Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #1471
Wisenheimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Ok, I'm going to comment on this as I too saw the write up about the AF330 on the Twisted Throttle website. I loved my AF330 on my 2009 GS and when I got a 2012 GS, the first thing I wanted to add/replace was the stock shield for the Givi. Boy was I disappointed when I read, according to Twisted Throttle, that it would not fit. Really, I was pissed off. I went ahead and ordered one anyway from Revzilla (because they have a generous return policy), figuring I'd 'make it work'. I went about assembly and in about 45 minutes I was done. I didn't have a single issue or need to modify the setup. I found no issue with holes being to big or a need to find large washers/o-rings/gromets at the local hardware store. It was a simple install and I have had no issues with the shield since I put it on the bike.

Thanks for this information. I've been wanting to order a AF 330 but no one could give me a definitive answer as to the fitment on a 2012 GS.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #1472
GregPoole
Gnarly Coot

Oddometer: 339
GS windscreen nirvana for a short guy

Finally! GS windscreen nirvana for a short guy.

I have tried the stock GS screen and in some instances it worked OK for me but mostly it was uncomfortable with the buffeting. Of course I'm short: 5' 6", 28-1/2" inseam.

When I got my new replacement 2012 GS I figured since I read so much positive about the Touratech Desierto 3 screen I would just go with that and be done with it. While it was a very nice albeit very expensive windscreen, it just didn't work as well for a short guy as it seemed to be working for tall guys. So I took that off an put it up for sale in the flea market.

I tried the Givi AF330 Airflow screen and while it was pretty darn nice, I still would have times when the buffeting was giving me terrible headaches. Felt like getting your head thumped around and sounded like when you're driving a car with only 1 window open, you know that "thump thump thump" sound.

Tried the Laminar Lip on the stock screen and that just didn't do it for me either. It's a great product and all but again wasn't the magic I was looking for.

Finally decided to try the Givi DT330 windscreen. It looks very similar to the AF330 but is a one-piece screen. It also uses the same mounting hardware. Along with this Givi, I also used the Tobinators to give a bit more back leaning adjustment.

Strong side winds will still cause a lot of noise and buffeting but there's really nothing you can do about that on a bike. Overall though it's about 98% there and I'm very, very happy with with this setup. Very smooth and quiet at any speed I "normally" ride at.

Only drawback I can see is during extremely hot weather, there is not much air hitting you at slow speeds. Not sure yet, but during the heat of the summer, I'll probably just get a Cee Baileys or MachineArtMoto low screen.

GregPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #1473
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Ztechnik Z2418 works pretty good for me (6'7")

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #1474
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Adjusting the Aeroflow

I have an Aeroflow on my 2009 GS. It works pretty well, but sometimes I get some helmet buffeting. I sit pretty far away from the windscreen. I'm 6'1" and when I'm on the highway, I lean back on my Russell backrest. It's primarily when doing this, and riding against the wind, that I have some buffeting.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how best to adjust the screen to smooth the airflow in this area.

Thanks for any advice.
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #1475
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,468
What do you guys use for shaping plastic? Say I buy a sheet of poly at Home Depot, and want to put some bends in it in a controlled manner.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #1476
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Want to know what made me happy with the stock GSA windscreen? Owning an RT for a year. Seriously. I had a 2007 that I always felt was a bit loud and caused more buffeting than I thought it should. I totalled that bike and replaced it with a 2007 RT. I rode with that thing in every possible position and it was always loud. Putting it all the way up was less loud but pulled me forward and forced me to look through the screen instead of over it. Anything less than all the way up and I got two different noises. One was high pitched and the other low. Moving the screen up and down was a decision of compromise between the two noises.

I finally traded that bike for a 2008 GSA with the stock screen (which is a little different than the 2007). Oh my God what a difference. Coming off the RT, the GSA just seems quiet as I could ever desire. Try riding an RT for a month or two and then get back on the GSA. You might find the stock screen is a lot better than you thought.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #1477
DownunderBrian
B2

Oddometer: 75
Wind noise

Interesting that you mention the noise. I most recently rode a Kawasaki Nomad for 4 years and just finished my first summer with the 12GS. I replaced the stock windscreen with a AF330 and have found that I have a really awful howling high pitched noise about 65 mph. After someone on this forum suggested that I had the windscreen too upright, I tried tilting it back, hopeful that it would cut the noise.. no luck.

I'm a going to have to start removing things that I've added to the bike including the AF330 - until I can isolate the source of the noise. The howling is so bad that it takes away the enjoyment from riding... and adds to fatigue. I'm going to try removing the upper part of the AF330 first, see if that changes anything... I fitted GSA winglets too and there's a nice small gap between the AF330 and the winglets that looks like a great place for a howling noise to originate... will have to remove the winglets and see if that changes anything.

I'm wearing the same helmet that I've had for 4 years and I've never had problems with that.. all the same I'm going to test my spare helmet next weekend too.

Otherwise it will be off with the AF330 and back to the stock to see if that helps (I replaced the stock very soon after I got the bike... had only done about 100 miles, so not really sure if the noise was there then of not).
DownunderBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #1478
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Oddometer: 116
I hate not being able to test a bunch of screens.

I am probably hitting the ZTechnic screen. Seemed like minimal buffeting/good coverage.

Would like to try a bunch more though . . .
Zeke013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #1479
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Talking 205

I might have asked this before, so sorry , but here it comes again:
Are there any 6 8" with 38 inseam on a GSA with the Givi 350 who thinks it's the bee's knees?
I have an Aeroflow very good and the same amount of ugly
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #1480
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I've got a lightly scratched screen for my 1150 Adventure and want to cut it down for a "summer screen".

What's the best way to cut and polish the screen and does anyone have a suggested height I should go for?

Cheers,

Matt
Couple of utubes videos on this might be of help... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0KZ...eature=related
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #1481
Zephyr20
n00b

Oddometer: 6
R1100GS MRA VarioMax Windscreen

Just installed my MRA Vario Max windshield. The difference for me from the stock is remarkably positive. I am playing with the angle a bit yet, mainly to see the difference in airflow and minimize the chance for the hand guards hitting the windshield, but I am finding a great improvement over stock at every angle.
I was not real thrilled with the 6-7 week wait for it to arrive, but I am thrilled with the performance. For what it's worth, I am 6"2 with 34" inseam and have the seat in the low position.
Rick
Zephyr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #1482
bbb_12
n00b

Oddometer: 6
just went for my first ride with an MRA Vario Touring screen (the one with a little spoiler) on my nearly new GS, after waiting nearly a month for the screen to arrive. I love this bike, but not so much in love with the stock screen. On the lowest setting the wind blast on my neck and chin is bad. If I raise it to the highest setting, the wind blast and noise isn't too bad but there's more buffeting because the screen moves further away. A couple of notches off the top is kinda OK, but not brilliant. So anyway, I did some reading and asked some questions, and I ended up buying the MRA screen.

The MRA screen looks brilliant on the Triple Black, with the black bottom fading to clear. My hopes weren't too high - a small improvement over the stock screen would have been OK, but sadly, there wasn't.

I'm about average height - about 5'11''. I tried every combination of screen and spoiler angle. With the screen two or three notches off the top, and spoiler all the way up and at the steepest angle, it was OK - but worse than the stock screen. The thing with the spoiler is that about 5 of its 7 adjustments don't seem to do much, and the gap between screen and spoiler is too big. As for the screen, it doesn't have those v-shaped bulges at the bottom, so you get more air hitting your chest, which I guess might be OK in summer. It's a shame because the MRA looks so good.

The Givi D330ST looks like it might be OK but I'm a bit gun shy now. Can't keep spending money on screens.

bbb_12 screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 02:42 PM
bbb_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #1483
manx928
n00b

Oddometer: 7
how to order ZTechnik?

Where did you get your ZTechnik, direct through their UK-based website? I was a bit frustrated by their ordering system, because it wouldn't seem to let me choose the x-tall height, just the regular height for my 2007 bike. (I'm 6'8" with a 38" inseam; which means tall seat position and sitting pretty tall; so I'm hoping to have a similarly good experience as you with windshield upgrade.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #1484
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by manx928 View Post
Where did you get your ZTechnik, direct through their UK-based website? I was a bit frustrated by their ordering system, because it wouldn't seem to let me choose the x-tall height, just the regular height for my 2007 bike. (I'm 6'8" with a 38" inseam; which means tall seat position and sitting pretty tall; so I'm hoping to have a similarly good experience as you with windshield upgrade.)
Ordered it online here: www.ascycles.com and paid $269.95 (shipped to US) in 2011.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #1485
AUSSIEADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Ztechnik ZTZ2241 - 2001 GS 1150, 6ft, inseam no idea.

Wow what a difference over stock!
Just did a four day trip over windy flat land. The lack of buffeting, noise etc was brilliant as I can suffer arthritis in the neck. I can actually hear the note of the a/m muffler now while cruising.
The bike is fitted with a GSA tank and Touratech tank bag/panniers.

AUSSIEADV is offline   Reply With Quote