ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #46
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
It should, they are wider (front to rear) in the cradle.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #47
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
I used a stock KTM rfs decompression cable and lever (any hot start or decamp should work)

It's not good looking but it's functional. I need to machine the whole setup out of Al, but this was quick to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTBnl...ature=youtu.be



jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #48
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 797
Looks a little bit complicated to me?
I would take the decomppression unit of an rotax engine, there you only have to mount the cable:

Here:
http://www.bmz.fr/boutique/haut-mote...l16--2704.html
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #49
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Looks a little bit complicated to me?
I would take the decomppression unit of an rotax engine, there you only have to mount the cable:

Here:
http://www.bmz.fr/boutique/haut-mote...l16--2704.html
It looks cleaner w/o the hose clamp, but the clamp is all that would be removed from my current setup.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #50
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 797
The clamp is certainly a problem in the optical design. My intension are about the use or maintance, the way the deco is used now is pulling and open the deco, then starting the engine wjile pulling the öever to close the valve again.

The setup I mentioned and is used for Rotax engines for example is one action, a spring holds permanently the valve closed, by pulling the lever you open the the valve, when you loose grip to the lever the valve will automatical close again. Isn't this much more comfertable and easier to use?
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #51
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
The clamp is certainly a problem in the optical design. My intension are about the use or maintance, the way the deco is used now is pulling and open the deco, then starting the engine wjile pulling the öever to close the valve again.

The setup I mentioned and is used for Rotax engines for example is one action, a spring holds permanently the valve closed, by pulling the lever you open the the valve, when you loose grip to the lever the valve will automatical close again. Isn't this much more comfertable and easier to use?
AHH! I understand what you were referring to. You are misunderstanding how the valve works. It closes by itself once the engine fires (or you release the lever while kicking) From the compression/combustion pressure. Pulling the lever opens the valve.

I only manually closed it in the video to show it's operation.

jar944 screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 11:28 AM
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #52
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 797
I hope this mechanism works (closes) well without any spring. When the spring is loosing tension it will get spitty around the deco in my experience, (This happend after a decade or so). They also have the tendency too loosen. I therefore check them once or twice a year if they still sit thight.

PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #53
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
I hope this mechanism works (closes) well without any spring. When the spring is loosing tension it will get spitty around the deco in my experience, (This happend after a decade or so). They also have the tendency too loosen. I therefore check them once or twice a year if they still sit thight.

It closes too well, I needed to add the cable as light kicking was causing it to close before I wanted.

The valve is the standard Sthil type saw valve that is used in everything from chain saws to Harley Davidson V-twins. It has a detent that engages in the closed position to assist closing and keep it closed. This is the specific valve recommended by the Cr500 community.

Also the valves themselves are only $12, so if needed can be replaced (or spares kept) cheaply.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #54
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 797
Ahh kind of semi automatic
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #55
robertr6
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2
What I have been waiting for!

Would you be able to make the spacers and mounts? I have a cr500 engine and I think I may be able to get my buddies blown up 08 xcf for a reasonable price. If so, what would the price range be??
robertr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #56
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertr6 View Post
Would you be able to make the spacers and mounts? I have a cr500 engine and I think I may be able to get my buddies blown up 08 xcf for a reasonable price. If so, what would the price range be??
Sorry I don't even have enough free time to work on all of my own projects.

average price on a blown rf4 is about $1000-1500
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #57
flying frenchie
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
I managed to get the cases back together, The silencer changed to a 1.25" core, and a new outlet in the head.



Hi.i m doing a cr500 ktm project too. 94 engine with a sxf 450 2008 frame. It s welded painted put together almost completly. I m waiting for the air boot and griphics. I notice that the cdi u r using ( the part attached to the frame and connected to the spark plug) is not the original one and fit perfect on the frame mount. Where does it come from? Also my brake pedal is a little too close from the case, did u have to bend it too? I really like ur blog it help me a lot on my builng. I should have it running next week end. My engine was nothing like urs, just did top end. I also have different radiators, from a xc i think, so i ll run some different hose and use the two holes on the head. I didnt have to mod much the pipe and silenceur either. Lucky on that one. Thx
flying frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #58
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
AHH! I understand what you were referring to. You are misunderstanding how the valve works. It closes by itself once the engine fires (or you release the lever while kicking) From the compression/combustion pressure. Pulling the lever opens the valve.

I only manually closed it in the video to show it's operation.
There is no real need for a lever at all surely? Guy I know uses chainsaw de-compressor valves on large capacity 4T MX bikes, and once the valve is set it closes automatically when the motor starts.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #59
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
There is no real need for a lever at all surely? Guy I know uses chainsaw de-compressor valves on large capacity 4T MX bikes, and once the valve is set it closes automatically when the motor starts.
The compression is so high it closes the valve before the bike fires. I could modify the valve to stay open longer however I wanted a lever to remove the need to "find" the decomp every time I want to start it. It also makes bump starting after a stall very easy.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #60
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying frenchie View Post
Hi.i m doing a cr500 ktm project too. 94 engine with a sxf 450 2008 frame. It s welded painted put together almost completly. I m waiting for the air boot and griphics. I notice that the cdi u r using ( the part attached to the frame and connected to the spark plug) is not the original one and fit perfect on the frame mount. Where does it come from? Also my brake pedal is a little too close from the case, did u have to bend it too? I really like ur blog it help me a lot on my builng. I should have it running next week end. My engine was nothing like urs, just did top end. I also have different radiators, from a xc i think, so i ll run some different hose and use the two holes on the head. I didnt have to mod much the pipe and silenceur either. Lucky on that one. Thx
You mean the coil (not the CDI) the coil is the stock KTM, with a 2t plug cap.

Yes the brake pedal was bent out a couple mm to clear the case.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014