ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #91
mwolff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Visitor from CA to meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphil38 View Post
Hey Motos, We are doing a ride on Saturday out thru the Tortalitas and to Rail X and back. We will meet on the corner of Dove Mt Rd & Tangenine Rd @ 9:00 to gear up and roll out @ 9:30. The ride will be a quick paced fun ride. I will be parked east of the gas satation to unload. Ride On! Phil 850-8417.
I will ride, a CA visitor in Oro Valley for a few days. Husky 630. Mwolff
Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #92
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 522
Feb 26th -- Bull Springs road again

Doing the Bull Springs Road again (essentially Amado to Patagonia and back; more if Patrick is up to it) This Sunday (Feb. 26th).

Meeting up in Green Valley at the Chevron Station on Continental, just west of I-19 exit #63, at 9:30 a.m.

Additional riders welcome.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #93
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
Ride Name:Mount Lemmon
Date: 07/01/2012
Meeting time:06:30
Meeting location:circle K on tanque verde
Estimated Length of Ride:About 100 miles round trip
Difficulty: easy

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #94
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Bike Time! Lots of opportunities!

Howdy Folks -

Not sure where to place this thread, so I am linking this to the other Tucson forum. Here is what I post in Tucson Area Banter Board.

I have the next 2 weeks off of work. I just picked up a brand new BMW GSA. Put on the basic farkles and been riding everyday, like a man would in his right mind with a new bike and no work. If anyone is interested in day rides, hit me up please! Bike is still in 'break-in' period, which basically means "hang at redline as much as you can until it stops burning oil" - sure thing! Been blasting some roads down south getting familiar with the sidewalls.

I'm more interested in getting of pavement and exploring how the bike behaves and handles in some tricky stuff. I've riden Ruby road, Arivaca lake, Box canyon etc etc, but these are all mighty tame. Beautiful, awesome, and amazing undoubtedly! I am looking for a parter for safety and some 'peer encouragement' for the more challenging and maybe to help pick the bike up if my arms are weak due to riding.

Anyways, I am thinking about Middlemarch road (by Tombstone), from Nogales to Parker Canyon lake, Coronado National Monument, rambling the Chiricahuas, from Pima/Thatcher around the other side of Mount Graham down to Wilcox, of course the backside of Lemmon/San Manual/Cascabel road, rambling the Tortolitas, etc etc. Just a few options, I know most of these roads are tame with more challenging spurs heading off in either direction.

If anyone is interested, I would love to have a riding partner for safety, encouragement and camaraderie! Hit me up with a PM or an email (I think you can access that through my profile!). I've been living the dream, basically waking up in the morning, looking at a map, and heading out until sunset or so. I'd love to plan a ride with someone else and open to route suggestions!

Oh yeah, also getting a set of Jesse Luggage by the weekend (I hope). Anyone interested in beer, banter, and a jesse luggage install?

Cheers!

Steve
Old 08-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #95
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday 8/12/12 ride from Tucson to Chiricahua National Monument, AZ

Howdy Folks -

Ride Name: Chiricahua National Monument loop
Date: August 12, 2012
Meeting time: ?? depends on interest. 0730 is the latest we should be riding eastbound.
Meeting location:?? depends on interest and where folks live. I think the waffle house at Grant & I10 for the folks on the west side, and maybe highway 83 & I10 for the east side folks.
Estimated Length of Ride: 350-400 miles, all day long :). Weather permitting, we may be altering the route to stay dry, or put us back on pavement/interstate before sundown.
Difficulty: meh, I'm on a 600 pound bike that I've owned for 2 weeks, and will have a passenger. I generally ride a swift pace and get into some fun places. Nothing too technical, but the pace could be swift.
Notes: bring food and ample water. We typically do cliff bars/granola for lunch, and grab a quick meal from some place in the mid-late afternoon. Not many places for food along the way, but we always find something! And, I typically fail to budget much time for food.

The girlfriend and I are planning to do some adventuring tomorrow. Still breaking in the new BMW GSA, and having a lot of fun doing it! I haven't been out to the Chiricahua National Monument since the fires last year.

The ride will take us to tombstone, then head up and over the Dragoons via MiddleMarch road (dirt). I've done this in the M1009 a few times, fun road. Lots of history about Cochise here. Also stumbled upon a few abandoned mines.

There we jet over to the Chiricahua National Monument, AZ and head over to Portal on the dirt again. I want to go scope out some of my favorite camsites out there and see what the fire damage did to them. The mountain range is totally gorgeous (or from my memories that were made pre-burn were!), and lots of fun little spurs to investigate and get lost in. We also enjoy walking and rambling around Portal, the quaint bird-frenzy town on the east side of the range. The SW desert research station is out there as well, along with South Fork, a gorgeous canyon just west of Portal.

She has been out to rucker canyon on a 'girls' weekend, and I have been eyeing this on Google Earth for ages. I would also like to hit up tex and rucker canyon for some enjoyable riding and scouting for camping/getaways in the future.

