Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #31
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I love Guiness! I did some research on B&Bs there in preparation for my (delayed) trip and I think you hit the nail. I've stayed in a few in the States and for the most part it was like being with family (but without the Guiness!)
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #32
SloLife
Masher

Oddometer: 21
Amazing Adventure!!!!

This trip really makes me miss my Ireland vacation. Not nearly as much fun as what you have already shown us, now I'm looking at flights back to the island!!! Keep up the awesome journey!!!
2002 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Versys
SloLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
nice work mate!

you should arrange to meet a few of the local adv inmates next time you come over! also give the north more of a chance next time theres good stuff up here too xD
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
timmie415
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 88
Excellent so far

Great photos and story so far, keep it up!

-tim
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,288
OK, I'm moving Ireland to the top of the list.

Nice RR. Thanks.

-dod
Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #36
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 305
Day 4

Westport to Galway.

Thank god for a noon checkout time and 600mg of ibuprofen and a greasy breakfast.

Got a later start today as I didn't quite pop out of bed like I have been on previous mornings... The last thing i clearly remember was nearly blowing guiness out my nose when I realized the irish band at the pub was playing George Michael's father figure. After taking a little extra time in town to clear the cobwebs I embarked on what should have been a 2 to 2.5 hour drive to drive through Galway on my way to the South. 7 hours later I find myself finally arriving in Galway after spending the day slowly driving through some pretty incredible landscape with frequent pitstops to wander around and soak up the views. Along the way...

This part of the drive oddly enough soaked up most of my time today. Driving through this section, an hour or two could pass easily without a single soul to be seen. The landscape was different then anything else I've seen on the island thus far, the air was still and had an almost loud silence to it if that makes sense. Complete solitude. Looking at these pictures still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Next time I come back to Ireland, I'm camping here.

A little civilization.

Saw some cars parked on the side of the road so I followed some hikers down a trail..

Another little roadside surprise.. Kylemoore Abbey

Kept cruising to the coast where I shot my favorite pictures from the trip..

My personal favorite

Oddly enough, today was by far my lowest mileage day and still felt like I drove the furthest. Scenery overload. I pull into Galway hangover-free and quite thirsty. Back in the saddle.

Glamour shot!

Love Galway, cool college town.

Up next: Galway to Dingle. That's right, Dingle.
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
SloLife
Masher

Aren't the people there awesome!!! I met some of the coolest people on my Ireland getaway, great stories and great company!!!
2002 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Versys
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloLife View Post
Aren't the people there awesome!!! I met some of the coolest people on my Ireland getaway, great stories and great company!!!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...781893&page=29

See post 434...

That being said, and in my experience, there are amazing people everywhere. It's the work of a few bad eggs that ruin it for the rest.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #39
SloLife
Masher

Sucks for him!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...781893&page=29

See post 434...

That being said, and in my experience, there are amazing people everywhere. It's the work of a few bad eggs that ruin it for the rest.

JG

That's too bad that happened to him, Dublin doesn't equate to the backwoods hill-jack towns you come across in your travels "off the beaten path" though. I consider Dublin the international hub for Ireland where you'll find all walks of life there. Galway and Cork and the others mentioned in this thread are where you find the universal "Southern Hospitality" I was referring to when it comes to the actual genuine friendships you make with strangers from different countries. I agree about the bad eggs mentioned though!!! SOB's need to be purged from the system!!!
2002 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Versys
Old 08-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #40
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Great ride report my friend, makes me very ashamed that I have a place in Donegal that all my family come from and was born and live here in Scotland and at the age of 49 have still yet to tour both. It was only recently on one of my many trips over to Ireland that I decided to make a detour from Larne around the Antrim coast to Derry, then onto Donegal. It was a fantastic day and we enjoyed the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge and the Giants Causeway. I will explore the North in greater detail sometime soon.
As for Donegal, most riders tend to visit Letterkenny or Donegal town and miss the real Donegal which to me is the Rosses area, Bloody Foreland and the west coast, next trip you should visit Glenveagh National Park, you could also set a day free to climb Errigal mountain, Donegal's highest mountain.
Sligo, Mayo and Galway I visited back in the eighties and the Conemara coast is as stunning as Donegal.
Your RR has now inspired me to concentrate on a tour of Ireland and Scotland as both are on my doorstep instead of Europe next year. Look forward to the rest of your report.
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #41
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Day 5

