Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Great start Scott! Just got the camera cords and am working on it.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #17
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,037
Day 3 –Monday, July 23, 2012 –Bear Lake Utah to Sulpher Campground, Ut

Got up and broke camp and ran the first off-road section for us (N to S), it actually had some intermediate technical stuff in it. But was a lot of fun, and nice to have some challenges. Soon after it opened up as we ran into Woodruff Ut. From there we decided to run down to Evanston WY and grab some grub there. Ended up in some bar right downtown (lots of glass block – which I find is a good thing to look for in old bars), and began to stink the place up while drinking some lunch – we washed the beer down with some sandwiches also.

Early Morning Ridin

More like it

Things get drier

Our first red rocks

Evanston had everything you need, including some chain lube at the local Yammy shop. Nice guys there, can’t remember the name –can’t be more than one. Got some gas, and decided to load up on some cool drinks and ice for camp, but of course, being Wyoming we were told, you have to go to a liquor store to buy beer. What are we in the Bible belt or something? So we do that, and decide to pick up a new camping buddy…Captain Morgan.

Why-oming

South of Evanston we pick up our first alternate sections. The first one lead to a deceptively deep water crossing. I think the rains made a bit more water than normal. Jessie barreled into it going about 30 and about kissed his front fender, but a big hop later and he bounced out of the deep water. Of course, John goes bezerker on the crossing and guns it for a different section, the water goes up to his tank and stalls him out, but he keeps it upright. A few tense minutes of cranking and he’s out of the crossing also. I wuss out and tip toe across it like a little girl. We then strip down and use the crossing for a makeshift Jacuzzi tub. There was pretty good flow in it so it stayed clear and cold which felt great after the heat that had built in Wyoming.

After lunch, back to Utah

Don’t know what I’m doing here, but I’m not doin it very fast

The next expert section appeared to be a short rocky hill climb easily by-passed, and since dark clouds were threatening, we made a run south to some campgrouns up by Mirror Lake. We stop at one that looked like it had our main preferences (Crapper, Creek, Table and Firering). I believe it was called Sulphur. Soon after we arrive, the heavens opened up on us – I made a quick dash for the tent just in time, but left my boots out to get soaked. John went looking for wood and came back with a couple of pyromanics from the next campsite, and they proceeded to build a roaring white gas fire in no time. The rain passes after an hour or so and it dries right up and we have a great evening of camaraderie – and some Pirate Plunder (See Capt Morgan reference above)

Nice Camping at Sulfer Campgroung

Next, up Camping in Canyons.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
Scott, good stuff so far, wow two weeks of adventure, life is good

very much looking forward to the rest of your trip...

btw, the trail wings sitting in my garage have your name on them if still interested
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #19
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
also, that lightning pic is front page material, nice shot!
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Scott, good stuff so far, wow two weeks of adventure, life is good

very much looking forward to the rest of your trip...

btw, the trail wings sitting in my garage have your name on them if still interested
Sorry, I kinda forgot about the Trailwings, what was the deal with those again?

I was running Shinko's on my WR (Seemed okay actually), but had some Kenda's shipped to Moab, that I had installed on my trip (Didn't really need them at that point, but didn't want to carry them, or pay to ship them back home). So far like the Kenda's. Asrvivor, had shipped Trailwings to have installed in Moab, which I think were the same as the stockers. I didn't think they were too bad. I'm thinking I don't know squat about tires - Short of bald ones, or using road tires off-road, I don't notice much difference between the above.

-= Scott

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
Pr0xy
Shreddin' the gnar

Oddometer: 341
Neato. I'm tuned in.

A few of us are going on a ride early next month between southern CO and Grand Teton... might try to incorporate some of what you guys have done.

