User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #76
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Jimmy,
Curious did you run or have you plans to run TKC's with the 21/18 setup?
Currently I am running the TKC front with a Heideneau K60 rear and am really happy with the feel
Solid predictable wet/dry street feel and tractable enough in the dirt for now. Even at street pressures.
Haven't done enough dirt with this to have a sound opinion but with the TKC'S front/rear I have and found them to be very predictable in all terrain.
I ageee with the MT21. That was the first front I ran and it worked well but you sure could feel it at the limits when riding hard. It also was chewed through in no time...
I am still running the 21/17 setup but am leaning towards the 18 when I have Woody relace this rear end of the year.
I agree the ride height takes some getting used to but honestly it still feels pretty balanced to me.
Course I am certainly not the rider you are so hell it could have square wheels and I might still like it
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #77
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,327
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
One correction to the above is that the wheelbase does not change with the 21/18 set, but it feels like it does (gets slightly longer) and the seat height goes up just a bit. I did not measure the increase but I could tell. The bike does lean over just a little farther on the side stand but not enough for concern.

JIMMY

hi folks,,just got home safe n sound from a 3 month sabbatical so to speak

1,,,when the bike is set up 21 / 17 the front end rises circa 1'' which essentially increases the trail theoretically making it more stable ie track easier in a straight line,,,the seat raises circa 3/8 inch....i myself have reverted to this set up,,namely because,,i have a short inseam,,and in the technical rocky stuff,,,the 18 rear raised the the gearing thus necessitating a lot of clutch action,,and when i can't dab the ground ,,well ,i hate falling over,,,so for me the 21'' sealed the deal in how i prefer the bike to handle in the dirt,,,and i'm no sloooow poke,,so in the context of how and where i ride,,,i"m a happy chappy,,,OBTW,,i dig the street legal Dunlop Rallye Raids running 34PSI,,,,i like em on the street and dirts as well,,,caveat:,,,what you read in our reports are the feedback and impressions of folks ranging from world class champions like Jimmy to my local hot-shoe side kick /assistant/wheel build ace zach,,,my self and hosts of other ADV riders using this set-up...i am positive Jimmy ran these set-ups above and beyond my current skill sets...the point i'm trying to make,,is that just because i feel comfy does not necessarily mean jimmy feels comfy with it,,,same goes for tire selection,,,What i do KNOW,,is that their is more solid info in Jimmy's post,,for all of us to make better decisions with...Thanks again Jimmy

2,,,the seat height goes up circa .5-1'' depending on which set up ya use

this of course will make the bike lean over a little more,,which can be compensated for by:

3,,,we have offered adjustable or modified side-stands for years,,i"ll see if i can find a link to the thread about em,,,i believe we will modify your side-stand to the range you want ,,weld a nice big foot on it to boot for $99 plus S&H or extend yours with big foot for $60 or if just needs shortening for $40,,,those prices are off the top of my head

FYI;;;here's another company that makes a nice unit circa $350,,haven't seen or tested one
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726974

what's neat about the adjustable unit is its versatility,,,BWOE,,it's a no brainer that going from 17 to 21 and back again will cause the bike to lean over at a different angle,,,NOW visualize the difference between solo riding and fully loaded and fully loaded with a big passenger BWOE,,,i noticed that the bike with standard side-stand will lean over more and sometimes it get's too vertical ,,,no sweat,,i just put the bike on the center-stand grab the foot of side-stand turn counterclockwise to take pressure off the jam nut (i never tighten the jam nut with a wrench) and re-adjust it for optimal lean angle.

and thanks Jimmy for taking the time n energy to throw some experienced light on the 21'' issue.

woody

PS,,,i have been taken to task by some in other forums that my wheels and or suggested sizing diameters and widths to accommodate any type of riding you want to do are the end all /do all solution to your bikes performance,,,,that BWOE i should have a forewarning disclosure statement like: 'suspension improvements would serve you better..'.

Folks,,,it's Woody's Wheel Works...NOT woody's suspension or anything else works

'The chain is as strong as the weakest link'....

i know certain bikes have all kind of other issues that need upgrading and/or replacement,,,Zach just spent a grand for some Ohlins
on our shop bike because he could ride it so much faster and easier on the 21/18 setup... the stock suspension couldn't handle it,,thus it became the the next weakest link,,,

the ultimate trick is to have a well balanced machine,,all systems working harmoniously together for the kind of riding you do,,,

all i want to do is give you wheels that have been designed and tested to enhance your performance and enjoyment,,,OBTW and 'bult to last' and while we're at it why not make em purty
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 05:11 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #78
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Totally agree with Woody on the suspension...
My next investment is a spring rate change then eventually a shock body change when my suspension guy Alex at Konflict motorsports sorts out an ESA setup.
The wheel change just happened to be my first step.
2005 F650GS
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #79
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 498
The Metzeler Karoo is pretty similar to the TKC 80s just a little better off-road and quicker wearing on-road. Since the goal of the 21/18 is off-road performance I went with the Metezlers but overall the difference is small. The Hideneau is not agressive enough in the open spaces between the blocks for me to feel safe when I'm asking a lot of the tire on the dirt. It makes a huge difference for me off-road. But they last a long time...

It was very interesting to me how the stability went up with the 18" rear when it gave the bike less rake but I ride pretty balanced and not over the back so maybe it let me relax more to still have the weight I want on the front?

I run Race Tech GS3 shocks front and rear, FYI. These are the best of the replacement shocks I have found. It is a big improvident over any others I have tried especially in the damping control available from the shock and they come valved and sprung correctly.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #80
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

I agree the K60 is 50/50 at best and certainly not an ageessive off road tire. I was just wondering if you had played with it at all.
2005 F650GS
Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #81
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

21/18 set-up using Excel A-60s..

well,,lo n behold,,,while i was gone Zach decided to take my Monzter R1200GS and give it alil hopping up by farkling a new crash-bar,,a set of Ohlins,,and a new set of Superlaced,,Superlite wheels,,sporting shiny black excel A-60 rims size 1.6x21 front and 2.15 x18 rear shod with 90/90 x21 front /140/80x18 rear...

