Nice August weather, eh!
Congrats on your new bikes!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Gee, just like a washing machine or any other appliance.

Yeah exactly. Except they don't come with instructions. Reminded me of the 54" rider mower I bought. PDI on a mower? Uh no thanks. The crate on that mower was so welll nailed that I broke out the chainsaw!

Most people couldn't care less about this sort of thing I know. Boring. Other people I know asked the Dealer for a CD of pics documenting every stage from arrival to him riding away and all the farkle installs he had them do in between.

For us riders without kids, we need something to counter all of our friends new born pics.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

For us riders without kids, we need something to counter all of our friends new born pics.
LOL! I suspected that.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Trek68
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Her: "What does the flashing snowflake mean?"
Me: "It's the new weather forcasting feature option, If you see a flashing raindrop, pull over and put your suit on".
Her: Blink, blink, blink (computing) "Really?"
Me: "Really. Nuthin but the best for you Honey."

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.
Trek68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Sh*t Happens

Well, it was fun while it lasted. 3 summers of touring....the Dragon, Great Lake Tour, East Coast trip featuring the Gaspe Peninsula and the Cabot Trail.....

They say most accidents happen close to home. Well, it was 27 C on Oct 25, she got home early from work and wanted to relieve some stress so took off by herself for a few hours. After an awesome ride, on a back street less than 5 min from home......this.

Yep, cager bad. Stopped at the sign then proceeded. She hit the brakes hard then cager stopped. She released the brakes to go around and.....cager went for it. With no time left to maneauver, she hit. Due to the violent turn of the handlebars on impact, she received a compressive fracture of her right wrist and whacked her head on the windscreen but didn't fall. Stunned, she let the bike fall underneath her. Since it was so warm out there were many dog walker witnesses and other bikers. A rider was on scene in a flash and happened to be a Fire Fighter. He immediately took control of the scene, walked her to the sidewalk and removed her gloves and jacket before the swelling made it impossible. The unknown rider picked up the bike, took the keys for her and made sure all her belongings made it into the ambulance. Emergency crews had appeared almost instantly and took her away. All things considered she was extremely lucky. She now sports fancy metal in her wrist, has lost her sense of smell and the leg burn from the exhaust has almost healed. Thank you unknown rider for your assistance.

Reaver screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 08:47 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Although her bike seemed to fare really well, Insurance wrote it off. The forks were bent, the bars and a steering stop was sheared. I didn't see the Dealer report but I guess it was too expensive to repair.

Ever the Trooper, today we picked up this one from a fellow ADV'r. Great Deal, wrong colour.

Now I know it's a minor thing to a lot of people, but this one is red. It doesn't match her gear and the pink dragon she earned. Anyone want to trade your White Aluminum Met Matte bodywork for red???? She wants the same colour as the original. We aren't the flashy type. My F8 is grey. I promised I'd make it the same as her old one. Help me out!

My strategy is to have her new bike in the garage, ready to go so she'll stay focused on her recovery and get back on the horse soon as the weather returns.

So there you have it, new in the box to the grave, a bike's life. RIP 658, you were faithful and awesome.

Enjoy your ride, even if you're just running errands. Any minute could be your last. Or your bike's.

ATGATT and ride safe all.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:

Enjoy your ride, even if you're just running errands. Any minute could be your last. Or your bike's.

QFT. Enjoy the ride while you can!
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
If you don't want to paint it you could also give white flat plastidip a go :)
gbtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Although her bike seemed to fare really well, Insurance wrote it off. The forks were bent, the bars and a steering stop was sheared. I didn't see the Dealer report but I guess it was too expensive to repair.

Ever the Trooper, today we picked up this one from a fellow ADV'r. Great Deal, wrong colour.

Now I know it's a minor thing to a lot of people, but this one is red. It doesn't match her gear and the pink dragon she earned. Anyone want to trade your White Aluminum Met Matte bodywork for red???? She wants the same colour as the original. We aren't the flashy type. My F8 is grey. I promised I'd make it the same as her old one. Help me out!

My strategy is to have her new bike in the garage, ready to go so she'll stay focused on her recovery and get back on the horse soon as the weather returns.

So there you have it, new in the box to the grave, a bike's life. RIP 658, you were faithful and awesome.

Glad she is riding again. I have a silver that I bought cuz it was a great deal. I really wanted red. If you were closer we could swap plastics.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
Glad she is riding again. I have a silver that I bought cuz it was a great deal. I really wanted red. If you were closer we could swap plastics.

NJ isn't that far, esp. if we met in PA some mild weekend. I'm close to Toronto. She's in NY all the time on business. Anyway, thanks. We'll see what the spring brings.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
NJ isn't that far, esp. if we met in PA some mild weekend. I'm close to Toronto. She's in NY all the time on business. Anyway, thanks. We'll see what the spring brings.
Sounds good. Come spring, I wouldn't mind taking a ride and meet somewhere in NY
Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #27
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Best of luck getting the bike resprayed/re-panelled and back on the road.

Thanks for the unboxing video; I've assembled a smaller bike from the crate before. Interesting to see how the F8 compares. Looks identical aside from BMW not having the audacity of putting a CYA term in the PDI notes advising that you do a valve clearance check before running it the first time!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Best of luck getting the bike resprayed/re-panelled and back on the road.

Thanks! I'm sure I can find a panel trader here somewhere. Colour goes the same with bike and exhaust choices. We have dull, quiet bikes and tend to observe things more. Others like blinding chrome with deafening engine noises that are an assault to the senses. "Look at me!! Vroom! I'm cool!' We prefer the sublety of passing those types when their heads are turned (looking for admirers) without them even realizing we were there. To each his own, ride and let ride.

The F650GS singles were (or still are?) produced by Aprillia. They employed a lot of.....tip toeing here......Indian and Pakistani workers. When uncrating these bikes it smelled like you were in a foreign cafeteria. We often left those bikes outside for the day.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #29
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
Sorry to hear about the accident!!

Hope she's back on the bike soon (when weather permits) and you're both ridin' around!!

Good luck!

Dave
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #30
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
That sucks man, my wife just went through a serious wrist break and it took forever to heal. Make sure she does all the physio, hope she heals up fast. Looks like you've got a keeper there.