'88 KDX 200 - Restoring
Rides :: Albuquerque to Vegas 2011 | Colorado 2009 | SLAP 2009
Pr0xy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post

South of Evanston we pick up our first alternate sections. The first one lead to a deceptively deep water crossing. I think the rains made a bit more water than normal. Jessie barreled into it going about 30 and about kissed his front fender, but a big hop later and he bounced out of the deep water. Of course, John goes bezerker on the crossing and guns it for a different section, the water goes up to his tank and stalls him out, but he keeps it upright. A few tense minutes of cranking and he’s out of the crossing also. I wuss out and tip toe across it like a little girl. We then strip down and use the crossing for a makeshift Jacuzzi tub. There was pretty good flow in it so it stayed clear and cold which felt great after the heat that had built in Wyoming.

Hey Scott,
is this the water crossing?

Man, it was really moving back on july 8th. And, deep.
I threw a big rock into the dark section and it made a pretty loud (and long) "PLUUUNK!"

We decided it was moving too fast for us, so we went around and crossed on the road.

Bet it made a great bath, though!
Thanks for the report - it's fun to read about the trail North to South.
(nice lightning shot, too!)

kelly

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,386
In !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

That's the one LittleWan, thanks for the picture. It wasn't too bad to the far right, but the Center and Left where John and Jessie went in was a bit..."epic". There were some sections of this ride that were a little tough and I kept thinking of you guys coming through there two up on a 990. We're noobs by your standards.

I see you've started your report also...YAY! I LOVE YOUR REPORTS! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817794

-= Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hey Scott,
is this the water crossing?

Man, it was really moving back on july 8th. And, deep.
I threw a big rock into the dark section and it made a pretty loud (and long) "PLUUUNK!"

We decided it was moving too fast for us, so we went around and crossed on the road.

Bet it made a great bath, though!
Thanks for the report - it's fun to read about the trail North to South.
(nice lightning shot, too!)

kelly

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Day 4 –Tuesday, July 24, 2012 – Sulpher Campground, Ut to Camelot!

A few rainstorms over the night gave way to a beautiful morning sunrise…so John says. What can I say, I’m a good sleeper in the woods. Even with the Bear Warning signs all over, the campground was a great place to stay. The ground was soft, the spot was large, and there was a nice creek right behind camp.

Sulpher Campground

Big Mountains

Wasn't he warmest morning

Gittin High

Nice Views, but that sky is looking dark

Soon we jumped back on the road to the first 10,000ft pass (Bald Mountain Pass). Afterwards we pass a number of great campgrounds and pretty lake scenes. This part of Utah was stunning. Near Lake Washington we jumped on another Alternate route. This one was one of the more difficult ones. No crashes, but some nervous moments. I was pretty glad I was on the little 250.

The alternate section got a little technical

Some more pretty country came our way after that Alternate Section. Lunch then got on our mind, so we ran off the route to go into Heber City to gas up and grab a bite to eat. Can’t remember the bar we tried to eat at, but poor Jessie’s lost wallet nixed that idea when the bitchy waitress chased us off. Instead we found some Mexican Food and had a great lunch.

Wierd sightings in the sky

Pretty scenery abounds

A couple hours down the road we run into the Awesome Timber Canyon.

As it’s getting late we start looking for a campsite, and after a few unsuccessful looks, we come across Camelot…literally. This was an awesome resort with a nice swimming hole, flush bathrooms, power and SHOWERS. Yay. Happy Boyz. Took the opportunity to charge up our devices and do some laundry.

The scenery was knocked me off my feet

Tomorrow…Jessie rearranges bike parts…the hard way.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
Nomomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Nice report. I'm in.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330

Where's the rest?

....This, from the guy that never finished my last year's big moto-vacation RR....
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
very nice. we'll have a COBDR for ya next spring and a AZBDR shortly after that.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Nice. We could have used one for Colorado. As it was I picked up the Butler Colorado map at Moab Powerports, and we followed much of the "Recommended Dual Sport Route" that was running N to S in the rockies. That area North of Rifle was especially awe inspiring.

Keep up the good work.

-= Scott

Old 08-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
70,000 miles in Asrvivor's DR650...WOW!

Just curious about John's (asrvivor) high milage DR650. Could you give us some background on your maintenence and any major work, rebuilds or parts replacement along the miles. I am on my second DR650 and love the bike.

By the way, great ride report and photos. Ain't the Southwest a great place to ride?

Ride safe,

Taz
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote