Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #211
ilyaon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
The BMW number looks correct if a valve clearance check is included. It makes sense that the Triumph is more. 4 more valves to check. For the BMW find TDC, check 1 cylinder, rotate 360 and do the other.

For a Triumph, the crank has to be be rotated 2 times to check all 3 cylinders. The Triumph has shim under bucket. Remove the cams then the bucket to get to them. It is just more labor intensive.

As far as moto mag evaluations, that one is the best. More data and some explanation as to why. Mostly because I agree with it.

A couple of errors. No knock sensor on the BMW. Valve checks at 20,000 km not miles. All the rest is true. It does have a low rpm abrupt throttle. $250 will buy you a Throttle tamer and a fuel module and no more problem.
Thank you for your input.
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #212
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Have a buddy that recently took his Tiger to Colorado. Has major issues at high altitude. Stopped running. Dealer thinks a mapping issue... However, he wad running with a F800GS and it had no Probs.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #213
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
we have been on both bikes and with the Tiger it's a more comfortable ride as you sit into the bike rather on the bike...what I mean is the seat set up on the Tigers is more like a touring seat and position rather than a dirt bike like the BMW F650GS and 800GS. All depends on how you want to ride and where. The GS is better on more technical off road stuff in our opinion than the Tigers but the Tiger took us to Alaska and back and we hit every "bad" road there is up there and it did fine. WE had the stalling issue last summer and when we got back 10 days post Alaska there was the world wide recall.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #214
mattsl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Have a buddy that recently took his Tiger to Colorado. Has major issues at high altitude. Stopped running. Dealer thinks a mapping issue... However, he wad running with a F800GS and it had no Probs.
Simply cannot base a rounded opinion based on a buddies experience. Issues do arise with any machine.

Live not to far from you and spend most of the time in the Ozarks. I have had my Tiger.....with other GS's....on tours out west a few times with no problems. First trip last summer was with the standard tune and pipe. Absolutely no problems. Last week I returned from Salt Lake via Steamboat to Salida with Leo pipe and Arrow tune. Again, no problems.

You buddy must have had a mapping issue or an issue with the stepper motor. The dealer should be able to get that resolved.

This is not to say that the bike doesn't have problems. Every bike has problems including the GS. That is not debatable.
mattsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #215
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I can tell you that if you love going off road the 21" front wheels on the available adventure bikes is worth it.
For me The F800GS or 990 Adventure are the best two options with best ground clearance and off road handling in the category.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #216
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
I have a friend, who's friend, who's friend, has problems with his tiger. (sorry i couldn't resist)

I was just in colorado, wyoming, montana, the dokotas.... on my tiger and another one. no problems.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #217
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
You won't regret either one.

I wrestled with this very same decision not more than a few weeks ago.

In the end, I went with whatever better deal came along first - which happened to be a 2009 BMW F800GS.

I have zero regrets.

That being said, had I bought the Tiger, I probably would also have zero regrets.

By all accounts these bikes are very similar - picking the better one is an exercise in splitting hairs.

Get whichever you get a better deal on is my advice.
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #218
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I did all the reseach on the Tiger and had made my mind up that that was the bike for me. Everyone said that after a test ride you will buy one. I organised a test ride on the XC and off I went to the dealer. Coming from a DR650 my intial impression was wow this is big in comparison, the front of the bike seemed so far away compared with the DR.
I was impressed with the power over the single pot I'd been used to but I must say I did not get the exitement feeling I was expecting from what all that I had read. The whistling engine note was also not really my cup of tree, although I know plenty of people love the unique Triumph Triple note.
I rode back to the dealer and told him my impressions, he said why not take the demo F650 out for a spin to compare, I was reluctant at first as I really had my heart set on the Tiger, but what the hell I thought.
As soon as I set off on the F650 I felt more "at home" and was flicking it between lanes in busy city traffic in no time, It also sounded better to me and even my missus said that sounds more like it when I dropped by the house as I had done half an hour earlier on the Tiger.
On returning to the dealer I was still disapointed that I had not took to the Tiger as I thought I would have done but then started to question the dealer on which he thought was the best bike of the two. He sold both so did not knock either of them but just said....... Look it comes down to personal choice and everyone is different in their taste and requirements etc. If we were all the same then they would just make one bike that suits everyone and that would be it.
I thought about this and for me the F650 did definately feel more of a fit for me, I would have liked to take a non XC Tiger out ot compare but it was not an option so I went away to think about. I ordered an F700GS three weeks later and await its arrival.
Cheers
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #219
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
I wrestled with this very same decision not more than a few weeks ago.

In the end, I went with whatever better deal came along first - which happened to be a 2009 BMW F800GS.

I have zero regrets.

That being said, had I bought the Tiger, I probably would also have zero regrets.

By all accounts these bikes are very similar - picking the better one is an exercise in splitting hairs.

Get whichever you get a better deal on is my advice.
Very well put.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #220
jimmy mac
mac attack

Oddometer: 5
xc vs. gs

it seems as though triumph took a long look at the best bike in this class , BMW's gs800, found its points that needed to be addressed and built the same bike without the issues. I am trying to decided between the two, wish the xc had a little more time under its belt, but all in all after extensive research , I think I will buy the feline. as the brit's say--- that tripple is like a peach.
jimmy mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #221
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy mac View Post
it seems as though triumph took a long look at the best bike in this class , BMW's gs800...
They sure did. Probably what bothers me the most about the Tiger is that it looks so much like an F8 it's hard to tell them apart from certain angles. Blatant copying. I'll just nickname the Tiger "Microsoft", and the F8GS "Apple".
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #222
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
They sure did. Probably what bothers me the most about the Tiger is that it looks so much like an F8 it's hard to tell them apart from certain angles. Blatant copying. I'll just nickname the Tiger "Microsoft", and the F8GS "Apple".
Thems fightin words!!! (about the Microsoft apple thing, not the F8 tiger thing... Tiger is an F8 copy :)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #223
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Thems fightin words!!! (about the Microsoft apple thing, not the F8 tiger thing...
I'm a computer guy, can you tell? :)
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #224
daytripper1970_au
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyaon View Post
Have anyone compared how much does it cost for maintenance 800Xc vs F800GS?
The only information I could find was this article

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf

where 800XC = $784 and F800GS = $416

Could anyone confirm it?
As at 28th of March 2013: Spoke to my local Triumph dealer in Melbourne Australia and was told the following:
1st service $360
All minor services $360
Every 20k $1,140

Local BMW dealer:
1st service $280
All minor services $280
Every 20k $400 approx

Given the F800GS has superior running costs (can't speak for other spare parts) and better fuel economy, I am leaning towards this bike over the XC. For me, this is a huge factor as I have a daily commute of 100km not to mention the varied roads we have here in Au.

NB: This is my first post, glad to be here.
daytripper1970_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #225
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper1970_au View Post
As at 28th of March 2013: Spoke to my local Triumph dealer in Melbourne Australia and was told the following:
1st service $360
All minor services $360
Every 20k $1,140

Local BMW dealer:
1st service $280
All minor services $280
Every 20k $400 approx

Given the F800GS has superior running costs (can't speak for other spare parts) and better fuel economy, I am leaning towards this bike over the XC. For me, this is a huge factor as I have a daily commute of 100km not to mention the varied roads we have here in Au.

NB: This is my first post, glad to be here.
Welcome......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote