Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #5521
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
I don't think you need to re-jet for a 4.4% decrease in volume. If the bike was a little bit lean before it will be about perfect now. If it was rich you might need to lean it up a bit.
Ok-I'm going to roll with it.I just finished 200 miles today and it didn't skip a beat. Thanks.
thirstybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #5522
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstybuck View Post
Ok-I'm going to roll with it.I just finished 200 miles today and it didn't skip a beat. Thanks.
Unscrew the plug and have a look. It tells alot about condition
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #5523
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaDoW View Post
there is a way to play with the carb screw

take the 4.5mm from one of those

and place it under the carb screw
is a perfect fit and you can turn it with your fingers

If I'm reading you right, Walmart has those in the tool section made by Stanly.

It's (head is) uni-direction even if you turn the handle backwards. I love mine so much I made it a shoe box bed and tuck it in and read it a bed time story every night.

It's a silent air ratchet that's just as fast and requires NO air source. .

Plus, you can do a "wash your hands" motion and remove a fastener twice as fast...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Ro...t-3-8/14146071
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #5524
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
I hate to say it, but I will say it loudly. Fikse is dead wrong.

An aftermarket exhaust will flow much more air than stock, and the bike will be in a serious LEAN condition until you re-jet with larger size jets and possibly shimming the needle.

If you put an aftermarket can and haven't yet jetted richer, you take a real chance of putting a hole in your piston!

And I hate to say it but, has anyone ever thought of modding their existing exhaust?

I've been brain-bench testing the idea of:

Pull the core out, it's just a tube with perforated holes...

Then, using a punch, enlarge the existing perforated holes...

Then I went a mental step further and imagined if you used the punch (at a 90deg angle) creating sort of a cheese grader type hole.

Seems to me this would create a twist/ spin or swirl the air and possibly create a scavenging effect in the higher RPM band...

Maybe even use smaller holes front to back, or vise versa.

Havent tested it yet though... I just moved into a new house... with a very large garage

Oh and PS... The Husky 450's get like some 7hp when they shorten their Arrow(?) or stock can by 5".

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 09:51 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #5525
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Quote:
I just replaced the topend in my NX and I did the return trip for for a total of 400 miles this weekend. Serious monkey butt! I figured either I did or didn't do it right and I would find out pretty quickly. For those of you that are looking for some storage, I repurposed one of my Ortlieb waterproof bicycle panniers and fitted it to the NX. It's possible if you take the top latches off, turn them upside down and put them back on. I have it mounted flat with the opening pointing out away from the bike. I'll post a pic when I have more time. It makes getting the seat on and off a little cumbersome but it's doable.

The bike seems comfortable up to about 55: after that, mostly due to wind resistence, you really start to wring it out. Does that seem about average?

E: Pic

thirstybuck screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 09:56 PM Reason: Added Pics
Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #5526
mrb3w
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:

The bike seems comfortable up to about 55: after that, mostly due to wind resistence, you really start to wring it out. Does that seem about average?

Yeah, more or less. I usually get up to about 60-65 before it seems like the bike is straining. I've ridden it for sustained periods on the highway at 65-70 though and it didn't skip a beat.

that pannier setup looks good!
mrb3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #5527
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

If you're man enough, speaking for mine, I've done a ton of 100-miler's WOT the whole time. @ 90-95mph (indicated. +/- 10% inaccuracy) I65S Nashville to Pulaski TN. Just crouch down behind the little fairing and twist it to the throttle stop. An hour later and I was there. No issues other than a thigh cramp.

I'll just speculate a lot of you claiming lower speeds either have the wrong gears or severely worn engines or carbs.

Even Wiki says (said) it'll do 90.

Mine even has roll-on in top gear at 55mph. 27,205 on the clock. Bought it at 13,??? IIRC.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 11:21 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #5528
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
Yeah, mine runs 130 (km) easy and I could drop a few teeth from the back too.

Mine's close to 50000km and will get a new piston/ring set in a few months as a treat.

I'm 75kg btw. . .
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #5529
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:

running 13/41
(13 front, 41 rear sprocket)
on a stock 1989 model NX250 with 43,000 miles(69,000km's)

at 65mph indicated, running 5800 rpms....

Last week, i ran I-40 for 175 miles at indicated 82-85+mph....90F degree outside temps,
without a hiccup....and then ran the return route the same way...

Got a lot of 'looks' from a parade of Harleys clogging up the far left lane, I passed them at speed, and many of them seemed to be 'tapped' and struggling to keep up with me...

Was in the 'tuck' position...but the stock headlight cowl doesn't give much to tuck behind...

With the new K&N Mira filter, the midrange is FAT and 55mph is about the meat of the power.......in 4th gear....
don't have panniers or anything that isn't stock on my NX, to cause additional drag...

totally due for the next valve adjustment....did one at 20,000 miles....currently clocking 43,000+...
No parts will be replaced at this time....(piston/ring/valve/t.chain)

I'm 6.5 (1.98m) tall, 245lbs and broad..

valvecrusher screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 01:20 AM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #5530
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Chain cleaning

What do you guys use to clean your chains?
( Commercial solvent, Dealer product, or whatever? )
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #5531
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
[QUOTE=larry31;19350729]What do you guys use to clean your chains?
( Commercial solvent, Dealer product, or whatever? )[/QUOTE
atf. cheap, very effective. stay away from solvents korosene/mineral spirits... the o ring chains dont like solvents.
atf has lotsa great uses, penetrating oil,rrust inhibitor, it wont harm rubber and cleans,lubes,and protects from rust. just dont get it all over your tire!
in other nonrelated news, im gonna go get the bike outta storage and blast around the backyard next week! first time out this year, not registering it but itll be fun to play around...
and over the winter were going to try out the crf springs and the air filtro that valve crusher found
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #5532
thirstybuck
Adventurer

[QUOTE=valvecrusher;19350143

I'm 6.5 (1.98m) tall, 245lbs and broad..[/QUOTE]

I know the exhaust valves on the "new" head are a little tight so I anticipate that it will breath much better once they are adjusted. I don't actually know what sprocket set I have either so I will have to look. I did take to the crouch position and punched it up to 80-85 for a minute but at that point I was folded up on the little thing like an accordion.

Which reminds me, I'm 6'3"/192cm. I replaced the rear shock with a SV unit. How does one set the sag and and is there any way to make the bike taller? I would be happy with several inches taller.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #5533
177in70s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
NX250 picture 88, also appears on another thread

Picture used on another thread about "Dual Sport went off hitch carrier @60 mph" It survived, now going to also strap both tire bottoms to rail, because it came off by "squirting" forward and past the little ramp. Straps over seat just to control the loose ends.
177in70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #5534
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Tie down

Quote:
" Picture used on another thread about "Dual Sport went off hitch carrier @60 mph" It survived, now going to also strap both tire bottoms to rail, because it came off by "squirting" forward and past the little ramp. Straps over seat just to control the loose "

I wonder how much the front forks were compressed?
Hard to tell, Are the front forks using ratchet type straps? That would help to compress front end.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #5535
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Paranoid

Ugg. So I know I'm paranoid but I think I'm hearing cam chain play/slap that strarts around 4-5k rpms. I'd really just like to get this this straightened out so I can flog it on some trails and do some motocamping.

I KNOW that I set the timing properly when I put everything together initially and when I checked everything out today the intake cam was off a tooth. (!) That might explain the lack of power I had coming back. When I put it back together today, I advanced the tensioner manually after it "snapped" into place against the chain. Even after I did that I'm getting some noise. What the heck? Here is pic and video of the tensioner adjustment.

Cam Chain Tensioner

In the video when the tensioner moves backwards, I am doing that with the screwdriver the tensioner is good. I was trying to get a feel for the tension on the chain.

Do all chains follow the rule of drive chains, "too tight = rapid destruction" or is the cam chain meant to be pretty tight?
I'm looking to take a trip from western Pennsylvania to Connecticut if I am confident that everything is up to spec. Which, obviously, I am not. What the F(*& am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? Is the obvious answer that the chain is bad? How long should they last and how do I determine if it is shot?

Anyone NX owners in Western PA that wants to lend an ear? I could offer some cold beers for your service.

thirstybuck screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 10:37 PM Reason: Added info