might know the darn wildlife around here act like they own the place...bunch of turkeys in my opinion!

I can remember a day when this building had good looking tags and now they are all rusty...whats wrong with these people not taking care of their tags?.....I really am grumpy today...

Well we decided to make a quick run through Hot "Sprangs" then head down river....

Paint Rock so named for the Native American paintings still visible on a few places here but mostly damaged by vandals so don't waste any time coming here...

You take the high road and we'll take.....we actually we took the high road...dirt...sorta rough in places...steep drop-offs...long views...trees across the road...don't come here!

Zig here, zag there, hop or two and the big GS is moving on...

I dunno what happened...we paid our respects at any rate...

Down off the mountain we find more sucky roads and terrible stuff to see

Fitting flag for today...we do have a lot to be thankful for in this wonderful country! Just wish we had some good straight roads...

This tractor ain't American made but I guess it gets the job done. Not goin' to complain...my bike ain't American made either so thar you go...

Found this old power house and dam along the road.

Headed down Cove Creek, Cedar Creek and Long Branch in search of Del Rio...

Note..a Massey Harris...not Massey Ferguson

All the gals basking in the shade on this Hot day and I do mean HOT!

Found Del Rio!

She'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes...

Ran out of pavement again! can you imagine?

Checking out a side road...

Back on the main track

Lunch!

If'n you dare come here, we do have big foot here, here's proof! and he may be in a bad mood!

Trusty iron horse

Cooling way down up here Not!!!

Bee Balm and it makes a great tea and mtngal told me the name of it but I forget....maybe she will comment at the end and tell us....

pond near the Patch

The "patch" Max patch that is...AT crosses here before going to Hot Sprangs if you are going north.

Headed back to the house which is close by....

Neighbors place

Almost there

Just a little jaunt around the neighborhood which took a while since we were on a lot of unpaved tracks today.
Finished grilling some great food and now the temp is cooler and nice after this short trip:

Don't worry about my brake failure light..who needs brakes anyway?

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 06:29 AM
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #67
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,774
love the pics!!!

... looks all very familiar
Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #68
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
love the pics!!!

... looks all very familiar
Thanks! Hope all are having a great Holiday week and thanks Cuttle for the help on getting my photos up to size!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #69
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Local stuff 7-17-12

It's been a few busy weeks fer me and no ridin' time so I was determined to get out today at least long enough to tryout my new camry ( that's not a Toyota, that's what they call it here where I live...it's a Camera!) its a Canon PowerShot SX40HS so don't ask me anything about it. Imma total camry dummy so maybe mtngal will teach me how to use it someday but I tried today with it set on AUTO ( that's fer dummys like me) so maybe I will get this figgered out before I get too far out of town. Stormy day so I tried to stay pretty local...I prefer to be rained on by local rain...just does not seem as wet I guess even though I got in 3 separate thunder showers that were so hard that most cars pulled over except idiots like me.

First of all I needed gas so I went down to the closest hillbilly station. After I got there, I had a hard time figgerin' out how to swipe. There was a guy right next to me swipin' and he swiped and he swiped and finally he got real frustrated and was about to leave when I noticed his tag was from Flordie. I have pity for them coming up here trying to survive. They always leave and go home in a few months. By then I had figgered out how to swipe myself...here you look at this and tell me how you would swipe:

How would you do it? Would you hold your stripe up to the left and swipe or hold it in your hand like it shows at the swipe hole? I figgered the description to the left must be upside down fer people from south of the equator and so I hold mine like it shows at the hole. I explained this to the out of towner and he ended up getiin' gas.....just like me...

OK...on with the ride. I looked in all directions and there seemed to be fewer thunder heads to the south so I hit 215 south toward Balsam Grove.

Looking pretty stormy already:

Some Mountain laurel still in bloom up here:

Wow...pretty clouds but looking dangerous..

