User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #5341
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We found a motel

that was clean, had continental breakfast, wifi, cable, etc. After what we'd been through, we were going to indulge in a little civilization.

Dave & I had an adult beverage at the bar, while Francine was on the phone with her family.

(We know a dog in Flagstaff named Pako)

Francine joined us for a round,

and then we hit the Mexican joint across the street.

Yum...

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #5342
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 13 Stats

Day 13 .GPX file tracks are available here.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #5343
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
This was an eventful day and I took a lot of photos and video. Now I know some of you would rather have fewer vids but whatevah! I'm posting a few

The morning was beautiful, and morning riding is my favorite bit.
The camp host never used the phrase "it's a perfectly good road" so we should have known better, but we thought the toughest sections were behind us in Idaho.

There were plenty of campers at the rendezvous, many had apparently reserved spots days in advance by taping off prime spots.

We started to encounter sections that were not difficult but perhaps signs of things to come

And then...

Dave's scouting report was a "good news and bad news" explanation of what the next two miles held in store. "Nothing as bad as this section" he said "but there are a few bad bits we'll have to slog through". Good enough...let's go!

A "tough section" where Dave helped me out

This sums it up...but this is before Dave broke my bike

I was worried for a while that I'd be camping there for the night.
Francine was extremely patient with us while we were trouble shooting.
Interesting that you don't realize how concerned you were until you feel the intense relief of a successful resolution.
thanks Dave & Francine...great team work
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #5344
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 110
Videos

AlbertaStrom, post all the videos you can find. People who don't want to watch 'em don't have to watch 'em. I always appreciate having the choice. Beautiful shots.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #5345
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M9 Day 14, Friday May 25, 2012

This would be our last day riding, allowing Saturday for cushion and bike maintenance. Our objective was to head north and pick up the T2 Tour of Idaho route from the WY border and finish that up. Remember? That's how we started M9 way back when.

We awoke to dreary skies...

It had rained overnight, and it was foggy and cold. Sign says 33 degrees.

We ate our complimentary continental breakfast, and headed out into a light drizzle.

We'd be on Crow Creek Road through the Caribou National Forest for 40-50 miles, then pavement for 25miles or so through a bit of Wyoming, and then back on dirt for most of the remaining hundred miles on the TID T2 'till we split back to Idaho Falls.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #5346
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Crow Creek Road

was just the ticket. Easy riding, nice scenery, no drama.

'course the weather was crap, but we'd been pretty lucky for two weeks, who's complaining?

There were some neat interpretive signs, and we took the time to stop and read them,

They were like a book report... I don't think I've ever seen such interpretive density of information.

I'm not a history buff, I'm more a science guy, but I did my best to pay attention. You never know when there's gonna be a pop quiz.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #5347
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Through the breaks

in the clouds,

We could see fresh snow in the higher peaks,

I hoped we wouldn't run into any of that.

Whoops, another sign.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #5348
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the time

I'd actually read the whole sign,

killing time while Dave and Francine would put some distance on me,

allowing me to push the pace a little to catch up.

Whoops, another sign.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #5349
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The key

to enjoying these signs was to in no way let them detract from the scenery.

Stop and smell 'em.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #5350
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ask me now

if I remember a single word that was written on those plaques,

I will tell you honestly, no.

But that's what photos are for.

What I remember of this section was that it was easy, and pretty, but wet, and I was getting progressively chilled.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #5351
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we got closer

To Afton, we crossed through working ranches, but maybe because of the weather, it felt like the Scottish highlands to me.

Not that I've ever been to the Scottish Highlands, but I've drunk their whisky, and the degree to which the beverage reflects the terroir, I've as good as been there.

"Like the last day of the Dakar"... I crack myself up sometimes.

I thought there was a dog in the barnyard too.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #5352
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

With the higher speeds

on the pavement, we were really getting chilled. Questor was working all day, so there was no rush to get back. We got held up by some cowboys and girls.

Tell me this isn't sexy.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #5353
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We needed to drive

the chill from our bones, so when we saw this place...

We pulled in to get something warm.

she looks shell-shocked, doesn't she?

Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #5354
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We started our final

dirt section, and met with some traffic,

They soon turned off a side road.

Here we were, the start of the end. The eastern origin of the T2 trail.

Somehow, I didn't anticipate it would be as challenging as, say, Bruneau canyon or anything.

The roads were nicely graded,

Nice and easy.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #5355
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I thought this was interesting

I wonder if it's a recent phenomenon with the rising price of gold?

The weather was still crap, gotta say.

but every once in awhile we'd get a break in the clouds,

or see some blue sky,

it was a nice route.