Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #5311
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Way in the distance,

we could see something burning.

We'd be heading well to the south of the burn,

Heading East, the Great Salt Desert was still on our right, now to our South.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #5312
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our snack stop

was at the cemetery at Kelton. We took off our helmets, and the wind had an eerie whistle.

I can't imagine what a hardscrabble life it must have been out here in the 1800's.

As we wandered through the graves, we noted that many of the headstones were for children.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #5313
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I love how

the signs are so weathered that reading them is like solving a phrase on Wheel of Fortune:

Next Stop... G _ _ D _ _ ... _ _ _ K _

I'd like to buy a vowel?

We were back on the railroad grade,

We were approaching the point where the Great Salt Desert gives way to the Great Salt Lake.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 12:33 PM
Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #5314
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We started to see

some interesting rock formations,

You tell me this isn't an elephant!

The closest we'd get to the Great Salt Lake was at Monument Point,

Everything has a name... that's Lone Rock, with the lake behind.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 07:42 PM
Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #5315
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 303
Looking at these pictures is especially tough. I should have been riding that rail road bed today, but I tore my biceps tendon in Colorado on Tuesday and had to trailer the bike back to Memphis. Still I love reading Mobius!

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #5316
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

From Monument Point,

the road started to get wider and better traveled.

Soon, we were at the Golden Spike.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #5317
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was late afternoon,

we toured the interpretive center,

and walked around looking at the historic locomotives,

We were just in time for the daily ritual of putting the engines back in the shed.

Sorry there's so much talking... I just wanted to catch the thing actually moving -- skip forward to 2:20.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #5318
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Coming back the other way

They really are beautiful machines.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 04:51 PM
Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #5319
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was time

to start thinking about dinner and where we'd end our day,

We checked the maps, and decided to get groceries in Brigham City, and then head out and camp at the first place that looked good.

We'd be on pavement for a bit,

Brigham City was quaint,

It was strange navigating among traffic,

We found a grocery store, and stocked up,

ran into a guy from Jersey who was working for the NFS and rode dirt. Chatted with him for awhile, got some intel about camping, and checked if there was any forest fire activity we needed to worry about.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #5320
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I knew we'd be

on highway for a few miles. But the next section caught me by surprise. All of a sudden, the GPS signals for us to turn off the divided highway onto a dirt road. It seems wrong, I didn't remember any dirt here...

it was a bitchin' short cut up and over the range. And by bitchin' I mean that some members of our crew weren't so stoked to be doing muddy, technical riding at the end of the day when they'd been promised easy pavement until we got to a campsite.

It wasn't long before we were in the next valley, and back on tarmac.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #5321
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hyrum reservoir

and then a climb into the Wasatch-Cache National Forest where there were campgrounds aplenty listed in the maps.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #5322
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sure enough,

we found the Pioneer Campground empty except for the host,

We found a spot, set up camp, collected firewood,

It was odd to be out of the desert, with water and trees around. We spent a late evening around the campfire regaling our day. It was a good one.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #5323
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 12 stats

Not bad for a late-ish start, and a bunch of stops.

(Top speed documentation:)

Day 12 tracks in .gpx format are available here.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #5324
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Zen and the Art

One day folks will be to re-tracing Mobius adventures as those who have followed in Pirsig's tire tracks. See: "Zen and Now" / Mark Richardson, (A.Knopf..2008)... .Bonneville has been on my bucket list for some time. Brilliant!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #5325
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 13, Thursday May 24, 2012

We'd rounded third base, and were pushing for home. We had some 240 miles routed, and two days. Easy Peasy -- 120miles/day.

Famous last words like, "Hold my beer, and watch this."

Even though we were in a canyon and it stayed dark longer, we were up early,

Dave spent some time in the morning properly stretching. As if he somehow KNEW the pain we were in for.

It's not like there weren't signs. I think we were just in denial. When we stopped to toss our garbage I recall the host asking where we were headed, and when we told him "Up Left Hand Fork road", he told us about the Mountain Man Rendezvous, and then his eyes widened, and he said "Left Hand Fork is really, really, REALLY rough." "But it goes through"

"Really rough"? we said. "Meh, WE'RE really rough... gol durn recreational-vehicle-camper-sleeping-host-guy, we'll show you!"

And off we went,

I know AlbertaStrom has some nice video, hopefully he'll lay it down here for everyone's entertainment.