WHAT??? a 2.15 rear???,,so Zach clued me in that the bike handled even better in the dirt with the narrower rim but wore the center out quicker while on the highway,,,then showed me several other super happy HP-2 riders sporting the wheels he built while i was gone,,,followed by pointing out all the KTM 550's etc came with that rim width and tire combo from the factory,,,

goes to show ya,,,i got to learn something new everyday,,,well that makes it easy for us now,,to provide the hard core off-roaders the A-60 rim sets,,it'll be cheaper too because we'd always have to add re-anodizing charges for the rear 2.5x18 rim. the A-60s are light AND tougher by circa 15% than the double sig excels.

FYI..the 18 rear that Jimmy had was our previous 2.5x18,,,for the guys spending alot of pavement time getting to n from their dirt playgrounds liek the wider 3.5x18 tire profile and stability on the road...

Bottom line,,is we can fine tune rim widths and diameters that serve you better.
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 02:11 AM
Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #82
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 584
I really like the feedback everyone provides on this thread. I'll hopefully be ordering a wheel or two over sometime in the not so distant future when ever I get back across the pond.
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #83
romanek72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Another Happy camper

Photobucket

I'm not sure about poor animals that are killed for meat in Africa,
sad but true.
I'm very pleased with 21inch wheel from Woody!
Huge improvement over stock 19ich especially when traveling
in third world country's where roads are bad and you can always buy 21inch tire.
So far over 12000miles without any problems not even flats!
Thank you very much Woody and all the friendly, very helpful staff in Woody wheel shop in Denver.

romanek72 screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 11:50 AM
romanek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #84
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

hey jimmy,,,here's your next test bike,,the WW &WWW 21/18 Super Tenere

just returned from the RMAR rallye in Silverton Colordo,,,spent the last 5days running around some of the most wonderful ie FULL of Wonder scenery,,,fresh crisp air,,,,ohhhhh what a treat compared to the pressure cooker of a place callled saigon,,,
and here's what i wished i had been riding,,,tell me when you are up for a test,,,

OBTW i designed a plate to adapt the TCS system to the front Superlite hub,,,thanks to popular demand,,it ALL works better than flawless

here ya go

woody

PS some links

wasp-mans thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933

and mine:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759952
Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #85
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
just returned from the RMAR rallye in Silverton Colordo,,,spent the last 5days running around some of the most wonderful ie FULL of Wonder scenery,,,fresh crisp air,,,,ohhhhh what a treat compared to the pressure cooker of a place callled saigon,,,
and here's what i wished i had been riding,,,tell me when you are up for a test,,,

OBTW i designed a plate to adapt the TCS system to the front Superlite hub,,,thanks to popular demand,,it ALL works better than flawless

here ya go

woody

PS some links

wasp-mans thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933

and mine:

OOOOOOOOOOOH! Now that version may get me off my GSA

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #86
MMMOTORCYCLE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
I was about to put my GS-Adventure up for sale to buy a more off road worthy 990Adv when I saw this post!

I want to clarify that this is simply a swap and i can swap back and forth between the 21/18 and stock 19/17 without issues. I put Ohlins on earlier this year...issues with the 18 rear rubbing?

In addition to Woodys wheels...i would need brake rotors, ABS ring, anything else?

As for the front fender removal. Would a piece of pre-filter foam zip tied inside the fairing work? (might be eaier to show in a picture than me trying to describe)

Mike
WR144-Too much fun to be street legal!
CRF70F-for the kids

MMMOTORCYCLE screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 12:04 PM
MMMOTORCYCLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #87
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

simply a swap????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMOTORCYCLE View Post
I was about to put my GS-Adventure up for sale to buy a more off road worthy 990Adv when I saw this post!

I want to clarify that this is simply a swap and i can swap back and forth between the 21/18 and stock 19/17 without issues. I put Ohlins on earlier this year...issues with the 18 rear rubbing?

In addition to Woodys wheels...i would need brake rotors, ABS ring, anything else?

As for the front fender removal. Would a piece of pre-filter foam zip tied inside the fairing work? (might be eaier to show in a picture than me trying to describe)

Mike
hi ,,,the mandatory stuff that needs doing

1,,if ya go here you'll see that wasp-man describes the modification to front sensor holder plate somewhere in here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809

or here.

essentially removing 1mm off the inside corner of the plate,,

2,,there's the bit about getting a higher fender

3,,and the front brake line kit wasp-man designed

4,,i think that's it,,reguires no special tools,,,once done ya can swap whhel assys in minutes

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 02:08 AM
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #88
MMMOTORCYCLE
Studly Adventurer

Woody,
I just want to clarify...

the links you sent were reference the Yamaha Tenere, does Wasp's mod apply to the BMW R1200GS-ADV as well?

I have an '07 GS-Adventure if it makes any difference.

Thanks
Mike
CRF70F-for the kids
Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #89
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Mike,
All you really need is the wheels.
Everything else you can swap as needed.
I can go from dirt to street or vise versa in 30 minutes or so swapping rotors.
Another set of rotors knocks that down by about 15 minutes I would guess.
2005 F650GS
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #90
MMMOTORCYCLE
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitenfyr View Post
Mike,
All you really need is the wheels.
Everything else you can swap as needed.
I can go from dirt to street or vise versa in 30 minutes or so swapping rotors.
Another set of rotors knocks that down by about 15 minutes I would guess.
Thanks
CRF70F-for the kids