Turned off on Explorer/Charley'sCreek:

Over on Silversteen:

I spent the next two hours in one rain after another. The rain was refreshing as it blew right through my open suit vents and by the time I was almost home again, the sun was back out some and I was dryin' a bit. Got to the oldest iron bridge still in use in NC. It used to be further down the river then about 1920 or so, they replaced it and the local farmers asked the state if'n they could have it and put it up the river so they could cross over to their fields and save a long trip around to get to market and so it was a deal. The bridge was moved on wagons with horses, the farmers made the cement and installed the bridge and it still stands but modern farm equipment is heavy and has taken its toll so its being closed to motor vehicles and will be a walking and bicycle path only...neat huh?

New bridge goes about a 1/4 mile upstream...

Bought me a jar of molasses..

I think my photos are lookin' just a bit "washed" out so I'll work on that.

Well, it's been another terrible day here in Worstern NC.

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 08:51 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #70
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Sunday 7/29/12

A friend of mine, David, was bitten by the Adventure Bug so he finds himself a slightly used KTM 990 with some really nice accessories. David has spent most of his experience with bikes riding the street with heavy cruisers so mtngal and I took him out for his first really good run with the KTM. It's a nice machine, needs some new tires as the previous owner lived in the flats and it has a good case of what I call "squar-tar" or worn tire centers so its a bit wierd probably in the curves with the rail like contact patch so he will take care of that.

We meet at Clyde's restaurant in Waynesville for a really nice breakfast ( forgot to take food photos) then we started out with something gentle like the Blue Ridge Parkway just to see how he is doing. A beautiful day with clear air and white fluffy clouds was the setting:

( Oh, and I apologize in advance for this terrible place to ride but it's all us locals have when we don't have time to get far out)

So far so good!

Mtngal loves to use the camera as we roll so most all the pics today were with her panasonic and Lecia lens.

David appears to have a good set-up on the bike:

He is having fun on his friskey KTM!

mtngal grabs a shot of an oncoming cruiser:

Let's see what we can find for David on 215 south:

Soon a right turn on Explorer roads opens up a lot of adventuring possibilities:

Sorry, bridge not open to bikes...

On the road again...

Too many roads, too little time...

I like this for adventure touring, well centered on his machine, head level, eyes focused ahead in the curve, and not going for the apex too soon....

Hmmm...maybe time for some simple gravel...

Nice healthy looking mountain ladies...

Back on pavement soon and an awesome view of Cat Creek and Franklin ahead:

It was a good ride...

On down Cat Creek.

About grub time so we pulled in at Motor City Grill on main in Franklin...parked in front. Seating options include nice curbside tables but with this heat, we opted for the air-conditioned environment.

Bon Appetit!

Mount up....

Passing the Nikwasi ( Nequasee or Nequassee) Native American burial mound in downtown Franklin area:

Lets roll: Walnut Creek

Lake Glenville

Back on Charlie's Creek for the last leg of our run together:

Comfort station anyone?

Return on 215 north. David took the BRP south to home and mtngal always find some neat photo ops on this road as we head in on the last leg of our ride today.

Dangerous culvert...the unknowing have stepped into the water just to be swept away to a 40 foot fall...terrible thought

There are several old iron bridges on this river with interesting stories to be told by the locals. I am a local here, raised near-by, and generations of my family before me have crossed these structures many times;

This particular bridge, while not the oldest in the state, was previously located downstream at the intersection of Love Joy and Lake Logan Roads when the logging train used what is now known as Lake Logan Road to haul out logs from the high country many know now as the Graveyard Fields area. That's a lot of history in itself, but it seems this old bridge has a history that followed it upstream....well..perhaps a ghost or apparition will appear up in its structures to some who venture across. I know the story, I elect not to tell it all as it involves families of locals from generations gone by. You look at the photos mtngal took. We did not see what showed up ( and this is not the first time I have experienced this) here. We both had a feeling here that was abnormal, emotional, confusing, and not typical with our fun ride so we moved along but...here...you look at the photos...

Moving on home...

Great products from here...