Galway to Dingle

I'm not sure if I stayed in the college part of town or if the entire town is a little rowdy at night. Last night I went to bed early then wound up getting back up at midnight to have a beer and a remarkably spicy kebab around the corner. The entire town was still raging with college kids, loud music, yelling, bottles breaking and even a scuffle in the Kebab house. Reminded me of nights of getting thrown out of bars in Chico in my younger years.
I felt right at home, although I must admit I did feel a little out of place drinking alone and a little too old to look like a college kid. Didn't want to be the creepy lone wolf hanging out at the college bar trying to perv out on the young girls. So I finished my kebab and headed back to the room to pass out again. Great town, I wish I had more time there and a drinking buddy.. Had a light breakfast and hit the road. Some parting shots..

To the Cliffs of Moher.

No walking on fire near seagulls?

Hobbits?

Get Sum

Killmer to Tarbert ferry. Love taking ferries, reminds me of taking the Sausalito ferry in SF when I was a kid with my dad. They always have the best snacks on board.

Unfortunately I didn't take very many pictures from the last part of the day as I was too busy getting rained on, hailed on, pissed on and blown all over the road. As said previously, I was wearing enough armor to look like a spaceman so the weather didn't bother me too much aside from cold hands. Apparently my gloves weren't Gore-tex, no big deal.

The road to Dingle was pretty impressive, I'll post more pictures of Dingle on day 6 as the weather was a little more cooperative.

I'm not sure entirely why this seems to happen more often now that I work as a nurse, but it seems every where I go I wind up getting involved in medical emergencies.. Even got involved with a person that fainted on the flight from Sacramento to Chicago on the way out. I arrive in Dingle and do my usual, find the main pub(Murphy's), go in order a beer and ask about a room. I drop my stuff off in the room and go back downstairs to have dinner and more beer. The bar was full of people, most dressed in black. Asked the bartender, apparently there was a funeral today which would explain the mood of the group. Out of nowhere there's commotion and people yelling behind me with people huddled on the ground. Turns out one of the ladies from the funeral had a seizure and hit the floor. I worked my way over to the group to try to help and over heard a woman with an American accent who apparently wasn't with the group but was asking all the right questions about the woman. Turns out she was a nurse as well so I started moving people and tables to make way for the ambulance to bring a stretcher in. We send the lady off and I wind up sitting down and talking with the American to find out where she's from. Small world, not only does she work in the bay area near where I work but she used to work at the same hospital I work at. We even know a couple of the same people, what are the odds...

A friend of mine from the town I grew up in referred me to Murphy's and told me to keep an eye our for a Placer County Sheriffs badge he remembered seeing. Found it
Enough excitement, time for bed. Big day tomorrow, I've been looking forward to the Ring of Kerry for a couple years

Next up: Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Ballycotton and a shitload of pictures
Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #42
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
hey man, i was up at whiterock beach (couple of miles outside portrush) on friday thought i would throw up a few pics i took, iirc you didnt make it there when you were in bushmills? i took these on my phone so not amazing pics but anyway... it was kind of an overcast day and windy but very warm, a lot of surfers were out! its the beach that dunluce castle looks down on if you remember where that is. you can maybe see the castle in the distance in some of my pics

looks like some foreign tourists had been to the beach that day!

you can just about see the castle in the distance in above pic^^

Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

That's gorgeous! Yeah I definitely missed more then a few things.. All the more excuse to come back out and have another try at it. This next time I have my dad on board for the trip and hopefully more. Still a year out but I can't wait!
-T
Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #44
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,186
You're making me miss the trip I took in '03. Started in Belfast worked my way to Dublin then across to Shannon and around Kenmare then up to Cong. Galway was insanely packed and aside from traffic fun for the races. Maybe I should see how those old shots clean up in Lightroom...

One odd thing I thought I'd noticed. While the Guinness did taste better over there, in Dublin the only place it was better was their "factory" tour. For some reason what the pubs were serving didn't to me measure up to the rest of Ireland.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #45
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

Nice job on the report & thanks for taking the time. I regret to say that although my Mother was born in Dublin & I spent a year in France when in my late 20's...I never set foot on Ireland. Dumb as hell.