Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #166
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,581
Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Because of scarce fuel stations?
Even Oregon sometimes has a bit of distance between service stations.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #167
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Where did you get your seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Sorry, that was when new, they now have 11,000 miles on them but I cheated, I did them all in 21 days. Riding back and forth to Starbucks would have taken too long

CharlieFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #168
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFox View Post
Where did you get your seat?
Corbin, eBay. Thought I'd hate the step but on steep strip mine hills it holds me well. The Corbin on my Transalp sucks because it has piping on seams that dig in when standing. Works well everywhere except on the mx track.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #169
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Australia?

In the Yukon there was a 270 mile buildingless stretch that required a spare can for my buddies stock 950

Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #170
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
You should send that picture to Francois at DualSportTouring. He'd get a kick out of seeing his sticker on the bike.
He was super cool in hooking me up with them. I proudly advertised for his help.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #171
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,708
Long distance without supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Australia?
My God !
being European and more so from a small country-Greece- these empty spaces make me dizzy... seems preparation is lifesaving.
Do you dare go out there on your own?
Jesus!
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #172
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
My God !
being European and more so from a small country-Greece- these empty spaces make me dizzy... seems preparation is lifesaving.
Jesus!
That is Harney County, in Oregon.

With an area of 10,226 square miles, and a population of 7422, it has just enough people that if you stay near a road, someone should find you before you die.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #173
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
My God !
Jesus!
I want these tanks

I ride alone in the California desert and I always pack as if I will have to survive for two days even when motel planning, always bring warm enough clothes to sleep in or sleeping bag, cook stove food and water an artificial fire log, firearm for the packs of hungry coyotes that come out at night, , a man can walk 20 miles a day (3miles an hour) so I dont worry
On a recent trip to Death Valley off road , I ran out of daylight riding 250 miles of dirt, it was getting cold and I was geting low on gas , the gas stop I planned was a 2 hour detour from my planned motel destination, about 60miles of dirt road left to go, so I gambled on taking the major highway instead , saw lights 25 miles ahead as I went on reserve, turned out it was only a whore house and store, no gas. Thankfully I had a 1.5 gallon Kolpin can in my Wolfman packs and barely made it to the next gas on fumes,
Sure wish I had the big Aqualine tanks, KTM should have made them that size stock , could have fininshed the dirt ride at nite

Dustodust screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 11:12 AM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #174
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
...the gas stop I planned was a 2 hour detour from my planned motel destination, so I gambled on taking the major highway instead...
This is often the situation in Oregon, too. The stock tank will get you from one station to the next, but I don't want to ride just from station to station- too much else to see. Plus, remote stations that were open on the last trip, might not be open on the current trip.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #175
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,519
Got the tanks on a couple of days ago and was able to try and fill them today and placed a few reference marks as I filled it,
got to ten gallons and still not full. Installation was easy and all the mounting holes lined up perfectly, prior to fuel of course.
No leaks and the bike started right up

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #176
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Got the tanks on a couple of days ago and was able to try and fill them today and placed a few reference marks as I filled it,
got to ten gallons and still not full. Installation was easy and all the mounting holes lined up perfectly, prior to fuel of course.
No leaks and the bike started right up
AWESOME !!!
You'll be bouncing off trees in no time

11.5 gallons from the OP photo is the most I have ever put in.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #177
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,021
They were dry!!!! (I ran out a half mile away from the station and was able lay the bike on its side and get enough into the bowls to make it to the station.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #178
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 624
First full fill on my Safari tanks...

When installing my new tanks (just before Christmas) I had a little over three gallons left over from the stock tanks that I put in a fuel tank. Of that, I used compressed air and a couple pints to wash out the new tank's possible shavings. Once installed, I dumped the rest back into the tanks to check for leaks and then rode it for one short afternoon ride... then it started to snow.

Last week was the first time I was able to ride to work and on Saturday the fuel light came on. (My light seems to come on with only a half-gallon left?) I rode about four miles with the fuel light on and then filled them up... I put 11.7 gallons in those tanks with the fuel just at the bottom of the raised threaded tops. Not really sure what was left in them before I tried to fill them, but I am thinking these will easily hold 12 gallons conservatively!

I am one happy camper (once the snows melt).

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #179
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Gotta throw a couple small thoughts out there...

I have sold race gas to road racers (SCCA) for quite a few years, and have had the privilege of getting to hang out with chemists from various fuel companies.. couple things they told me.

1. Gas is IR/UV sensitive.. You can prove it for yourself, put a half cup in a jar in the sun for a hour.. Especially race, it will start to precipitate the additive package out of the fuel. It does not hurt as long as the fuel is used right away, and kept agitated.. Wondering if anybody with the clear tanks has noticed any issues? Becasue I've seen race gas go bad in a day in the white moto cans.

2. Racequipe now says to NEVER leave fuel in a fuel cell, they can't find a material that resists the combination of the ethanol AND the octane package sin the newer gasolines and pump gas is the worst offender of breaking down the fuel cell bladder seams (They are made and glued together in sections...)

3. Mixing pump gas and race gas is a bad thing. The additive packages are generally NOT compatible, street gas is formulated to reduce evaporation, race gas is designed to evaporate fast. in most cases the octane contributors in race fuel and street fuel are not additive, they are subtractive. So mix 92 street with 104 race and you could get 89... The formulas in street fuel change constantly (IE weekly) because they buy the cheapest chemical available on a commodity market and is blended at the distributor by the truck driver... Race fuel is refined to a higher base octane and the package is blended at the refinery by chemists to get quality control, and usually only changes slightly throughout the year.

Well cheers. Hope my ramblings are useful....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #180
pvmoto
Instagram @ pvmoto

Oddometer: 330
I'm in 2 minds about my tanks. I love the way they look on the bike and I love the extra range.....
But
In the hot Australian summer I've been stranded for days waiting for the tank to come into shape enough to remount, I've had continuous fuel leaks from around the fuel pump. I've had several gaskets fail and the top mount on my bike is broken/bent from the expansion. I've had all these issues with the fuel pump side not the other. Im sure its a problem with that particular side. Deaf ears at Safari tanks though, they just send more gaskets to fix the leak and they disintegrate within weeks. I've cut a cork gasket and that's working nicely.
For the price you pay for these things I just expected a little more.