User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #5296
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
A quick tire check

should I shave off some knobs???? Hmmm....

I thought he was just making up rules, but he's actually correct about the bi-directional requirement for a speed trial.

The hot-rodder's second run:

Dave had done 87.6mph on the way back.

His second run upwind:

and then mine.

Good, clean fun!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #5297
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The preliminary results:

My downwind run:

I DID run out of room!

And the final results...
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #5298
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,825

Very cool !
New tires and a good bike hose down in your future's Doc ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #5299
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

Very cool !
New tires and a good bike hose down in your future's Doc ?
Isn't that what water crossings are for?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #5300
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Isn't that what water crossings are for?
indeed they are! lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #5301
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 829
My take on the big race

So I was a little hesitant on the first run...didn't take much ribbing to get me to relax and get down on the tank.
Thanks Doc & LDF, that was truly one of the highlights for me.

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #5302
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,407
[QUOTE=AlbertaStrom;19331149]So I was a little hesitant on the first run...didn't take much ribbing to get me to relax and get down on the tank.
Thanks Doc & LDF, that was truly one of the highlights for me.

Do you think removing ALL your gear and getting in the prone position, you could have gotten to 90?
Nice to be able to take a little extra time and enjoy the sights.
Makes for a nice ride report, thanks to the three of you!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #5303
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Do you think removing ALL your gear and getting in the prone position, you could have gotten to 90?
I have a pretty pointy head so I'm quite aerodynamic. I think my mirrors killed 0.3mph for me
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #5304
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Parting shot

I'm still calling it a tie.

It was a really, really fun place. I'd have to put it on my top 10 Mobius list, and would recommend it to anyone who can bring an internal combustion engine connected to any number of wheels. When you're out there it's fast and it's not fast -- If you look at the ground wizzing by, and feel the wind blowing back your head you can get a sense of your speed (I know 80+mph isn't that fast, I've gone faster, duh), but when you look at the horizon, it's like you aren't even moving, more like floating.

The other thing I found interesting was how long it takes to get to top speed. You reach 99% of your top speed within 15 seconds, but to squeeze out the last 0.1mph takes forever -- the speedo just creeps.

Fun, fun, fun. And on the Utah side of the border... who'd a thunk?

We topped up fuel on our way out, and made our way over Leppy pass, and looked down across Pilot Creek Valley, with Pilot Peak (10,614ft) in the distance.

The larger, longer road skirted around the valley to the West (left). The shortcut we wanted to take said "Road impassable when wet" in the atlas. When the world gives you a drought, make lemonade! We took the shortcut.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #5305
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Down at the bottom

there was an area labeled "Sand dunes" in the atlas. I had visions of Dakar, but it turned out to be these squat little guys.

and the hardpack two-track road passes straight through.

There were some soft spots, but nothing terrible.

We had to take a little detour to get to the main road,

and then it was smooth sailing to Lucin.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #5306
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More tourist sights

along the way,

we took a rest stop,

We were circumnavigating the Great Salt Desert clockwise. Heading north, it was on our right to the East.

To break up the long, straight monotony, I'd planned our route to dive into the mountains to the north,

and go up and over Emigrant pass before heading East and hooking up with the old Transcontinental railroad bed trail.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #5307
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Lucin

We'd heard of Lucin from this article in the NYTimes, which featured photos of Ivo Zdarsky's Ultimate Man Cave.

Needless to say, we didn't stay long. Just enough to defleece, and take some pitchers of the signs.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 09:54 AM
Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #5308
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We realized that

we could take the railroad grade from here to the Emigrant Pass road and wouldn't have to ride pavement,

Unfortunately, we'd been seen.

I don't think LDF and Ranson realized how close they were to being shot full of holes.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #5309
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The railroad grade

was cool, though flat,

They'd diverted the trail around these decommissioned little trestle bridges, and if you weren't paying attention, they'd take you by surprise.

Emigrant pass was pleasant,

not too challenging, and had the added benefit of getting us up off the valley floor.

On the backside, we passed some neat rock formations,

that were reminiscent of the City of Rocks,

This was the...

Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #5310
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

From here,

we had a feeling of deja vu.

I know I'd seen these little sad saplings somewhere...

Sure enough, our old friend Ruby,