Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #91
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
So, you figure that even a superior rider with a superior intellect is still susceptible to 25% of deer incursions?
Susceptible = yes!
Must it always result in going down onto the road = no!
The difference is in the riders ability to scrub off enough speed before impact. I've hit 2 deer in my lifetime that might fall into the "unavoidable" catagory. Walked away both times due to keeping a level head, expecting them (keeping brakes covered) not panic braking and scrubbing off enough speed both times that all I got was a little hair on my front fender and a cracked headlight lense. (as the deer was left straddeling the front wheel..mostly uninjured, to dart back into the woods)
...and despite my "luck" above, I tend to say it has more to do with skill than luck because = I CAN'T HIT THE LOTTERY TO SAVE MY LIFE!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #92
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Do you wear your sunglasses at night?
No! But I do wear my polarized lenses at night.
Side by side with my work glasses (I wear perscription lenses) you can hardly notice the tint.
They not only work great for helping to identify the road hazards I mentioned but, they also work great for fishing on overcast/T-storm days when light is limited.
I should also mention, they cut out 100% visor/windshiled glare which helps to greatly increase night time vision. (even when there's rain on the windshield or visor)

If you really want to know how much I'm worried about death or injury....keep in mind, I didn't leave the water today during some severe T-Storms with lightening hitting all around me untill I caught at least 1 really nice smallmouth bass from the Schuylkill river.

I'm definitely THE Rivercreep! (and yeah! I rode my Cycle there!)

rivercreep screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 11:39 AM
Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #93
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Sell your bike and get some crumple zones.
Crumple zones don't help me avoiding a crash. Being small and having a superior power/weight ratio does. You should have known that.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #94
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
So if he was hit during the day then it wouldn't have been avoidable??

Deere jump out in the road all times of the day.

the only way to avoid every potential motorcycle riding accident is to never get on one....
The thread topic is ATGATT and I think this example points out why some of us choose not to ride ATGATT.

The guy who was hit by a deer and killed was an experienced, seasoned, safety expert returning from a safety conference and I'm going out on a limb to assume, given his credentials, that he was riding ATGATT.

Maybe he wasn't but lets say he was. He died while riding ATGATT, so had he been MOGATT or NOGATT would he have survived. Again an assumption but probalby not. So in the example cited, ATGATT did not seem to make a difference in the outcome.

As I said before, abrasions, broken bones, and road rash I can deal with, blunt force trauma to vital areas, not so much.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #95
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
He died while riding ATGATT, so had he been MOGATT or NOGATT would he have survived. Again an assumption but probalby not. So in the example cited, ATGATT did not seem to make a difference in the outcome.

As I said before, abrasions, broken bones, and road rash I can deal with, blunt force trauma to vital areas, not so much.
He probably was; there's no magic piece of kit that will save a rider from everything chance might throw at him. I'll continue to ride with the gear that I think will protect me as well as can be expected if my riding skills aren't sufficient to avoid an accident. Your interpretation of "as well as can be expected" probably varies from mine. There's nothing wrong with that -- within the limits of the laws where you ride wear what you want.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #96
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
At least for the deer around here, there is no magic time of day when they are either more or less likely to be on the road. I've encountered deer on the road mornings, in the middle of the day, evenings and late at night on multiple occasions.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #97
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
No! But I do wear my polarized lenses at night.
Side by side with my work glasses (I wear perscription lenses) you can hardly notice the tint.
They not only work great for helping to identify the road hazards I mentioned but, they also work great for fishing on overcast/T-storm days when light is limited.
I should also mention, they cut out 100% visor/windshiled glare which helps to greatly increase night time vision. (even when there's rain on the windshield or visor)

If you really want to know how much I'm worried about death or injury....keep in mind, I didn't leave the water today during some severe T-Storms with lightening hitting all around me untill I caught at least 1 really nice smallmouth bass from the Schuylkill river.

I'm definitely THE Rivercreep! (and yeah! I rode my Cycle there!)
Rivercreep, please tell me about your polarized eyewear that you use at night. I did some searching on polarized lenses. I found polarized night glasses for sale, but the professional sources on the internet did not recommend polarized lenses for night driving. Thanks.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #98
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
At least for the deer around here, there is no magic time of day when they are either more or less likely to be on the road. I've encountered deer on the road mornings, in the middle of the day, evenings and late at night on multiple occasions.
Same here,I live in the Deer/Car crash capital of Michigan.Their is absolutely no time of day that you can take a break from watching for deer.