See ya soon

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 11:25 AM
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #71
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,918
2nd time this wkend i've heard of the motor city grill & i thought i knew franklin

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #72
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

8/4/12 Camping test run

This may not be much of a day trippin' thing but some of you may find it interesting or helpful. mtngal and I are going to be doing some camping from the GS. That would be an easy thing if we each rode separate bikes and could haul a load on each bike. The challenge for us is to do this off one bike as she prefers to ride with me ( I refer that too since she has spent her life on horseback and not on two wheels).

We bought a new neat tent and look forward to giving that a try too. Its made by Nemo ( morph 2-P) and has no poles but air beams instead.

Over the years, I have learned in my travels on the bike to test new things a little at a time until I knew what I wanted before heading out on a long trip and end up wasting vacation days and every body else's time also with unforeseen problems. So mtngal and I decided to try out the new tent in the back yard, then load up the GS with all our gear, at least one day water, clothes, tent, mattress pads, stools, one burner stove, fuel for that, MRE's, other foods, condiments, sporks, riding under garmets, camp clothes, shoes, cameras, bike's tools, oil, camp lights, gee...its a long list! My goal is to find out if we can ride with all this and you know..simple stuff like are we comfortable?, can we get on and off the loaded bike and get it on the stand OK?, ride gravel, run the curves a little, not loose gear, nor have catastrophic things winding up in our wheels, and so forth. Are things packed in the order of need setting up a camp. I want to check out the various settings on my electronic suspension with all this weight too so here we go:

New Tent sets up fast, peg it out, attached air pump, rock your foot for a few minutes, and done!

Happy campers.....so far

Air beam supports easy to inflate and deflate

Neat sky view with the rain cover rolled back off the mesh front...

Ok, got it all loaded:

I guess mtngal can fit in there...good thing she is so little!

Out for a test run:

We got back from an hour ride and did just fine even up the steep gravel driveway. I think with a few refinements we are good to go. I am not confident about the bed rolls staying dry on top of our side cases...the manufacturers claim the stuff sacks are water proof...I may put them in dry sacks but that adds to the bulk close her legs. She is very comfortable as is.

The loading ( and this is by no means a complete list of junk) is as follows:

In the upper water proof bag are the mattress pads, tent, rope, camp led light, camp shoes.

In the upper case are our riding clothes, camp or street clothes, toiletries. A few toiletries for travel are in the tank bag.

In the right side case is the camp stove, MRE's, folding water bucket, other food, first aid kit, coffee stuff, and in short all the camp kitchen stuff. Snacks and a few in the tank bag. Weight about 35 lbs. On the top is my bed roll.

In the left side case is the bike tool roll (heavy), bike oil, fire extinguisher, gas treatment if needed, jumper cables ( homemade and compact) extra straps, can of plexus for helmet lens & windscreen, bike cover ( may throw this out for more room), cheap throwaway ground clothes for the tent. Two folding stools seen above with the tent. Probably a few other things like leatherman, side arm for states honoring concealed carry permits, pepper spray in the tank bag. Weighs in about 38 lbs.

Tank bag has couple cameras, sunglasses, tire gauge, GPS when not in use, cell phones, wallets, things mentioned already etc.

Ok, comments pro or con appreciated. I have done this before but only for 1-up riding...no I ain't pullin' no trailer! So if you have thoughts, let me know.

Happy trails!

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 01:31 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #73
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
2nd time this wkend i've heard of the motor city grill & i thought i knew franklin
How's that shoulder??? This place is on the left side of Main street right before you can turn right on 28. Good to hear from you..maybe see you at the Nottaralley? or before...

Honda XR 70 R
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #74
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
How's that shoulder??? This place is on the left side of Main street right before you can turn right on 28. Good to hear from you..maybe see you at the Nottaralley? or before...

i'll find it i'll bet downtown has changed some sence i've been there.

healing

hopeing to be at notarally, still not sure

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #75
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,873
I love ready your ride reports and love seeing your travels. I need to make a trip to the western part of the state soon.
I really like that tent. How well do you think it would stand up in a windy/thunderstorm? Do you think it would be good for backpacking? Is the pump part of the tent or purchase separately? I am looking at getting a new backpacking tent. Thanks