User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
colodak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
When I was looking to purchase my first bike back in May, I spent nearly a month shopping around. Knew I wanted either a V-strom, Versys, or BMW G650 or F650.

Since I was working off some inheiritance money, I had upto $10,000 cash I could spend. But, there was a catch, 4 yr, 4 months earlier the wife and I had filed Chp. 13 bankruptcy, so I still cannot finance anything.

Walked into one Suzuki dealer, had one bike, sat on it, kicked the tires, salesman was beyond high pressure. Ended up buying a helmet from them, told them I would be back later to look at the bike more.

Next week, wife and I ended up at RPM Powersports (Suzuki, Polaris, CanAm dealer), only because they had a V-Strom 650 Adventurer ABS. Website said $9,500. Research showed the avg. price paid was just under $9,000 for the same. Cool, figured I would make a deal, since I was a cash buyer. All he wanted me to do was finance, when I told him I couldn't finance because of the ongoing bankruptcy, he suddenly became very judgemental. Telling that bikes are not guarenteed transportation in bankruptcy, and that none of their financing would touch me til the bankruptcy was 5 yrs beyond discharge. When I reminded him I was a cash buyer, he became even more indignant telling me I should give the cash to my creditors. I smiled and walked out.

Went next door to BMW/triumph. Discussed financing and cash purchases. They said if I wanted to finance, come back the day I received my BK discharge papers and they would finance me as long as I had 20% down. When I brought up a cash purchase, they were even happier, but didn't really have what I wanted at the time.

When I bought my Versys, looked at the bike one week, loved the color. Salesman had me believing the bike was used. Said I'd be back, two weeks later I stopped by again. Same bike still there, hmmm, looked it over, different salesman, fired it up, showed me it was brand new with 9 miles. Asked the price, told him I was a cash buyer and asked if they would deal (bike was 3 yrs old). He said maybe. 3 hrs later, wife and I went back, cash in hand. 45 minutes later, I was riding my new toy home, and for a price I was willing to pay.
colodak is offline   Reply With Quote