We are very easy going and casual folks, just love to be on two wheels seeing nature's beauty. Not sure where lunch will be, reference the 'notes' section ahead. We generally just snack throughout the day and grab a quickie between 1500-1700.

Yes, this is a rather adventurous day. Yes, the route is susceptible to change depending on timing and weather. Yes, you are more than welcome to peel off at any time, don't feel committed for a full day of craziness; the trip to MiddleMarch road could be a sufficient for some folks' riding needs.

If you're looking for some fun, tag along! Uuhhh - first ride posting so - I'm no master coordinator or acclaimed trip organizer. Bring a bike that's in working condition and is capable of a bit more than interstate speeds (we do unfortunately have some tarmac to cover). Not sure what else to mention.

We generally ride a bit quick, sometimes for long periods of time, will stop for bird sightings and great landscape photo opportunities. We plan to see a lot!

If you're interested, post public replies than we can settle on specific meet times for the locations if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

SpeedySteve screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 01:05 PM
SpeedySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #96
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySteve View Post
Howdy Folks -

Ride Name: Chiricahua National Monument loop
Date: August 12, 2012
Meeting time: ?? depends on interest. 0730 is the latest we should be riding eastbound.
Meeting location:?? depends on interest and where folks live. I think the waffle house at Grant & I10 for the folks on the west side, and maybe highway 83 & I10 for the east side folks.
Estimated Length of Ride: 350-400 miles, all day long :). Weather permitting, we may be altering the route to stay dry, or put us back on pavement/interstate before sundown.
Difficulty: meh, I'm on a 600 pound bike that I've owned for 2 weeks, and will have a passenger. I generally ride a swift pace and get into some fun places. Nothing too technical, but the pace could be swift.
Notes: bring food and ample water. We typically do cliff bars/granola for lunch, and grab a quick meal from some place in the mid-late afternoon. Not many places for food along the way, but we always find something! And, I typically fail to budget much time for food.

T
Cheers!

Have a good ride. This would have been a good ride for me but not quite enough notice.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #97
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
Training

I could use a couple months notice to get my arse in shape for this ride. I don't think I can do 400 miles on granola bars.

Just kidding, have fun
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project

yzfcathy screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 11:34 AM
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #98
Alphamale11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
If I had seen this sooner, I would've been in. I'll check here a bit more frequently.
Alphamale11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #99
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

14 hours of awesomeness conquering 420 miles of southern Arizona's beauty. man that GSA is one capable, awesome, fun bike to ride! Made the entire route with a bit of a late start and some unexpected stops. Whew the Chiricahuas may just be my favorite range in southern Arizona!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #100
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride August 18, 2012

Meeting Time edited

Howdy Folks -

We are planning another bike on the big bike this weekend. Uncertain of the route details, I need to spend some time scouring Google Earth and plotting a routes. Tentatively, I think we will start the ride by hopping over Box Canyon from Madera Canyon to highway 83. Then, either spend the day exploring in the west side of the Whestone Mountains by entering the Las Cienegas NCA and maybe meandering down to the Mustangs. That, or will ride to Patagonia and explore the Patagonia Mountains via Harshaw, Duquense, and maybe going to the Lochiel area.

I will update with a more accurate route later tonight.

Ride Name: Southern Rambling
Date: Aug 18, 2012
Meeting time: 0730
Meeting location: Grant & i10 or Valencia & i19
Estimated Length of Ride: 0700-1700. ( We have a commitment in Tucson around 1700-1800, so no riding past dark this week :p! )
Difficulty: You can do it!

So, the GF and I heading out on the BMW GSA to conquer what we can. Hopefully the weather will hold out. All ride parameters are basically the same as my post for last weekends ride. Stopping for photos of awesome scenery, ADV bike photo ops, birds, other wildlife etc. I always plan to run the day on packaged food, and we typically find a sit down for a quick choke n puke sometime in the mid to late afternoon.

I will most likely load the GPS with all possible routes in the whestones and patagonias, and freely ramble until we want to get out!

Tag along if you're game for some gorgeous rambling!

Cheers

SpeedySteve screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 09:41 PM
SpeedySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #101
9_heavens
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Down

Down for this ride tomorrow but i dont know about the 'better than interstate speeds' thing i only have an old dr650. My r1150gs would be fine but fuel pump went out and shes in pieces. PM me if we can work something out im on the eastside of tucson.

-martin
9_heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #102
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=9_heavens;19385648]'better than interstate speeds' thing /QUOTE]

Not a big deal. Not many highway miles tomorrow. You'll have the advantage!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #103
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

0730 waffle house Grant and I10. Got caught up in a small social activity in the neighborhood, still havent sifted through google earth. I think we may explore Las Cienegas for most of the day. If we're out early, we can loop around the Mustangs.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #104
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
No go for me this weekend - maybe next.

I'm in for some longer scenic rides if we can get the timing to work out.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #105
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Oddometer: 461
Ride Tortalitas

Ride: 8/25/12
Time: 8:am
Start: Location Tangerine Rd & Dove Mtn Rd (Chevron Gas Station)
Distance: Appx 50 Miles
Type: Fast Paced No Big Bikes or Newbies