The worse thing is peoples natural reaction is to swerve to avoid them and in many instances they will cross into incoming traffic,as hot and humid as it can get I still wear the jacket,gloves,and FF helmet everywhere.

I don't find it comfortable but rather comforting to think that some simple precautions on gear choice may be the difference between getting to work or laying on the sofa in pain.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #99
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Rivercreep, please tell me about your polarized eyewear that you use at night. I did some searching on polarized lenses. I found polarized night glasses for sale, but the professional sources on the internet did not recommend polarized lenses for night driving. Thanks.

It's much like how even gradual tinted shields also have a no night use on them = lawsuit protection, simple as that.

Like I said, to look at mine, they look slightly smokey, that's it. All I asked the Eye Dr. for was the lightest tint available.
B.T.W. he was a private Dr. not a guy from lense crafters, pearl vision or one of the chain establishments.

F.W.I.W. they're about 6 yrs old (my vision hasn't changed) but I can't see a very light tint polarized lense NOT being available from a reputable eye Dr.
B.T.W He also didn't recommend them for night driving. I find they work perfect and I can see much better at night with them, than I can my normal glasses. Glare is what kills me more than anything. Polarized lenses are THE only solution there.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #100
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
Whats the ATG of ATGATT?
A piece of abbrasion resistant and/or armored gear over every piece of your body. Pretty simple. Covering for your feet, legs, torso, arms, hands and face/head. I don't really understand what is confusing about this. Ever heard of the belt sander test? You're not ATG if you're not OK with some dude taking a running belt sander with 40 grit paper on it to any part of your body...

Jeans, unless you are wearing armor underneath them or are kevlar lined or similar, don't count.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #101
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,747
I thought everybody was just bragging about how fast they go All The GEARS All The Time

Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #102
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
The very worst I have ever experienced was a very large and very angry bee that somehow got past my full-face shield and on down inside the back of my shirt inside my zippered jacket. So, I guess this would have been my only other option that day ...
Be grateful it wasn't a wasp, those things'll zap ya multiple times. A bee's only got one shot in 'im.
Platinumgrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #103
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
A piece of abbrasion resistant and/or armored gear over every piece of your body. Pretty simple. Covering for your feet, legs, torso, arms, hands and face/head. I don't really understand what is confusing about this. Ever heard of the belt sander test? You're not ATG if you're not OK with some dude taking a running belt sander with 40 grit paper on it to any part of your body...

Jeans, unless you are wearing armor underneath them or are kevlar lined or similar, don't count.
+1

I still don't wear pant a lot of the time if I'm running around town to work or school or whatever. I likely won't pass 45mph. I know the risk and I'm fine with that.

I have multiple one pieces, two pieces, gloves boots lids. I tend to dress for the occasion. If I'm riding for fun I'll usually have a leather 2pc with back protector on. If I'm messing around running errands or whatever, jacket, gloves, boots helmet. I can't be arsed to change completely every time I want to de-power ranger.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #104
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

I don't disagree with you, but you could also say the same thing about impact protection, the majority of serious injuries are impact related, not abrasion.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #105
marco-polo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I could careless what anyone wears but it seems a little hypocritical if an ATGATT motorcyclist also rides road bicycles without similar levels of protection. And if they do, at what point does their motorcycle gear become a costume similar to what the "pirate crowd" wears. If protection is so important why not on bicycles too.
I'm an ATGATT motorcyclist who rides road bicycles without similar levels of protection. Rides are different, trade-offs are different, so gear is different.

When I put on gear for a bicycle ride, I trade protection for heat exchange. Stick me in motorcycle leathers and I'll end up dead of heat stroke inside an hour. ATGATT is a helmet and gloves.

When I put on gear for a motorcycle ride, I trade protection for comfort and time. Looking like the michelin man or a power ranger might make me feel out of place, but mild social anxiety probably won't kill me. ATGATT is jacket, gloves, pants, helmet and boots. I occasionally wear jeans rather than pants as a time/convenience tradeoff .... but that's not a great tradeoff.
marco-polo is offline   Reply With Quote